Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeons & People > General Discussions

Posted 23rd February 2009, 12:06 PM

How do you feel about pigeon-theft?

Pigeon fanciers,

I am conducting a persuasive speech within the coming weeks and need your input. It is not going to be national or anything, but rather a speech for my COMM 1101 course and need opinions to support it the best that I can.

SORRY THERE IS A CHANGE IN QUESTION.....IGNORE THE THREAD QUESTION...

If I was to argue in making the hobby of PIGEON KEEPING legal, what are some inputs and ideas that you can offer to support that argument?

Thank you.

Na

Last edited by snake08; 25th February 2009 at 10:08 PM. Reason: change in question
Posted 24th February 2009, 11:52 AM
Hi snake,

It is not really very clear what your question is.

If you are asking us how we feel about crime, because that is exactly what stealing is about, the answer I should think is self-evident and obvious. Thieves should be hung up by their thumbs.

If you are asking us about the practice of cutting the band off a registered pigeon and trying to keep it, same answer. The pigeon usually goes home anyway so it is a waste of time.

Anyway, I assume you probably own some property, perhaps a car or some valuable clothing yourself. How do you feel about someone stealing that? (Are you a real college student or just a joker?)
Posted 24th February 2009, 02:27 PM
Read the blogs on David Clausing.com even the FBI got in on it. If your birds are worth $10 who cares, I have several thousand $ in my birds, the thief better hope the cops find them befor i do.
Dave
Posted 24th February 2009, 04:11 PM
The cops will not waste their time on car theft let alone stolen pigeons. At least that's the case around here. Someone had broken into my car and took my stereo system, I filed a report with the police and asked the cop to be honest with me about what is going to happen with the investigation of my stolen property and guess what he said......I quote "sir to be honest there are a lot more serious issues going around here and finding a stolen stereo system is not one of them" so I said thanks for being honest and walked away. If I continued to follow up on my case then maybe they would have done more but I seriously doubt that they would waste their time because no one was shot or killed. I was very upset that whole day thinking that I pay taxes to support a crapy law enforcement system like we have. If I shot the guy who stole my stereo system then I would be the one going to jail! They would be on me like white on rice! Go figure....lol.

Henry aka "g0ldenb0y55"
Website - http://triplesloft.webs.com/
Pigeon Pictures - http://www.flickr.com/photos/g0ldenb0y55/
Pinoy Pigeon Club - http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/group.php?groupid=15
Posted 24th February 2009, 04:18 PM
How do I feel about pigeon theft?...ummm.....it's bad.
Posted 24th February 2009, 04:23 PM
I am APPALED! I do not think we should allow any pigeons to STEAL! it would only hurt our efforts to improve their image!..... OH, You mean someone stealing your birds! SORRY. Dave...
Posted 24th February 2009, 04:41 PM
Dave - you are too much bro!Lol....I want whatever you had today!

Henry aka "g0ldenb0y55"
Website - http://triplesloft.webs.com/
Pigeon Pictures - http://www.flickr.com/photos/g0ldenb0y55/
Pinoy Pigeon Club - http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/group.php?groupid=15
Posted 24th February 2009, 04:46 PM
LOL! two Milwaukee's best, And waking up at 5:am this morning, and being on here till, about 1:30 am. last night, try it it works for me, NOT, Dave, P.S. I am SO tired!
Posted 24th February 2009, 05:25 PM
Damn! They must be onto me, I've been training my pigeons to pull off a bank heist just like the Doberman Gang!! LOL!! Just kidding, Really, I swear...
Posted 24th February 2009, 05:51 PM
I have been vandalized many times and cops wont do anything, but just gather info and becomes statistics. They always say they don't have resources/money to do something. They probably think that someone stealing your pigeons is not a big deal. Obviously stealing is stealing--a crime, but it wont be on their higher list of agenda of solving it. Shoot someone who is stealing your pigeons or you get shot because of some thief and you will end with lots of cops at your place. That will be higher priority to them. It is a matter of life and death. It is all in perspective and resources.
Posted 24th February 2009, 06:58 PM
I feel the thieves deserve a shot to the leg. Not kidding. $10 bird or $10,000 bird.
Posted 24th February 2009, 07:01 PM
Pigeon theft... Hang'em up by their thumbs. I like that. I live in the rural area of our county and have some really nosy neighbors, so any cars around here get noticed and someone has the plate number written down.
Would I shoot someone stealing my pigeons? No, but I might fire a round or two to get their attention. Cattle rustling is still big here in Missouri, so shots fired at a farm usually gets the sheriff out here pretty quick. Neighbor had some cattle loaded up by the midnight thieves and we blocked the gate so they could not get out of the field. One guy tried going through the fence and ditch along side the road and got his truck stuck.
I do believe I would try to detain the thief until the law enforcement folks arrived. It is a pretty tricky situation and hard to say what you would really do in a situation like that.
I take a very dim look at theft. I figure if I have something you need (As opposed to want) you just have to ask. You steal from me and I will push it as far as the court system will allow me to.
Just my two-cents worth. Any other questions, please feel free to send me a message.
Posted 24th February 2009, 07:44 PM
Pigeon-Theft? No i don't like the sound of it and I agree on what Kimberly say, no matter if your bird worth $10 or more than a grand, stealing is a crime and shud not be ignored by the law enforcement...Once an intruder sense their crime is being ignored by the authorities they'll keep on doing it...
Posted 24th February 2009, 08:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberly_CA View Post
I feel the thieves deserve a shot to the leg. Not kidding. $10 bird or $10,000 bird.
To the leg or...elsewhere! Theft of dogs, cats, birds....and what then happens to these innocent animals??? Makes my blood boil and my skin crawl! I also understand that there are HUGE issues that law enforcement must deal with...and their resources are stretched beyond thin. It's not a good situation for any one or thing ... except, maybe, the thieves.

Life asks alot. It's how we answer that matters.

http://4winds.zenfolio.com
Posted 25th February 2009, 05:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by snake08 View Post
Pigeon fanciers,

I am conducting a persuasive speech within the coming weeks and need your input. It is not going to be national or anything, but rather a speech for my COMM 1101 course and need opinions to support it the best that I can.

How do you feel about pigeon-theft?

Should it be view more serious by the police department?

Or to what extent will the police department take action in finding the thieves?

Any other concerns/thoughts?

Thank you.

Na
This actually sounds like a very odd question.

I mean for research you could ask anyone who has had something of value taken from them, how they "feel" about it. Why the subject pigeon-theft ? I mean for the most part, the theft of anything, is generally given low priorty by police departments, other then filing a report. There are too many armed robberies, rapes, murder's and other such crimes of violence to contend with. On any given night in good ole York, Pa population 70,000 or so...there are only about 10 cops on the street at any one time, and they are normally backed up with a dozen different calls at anyone time, and sometimes more. What are they expected to do, assign a couple of detectives to track down your stolen goods ?

I mean of all the subjects you could talk about, why the subject of pigeon-theft ? Unless your research is not really for making a speech at school, but for some other purpose ? ........

If it is for school, just look up kidnapping, and insert the word pigeon. If you stole one of my birds, it would be nearly like stealing a family member. And if I caught you in the act, I would surely go to jail, because they would be taking you off in a body bag. The 8' tall fence, and the attack dog signs, should already give you an indication that I am serious, so if a person is that brain dead, to not know that I am serious, then they must be really dangerous, and I will take steps to protect myself.

Tags
pigeon-theft