Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeons & People > General Discussions

Posted 31st July 2012, 09:32 AM

is this the orginal breed of silky fantail

I want to know whether my silky fantail in the picture is pure or not.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 564664_446954318682755_1803648615_n.jpg (43.6 KB, 98 views)
Posted 31st July 2012, 10:07 AM
um it looks a little ruogh and i have never heard of a silky fantail maybe a indian fantail

Posted 31st July 2012, 10:16 AM

yes

Its indian fantail but its is a special bread you can watch it from their tails and feathers.
Posted 31st July 2012, 02:37 PM
its just a variant of Indian fantail,silky fantail is not a separate breed !!!
Posted 1st August 2012, 05:37 AM

More pics of my silky

Have a close look at the pic Have you seen this type of fantail. its name is silky fantail.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 165860_447602935284560_1994882959_n.jpg (98.0 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg 599539_447602975284556_1458512517_n.jpg (91.8 KB, 68 views)
Posted 1st August 2012, 06:35 AM
Yeah,its just a mutation in a fantail Its known as Silky Fantail Pigeon or Lace Fantail
Posted 1st August 2012, 06:44 AM
I just want to know is this bread is orginal or not.
Posted 1st August 2012, 06:44 AM
Thanks for the reply
Posted 1st August 2012, 10:41 AM
I'm not really sure what you are asking. Yes, these are fantails. They look like Indians, if they are crested. If not, they are mixes. And yes, they have the silky mutation. Silky can occur in any breed. It is not a separate breed itself. That's like trying to say a blue bar fantail is a separate breed from a red bar fantail.

"It is not only fine feathers that make fine birds." - Aesop

~Semper Fidelis~
Posted 1st August 2012, 10:43 AM
Also, do NOT breed two silkies together. Homozygous silky birds have very brittle feathers and they look like half bald porcupines.

~Semper Fidelis~
Posted 1st August 2012, 12:21 PM
If the Silkie Fantail is not a breed then why do you not hear about it occuring in other breeds of pigeon? I know the Silkie Fantail is a genetic mutation of an indian, but we've always treated them as their own kind.
Posted 1st August 2012, 12:37 PM
It does occur in other breeds. Homers, Rollers, Kings, Indian Fantails, American Fantails...it can occur in any breed and can be introduced into any breed. Most people do not want it. I'm getting a silky homer soon to put with my flightless cockbird Silky is basically the same thing as frizzle in chickens. Even though frizzles are usually bantam cochins, does not mean they are a separate breed or that it doesn't happen in others or that people are not introducing it. They still conform to the same standard that smooth feathered birds do. Silky doves as well.

~Semper Fidelis~
Posted 1st August 2012, 05:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryOfExeter View Post
It does occur in other breeds. Homers, Rollers, Kings, Indian Fantails, American Fantails...it can occur in any breed and can be introduced into any breed. Most people do not want it. I'm getting a silky homer soon to put with my flightless cockbird Silky is basically the same thing as frizzle in chickens. Even though frizzles are usually bantam cochins, does not mean they are a separate breed or that it doesn't happen in others or that people are not introducing it. They still conform to the same standard that smooth feathered birds do. Silky doves as well.
The frizzle feather pattern of chickens really doesn't associate with Silky pigeons. Their feathers are not deteriorated, they just curl backwards. If you meant the Silkie chickens, whose feathers are deteriorated like the Silky fantails, those are an actual breed. If you cross a silkie with a silkie you will get a silkie. So it is not a randomly occuring mutation, the Silkie Chicken is an actual breed, developed in China. If you mix a silkie with a non-silkie you will not get a silkie(I've tried it with Americana x Silkie), so yes the pattern is a heterozygous mutation but it is one tempered into a breed.
I really don't see why a homozygous line of silky fantails could not be a breed. The mutation is not longer randomly occuring.

As for the original question, yes, they look like the original breed of Silky fantail.
Posted 1st August 2012, 07:47 PM
The Fantails You Pictured Are Of Indian Fantail Type . Silky Is A Mutation Of The Feather. So It Happens In Other Breeds Of Pigeons And Doves. The Black Bird Has What Is Called Splayed Wing Were The Wing Feathers Do Not Fit Normally Against The Body Do Not Breed Silky To Silky You Can Breed To Normal Feathered Bird And Get Silkies Carriers Of It And No Carries They Will Look Normal You Will Have To Know The Breeding Behind Them. Raised Both Fantails And Dove With The Mutation And They Are Easy To Raise Just Make Sure They Have Feed And Water They Can Reach . Best Way I Found Was Off The Ground And Seperate Breeding Compartments.
Posted 1st August 2012, 09:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdofthegauntlet View Post
The frizzle feather pattern of chickens really doesn't associate with Silky pigeons. Their feathers are not deteriorated, they just curl backwards. If you meant the Silkie chickens, whose feathers are deteriorated like the Silky fantails, those are an actual breed. If you cross a silkie with a silkie you will get a silkie. So it is not a randomly occuring mutation, the Silkie Chicken is an actual breed, developed in China. If you mix a silkie with a non-silkie you will not get a silkie(I've tried it with Americana x Silkie), so yes the pattern is a heterozygous mutation but it is one tempered into a breed.
I really don't see why a homozygous line of silky fantails could not be a breed. The mutation is not longer randomly occuring.

As for the original question, yes, they look like the original breed of Silky fantail.
No, I meant Frizzle. Homozygous Frizzle chickens and homozygous Silky pigeons look very similar. They have very brittle feathers that often break off and leave the bird quite bald. They are flightless and may need extra heat in the winter. Both Silky and Frizzle are incomplete dominant genes. You must breed smooth to silky (or frizzle) to keep the same phenotype going. Otherwise, you get very ugly undesirable birds.
Silkie in chickens is a recessive mutation. Therefore, all silkie chickens are going to look the same basically. They do not develop the same severe feather problems in the homozygous form because it will only show to begin with in the homozygous form.

~Semper Fidelis~