Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeons & People > General Discussions

Posted 7th May 2011, 11:49 PM

How to make Fake Pigeon eggs?

Guys could you help me out on how to make fake eggs for my racers. dont want them to overpopulate my loft hehehe. I have tried asking some pet shops here in our place if they sell fake eggs but unfortunately they dont so im going to make it myself. Any suggestion like materials to be used etc is highly appreciated

Posted 8th May 2011, 12:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ishae_clanx View Post
Guys could you help me out on how to make fake eggs for my racers. dont want them to overpopulate my loft hehehe. I have tried asking some pet shops here in our place if they sell fake eggs but unfortunately they dont so im going to make it myself. Any suggestion like materials to be used etc is highly appreciated
You can make them out of wood or clay, and paint them white. Probably easier if you order some from a pigeon supply house. They are $6.15 per dozen at New England Pigeon Supply (http://www.nepigeonsupplies.com/nesting_supplies.htm)
Posted 8th May 2011, 12:35 AM
Sometimes you can find them in craft stores as well (Wood ones) that crafters use for decorations. Might be able to find some on clearance now since easters over.
Posted 8th May 2011, 01:29 AM
Take the ones they lay and hard boil them and wala .. I've never done it so I don't know how long they last but I've read it .. good luck let me know how long before they smell lol
Posted 8th May 2011, 03:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knoc View Post
Sometimes you can find them in craft stores as well (Wood ones) that crafters use for decorations. Might be able to find some on clearance now since easters over.
nice idea man..gonna look tomorrow LOL
Posted 8th May 2011, 03:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptras View Post
You can make them out of wood or clay, and paint them white. Probably easier if you order some from a pigeon supply house. They are $6.15 per dozen at New England Pigeon Supply (http://www.nepigeonsupplies.com/nesting_supplies.htm)
im just wondering on how to make the clay rock solid so that even though i may fall it wont break?hmmm how about concrete??hehehe
Posted 8th May 2011, 09:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ishae_clanx View Post
im just wondering on how to make the clay rock solid so that even though i may fall it wont break?hmmm how about concrete??hehehe
We have a product from Crayola for the kids called "Air-Dry Clay." It is some type of polymer material that is soft and pliable out of the bucket, and dries to a hard plastic-feeling material. Once dry, it doesn't break even when the kids use and abuse it.
Posted 8th May 2011, 09:13 PM
I just whittle them out of a broom stick. They work fine, color doesn't see to matter.
Posted 9th May 2011, 04:39 AM
Has any one ever tried Play Dough???
Posted 9th May 2011, 05:48 AM
I have purchased a clay that sets hard once exposed to air .......I found it difficult to mold the same as a pigeon egg , you can the use a clear nail polish to finish them off .
Personally I was never happy with the end result and never tried using them . I reverted back to boiling my eggs ....this needs to be done very soon after the second egg is laid . I use the bolied eggs for ( 1 ) term of 18 days and once they are abandoned I then discard them and start the whole process again when they next lay .
Posted 9th May 2011, 06:30 AM
boil and replace...lol.. that is if you can not find any at a craft store..usually they have wooden eggs for crafts there.
Posted 9th May 2011, 06:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by whytwings View Post
I have purchased a clay that sets hard once exposed to air .......I found it difficult to mold the same as a pigeon egg , you can the use a clear nail polish to finish them off .
Personally I was never happy with the end result and never tried using them . I reverted back to boiling my eggs ....this needs to be done very soon after the second egg is laid . I use the bolied eggs for ( 1 ) term of 18 days and once they are abandoned I then discard them and start the whole process again when they next lay .
I would expect this to be the best option. It is the least cost and effort, and less chance of savvy pigeon mamas realizing that they are fake and stopping sitting on them.
Posted 12th May 2011, 02:08 AM

Stones

What about smooth, round, white stones? I believe my father use this method. I'll have to check back with him, but I am 99.9% sure he did. This would be the best and most cost effective solution.
Posted 12th May 2011, 06:04 AM
Golf balls!

"It is not only fine feathers that make fine birds." - Aesop

~Semper Fidelis~
Posted 12th May 2011, 06:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryOfExeter View Post
Golf balls!
Hmmmm..........thats good thinking

Tags
eggs