Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeons & People > General Discussions

Posted 15th July 2009, 05:35 AM

feed corn?

hi
what are advantages and disadvatages to feeding corn?
i am new and learning.
thanks

Posted 15th July 2009, 06:10 AM
To tell you the truth, I don't know. Once feed prices went up here, our pigeons have done very well on just whole corn and scratch. But i don't know the advantages. Sorry.
Posted 15th July 2009, 07:02 AM
it has carbs, which provide energy, but too much can turn to fat. Corn is one of them others are rice, wheat, followed by barley and oats. It is good to give whole as the germ in the middle of the kernal is not exposed to the eliments as corn goes bad easy, so cracked corn can get contaminated easily while in storage, maybe not at your place but you never know what goes on before the corn gets to you, best to keep that kernal protected as a whole piece. If you are not racing some don't give corn in the summer months, but give it the winter as it helps to give energy to keep warm. it is a standard in many feed mixes, just up to you how much you want them to have according to what your doing with your birds.
Posted 15th July 2009, 09:14 AM
I got some show kings from a breeder that shows all over the eastern 1/2 of the US. He told me NEVER to feed cracked corn, it can cause some fatal problem (sorry forgot what). But whole corn is fine. I give mine shell corn every am, they fly down to meet me.
Posted 15th July 2009, 09:22 AM
Corn is excellent source of fat, and helps keep your birds warm in the winter. my birds prefer to eat more in the winter also, and eat little in the summer.

Corn is an excellent source of beta carotene, the pro form of vitamin A, which is important for healthy eyes and more. The deeper color of yellow to orange the corn is the more beta-carotene's it has.

Every negative event effects my ability to own my APBT, please be a responsible owner and keep your pitbull out of trouble.
Posted 15th July 2009, 09:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh View Post
I got some show kings from a breeder that shows all over the eastern 1/2 of the US. He told me NEVER to feed cracked corn, it can cause some fatal problem (sorry forgot what). But whole corn is fine. I give mine shell corn every am, they fly down to meet me.
"Cracked corn can scratch their throats"...suposedly, but for years, before Pigeon mix was available here, I fed cracked corn and didn't notice that my Pigeons had any trouble.

If all the beasts were
gone, men would die
from great loneliness of
spirit, for whatever
happens to the beasts
also happens to the man.
Seattle 1736-1866

Another Life, Gone To The Birds!

DO NO HARM

Member, International Wildlife Rehabilitation Council
Posted 15th July 2009, 01:30 PM

corn

thanks for the replys
mark
Posted 1st September 2009, 12:46 PM
This is my first post, so I'll try not to embarrass myself. Just got 2 pair of homers for my first pigeons in 20 years. Looking around for feed, all I could find is chicken scratch with cracked corn, milo, wheat, couple other things. I'm thinking, ok, looks alright til I find something better. Then I see several places on the forum where cracked corn can scratch their throats or cause harm to the crop...

Seems unbelievable to me that cracked corn is bad for them for this reason, but it is good and necessary for them to eat tiny shards of oyster shell and ground up pieces of granite.

Anyway, love the site. Lots of good info on here. Just found the logic around cracked corn a little ironic.
Posted 2nd September 2009, 05:36 PM

Russian Roulette

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh View Post
YES this is true if the cracked corn gets moldy, and you happen to feed it to your bird,fungal disease ASPERGILLOSIS or CANDIDIASIS. Aspergillosis is a respiratory disese while Candidasis is a digestive tract disease. I know that there will be those that will say that they feed cracked corn and they have no problems. They have been lucky. They are playing RUSSIAN ROULETTE with their birds and sooner or later their birds will get sick. GEORGE
Posted 2nd September 2009, 06:03 PM
To add to this post, i have a question. Where do you normally get whole kernal corn for that purpose?
randymcone@yahoo.com
Posted 2nd September 2009, 06:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by randymcone View Post
To add to this post, i have a question. Where do you normally get whole kernal corn for that purpose?
Hi RANDY, First thing there 3 types of corn, POP, HYBRID, and WHOLE CORN. Of the three whole corn is the largest and in my view realy not good, large pigeons can handle it but I find a lot is not eaten because of the size.Hybrid is a bit small and very uniform in size larger birds can handle it ok.POP corn is the smallest and can be handled by most pigeons it is the most expensive while the other two are about the same in price. The protien for POP is 10%, fat is about3%, Hybrid protien 11%, fat about4%. I get my corn at JEDDS pigeon supply house,so I am not much help to those that are in other parts of the country. ...GEORGE

Last edited by george simon; 2nd September 2009 at 06:33 PM.
Posted 2nd September 2009, 06:35 PM
Thank you George
randymcone@yahoo.com
LokotaLoft
Posted 2nd September 2009, 08:32 PM
crack corn never dun me wrong and yeah grit is way sharper then corn so not sure where this theory came from myself

Tags
corn