Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeons & People > General Discussions

Posted 19th February 2012, 10:56 PM
Smile

NZ Pigeon Keepers?

Hey PT,
I'm new to the forum (It's great!) and was wondering if there's any other NZ or Canterbury Keepers here (I've met a few already .) Because I'm new to pigeon keeping (see other thread) I don't know much about pigeon clubs and supplies in the area so It'd be awesome if you guys could let me know of some good places to buy pigeon supplies, new birds and meet people in the Canterbury area (Breeders, Pigeon Clubs, Vets etc.) Also some NZ specific tips on keeping pigeons in our climate would be excellent.
Look forward to meeting some more NZers and some other Cantabs!

Angus

Last edited by Angusp2; 20th February 2012 at 12:14 AM. Reason: Fixing grammar
Posted 20th February 2012, 12:33 AM
there are 2 clubs running in Chch and poultry and pigeon club in north canty (rangiora).

You can contact Bob (UPFA) on 3238058 or Rick (NZNPA) on 3585661. I myself am in ohoka, about 15 min from woodend.

The difference between pets and pest is only on which side of the fence they're standing on. Keep your animals in your own property.
Posted 20th February 2012, 12:35 AM
Angus the best place I could suggest going for cheap bulk pigeon food is specialty seeds on haytons road, you can google search them. I buy wheat, brown pea and maze there.

But as you only have one pigeon you could go to burwood produce and buy a pigeon mix or just mix your own. pigeons do best on a mix of corn or maze, brown pea (maple pea) and wheat.

Sorghum is their favourite treat.

And this is the website I used once for some supplements

http://www.seedandfeed.co.nz/index.php

Don't go to a vet. they charge $40 just for the consoltation, treatments are on top of that. let a local pigeon guy look at it if you think its sick. I would be happy to help if need be.

Luke
Posted 21st February 2012, 12:29 AM
Hi, I am a NZ squab also. However I am based in Wellington. Thanks for your question 'cos now I have Luke's helpful link to cheaper bird seed. It's a greqt help to have all these experts on tap isn't it. I have been struggling mostly by myself for about four years now without realizing what help I could have been getting from this site, until today!
Cheers,
Heather
Posted 21st February 2012, 12:47 AM
Wow, All these NZ members coming out of the woodwork, I wonder if PT will give me a gift If I claim to have publicised the site and attracted all the new members. Unfortunately I cannot take any credit, Feathers- Sorry I do not know of anyone in Wellington but with the links from nzpouter you should be able to find some contacts.

I did send some birds to wellington once but have not got their details anywhere.
Posted 21st February 2012, 01:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by feather45 View Post
Hi, I am a NZ squab also. However I am based in Wellington. Thanks for your question 'cos now I have Luke's helpful link to cheaper bird seed. It's a greqt help to have all these experts on tap isn't it. I have been struggling mostly by myself for about four years now without realizing what help I could have been getting from this site, until today!
Cheers,
Heather
do you want some contacts in welly?

The difference between pets and pest is only on which side of the fence they're standing on. Keep your animals in your own property.
Posted 21st February 2012, 01:07 PM
Thanks for your reply Evan. I do have some contacts here as I have sold several birds to Wellingtonians through Trademe and I have meet with some people from the Racing Pigeon club. I also joined the Wgtn Pigeon and Poultry club but the people who attend the meetings regularly are mostly interested on poultry. I went to the vet once with a sick bird and he advised me to join a pigeon club like his father had when he kept pigeons. He said the members know better than vets generally about what to do and it's cheaper. So I did. Being so obsessed with pigeons I am always keen to meet like minded folk.
Cheers,
Heather
Posted 14th June 2012, 08:30 PM

Birmingham Roller Pigeons

Hi All, I am based in wgtn. My father introduced me to pigeons as a young lad... like they say "Pigeons are in my blood". Dad got a few pairs of racers from a friendly chap in houghton bay.. this is going back 1989? From there we ended up with 40odd birds?? Anyway we had to get rid of them as they became too much work.. Anyway, I have bought my own place and now live in kingston.. I have built a 5star loft for my new rollers which arrives this wednesday from a lovely chap in Waipawa.. But I need to find a good/cheap place to buy my pigeon seeds.. If anyone can help that will be great. Thank you all..
Posted 14th June 2012, 09:50 PM
Hi, I am also in Wgtn. I have recently found homes for all of mine as I got too many. I have a lot of seed left. If you want to email me on gorgeous feathers@gmail.com we could make contact.
Cheers,
Heather
Posted 15th June 2012, 07:18 AM
Welcome to Pigeon Talk nzroller, feather45, and Angusp2. And to any others who have not been formally welcomed here before. Hope you all enjoy the forum. It has a lot of useful information on everything pigeon and dove related.
Posted 15th June 2012, 02:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ Pigeon View Post
Wow, All these NZ members coming out of the woodwork, I wonder if PT will give me a gift If I claim to have publicised the site and attracted all the new members..
LOL, that's exactly what I was going to say
Welcome newcomers!

http://cottageontheseacoastloft.weebly.com/index.html
"In Solitude there is Strength, In Strength there is Spirit"
Posted 15th June 2012, 02:46 PM
I didn't even know there were this many people living in New Zealand, lol.
Posted 15th June 2012, 03:24 PM
Haaa ha.

There is a pigeon show on today and tomorrow here in Christchurch and then a poultry and pigeon show next weekend. I penned a few birds lastnight. Judging thismornming. I can't wait to go this afternoon and see who won.
Posted 16th June 2012, 08:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy View Post
I didn't even know there were this many people living in New Zealand, lol.
Hahahahaha!! Good one!
Posted 16th June 2012, 08:32 PM
Lol, I actually wanted to move to New Zealand after I graduaded High School but it wasnt meant to be. It is one of the most beautiful places on earth IMO.

Tags
advice, canterbury, chat, new bird owner, new zealand