Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeons & People > General Discussions

Posted 29th January 2014, 08:01 PM

Fay S

I too watched the white birds being released. I don't care whether they be doves or pigeons I am absolutely sickened by everyone that does this at weddings. If they want a 'good' or 'lucky' ritual what is wrong with helium filled white balloons that burst when they get too high.

Posted 30th January 2014, 01:09 AM
Hello. I think releasing doves can mean giving freedom to something that used to be free and saving it from someone's table. Some people still consume doves and pigeons so this ritual may still be alive in meaning. I too have been frustrated in the past about meat breed pigeons or small doves being released at ceremonies. That is how i started to get back into keeping pigeons years ago by finding them all homes. I would volunteerd the rescues for the same type of use because they learned to home or were trained to fly from a portable loft. The only good i see about releasing the small doves is that by some chance, someone may find it alive and keep it as a pet just like we do with other birds that we find in the street. I too once liberated my two found doves in the hills hoping that they would survive better than in the city. I did not know then. But I have seen those same types of doves surviving better in the city where people feed them. They have some homing instinct and fly pretty fast. I was amazed. Pigeons always amaze me because they are all around us.
To Fay S: helium balloons may sound good today but tomorrow those may get replaced with aluminum balloons that do not pop and may cause fires and are like trash when they land.
Posted 30th January 2014, 08:11 AM
oh for Pete's sake! homing pigeons were bred and built to fly and home back to their loft/cave just like their wild bretheren ,but perhaps even more robust. the point is releasing ring neck doves is losing them , because they gets lost and attacked more readily than bigger more robust birds ,RN doves have nothing on the flying skills of pigeons and RN's are not real smart and very domestic.Them and homing pigeons really they are like apple and organges. pigeons are survivors. I free fly my white homers and have not lost one in a few years so put a sock in it! That is my opinion just as others had theirs. The End.

Last edited by spirit wings; 30th January 2014 at 08:18 AM.
Posted 30th January 2014, 08:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spirit wings View Post
oh for Pete's sake! homing pigeons were bred and built to fly and home back to their loft/cave just like their wild bretheren ,but perhaps even more robust. the point is releasing ring neck doves is losing them , because they gets lost and attacked more readily than bigger more robust birds ,RN doves have nothing on the flying skills of pigeons and RN's are not real smart and very domestic.Them and homing pigeons really they are like apple and organges. pigeons are survivors. I free fly my white homers and have not lost one in a few years so put a sock in it! That is my opinion just as others had theirs. The End.
You have the right to express your opinion, but not to be abusive while doing it. You do not have the right to tell anyone to put a sock in it.
Posted 30th January 2014, 08:26 AM
I just did. and it was not directed to anyone it's an opinion.
Posted 30th January 2014, 09:54 AM
You WILL watch how you express your opinion to others. You can do so without using offensive wording. There is no reason to be so mean spirited. Enough said!!!!!!

Last edited by almondman; 30th January 2014 at 10:05 AM.
Posted 30th January 2014, 11:33 AM
I'm glad you haven't lost any and I hope they are banded so when they do get lost, injured or sick you will go pick them up and reimburse financially the wildlife rehabiltator or animal shelter that has used what little funds they need to care for your birds
If you do you are a rare one indeed
Take a look on pet finder at all the loft birds that have been taken in by shelters
I know rehabbers from all over the world and we all take on the burdens of lost unwanted birds
Posted 30th January 2014, 12:55 PM
Well, that does not look like any crow I am familiar with. But I don't know what it is. The only attacks on pigeon by crows that I am familiar with. Are attacks against pigeons unable to fly. That picture is mighty interesting.

Secondly. Every time someone allows a pigeon or dove to fly free. It is subject to attack by any number of predators, or to injury from wires, hunters, kids with pellet guns, etc.

What is supposed to be done with homing pigeons? No free flying? No racing?

What is to be done with Tipplers, high flyers, Swifts, etc? No free flying? No nothing but being in a cage?

Precautions should be taken, for sure. But to not let birds "fly" is abnormal. It is nature that predators go after prey.

We should be more upset with humans going after prey, than animal predators going after prey. They are just following their nature. But humans doing their thing against defenseless animals is a totally different ballgame.

I am sorry for the loss of any life. Human or animal. But it happens. Every day. Every minute. Every second.
Posted 30th January 2014, 01:01 PM
One thing I would like to mention along these lines. I know several people that do "white dove releases" for weddings and funerals. Prices range from $120 to 320 per release. Depending on the number of birds released.

What saddens me, is that many of the white dove releasers really don't care much if the white pigeon comes home or not. It the birds do. Great. If they don't, then the owner just sold a pigeon or three, for $50 each.

Sadly, that more than justifies the loss to many of them. Some don't even train their birds, or just train them a couple of times, out to five miles or so.

I have a loft full of white homers. If I ever decide to do white dove releases, you can bet your bibby that my birds will have adequate trianing prior. But no matter how much training, birds can be attacked by predators. And they can be attacked during training. I know it and the birds know it. Fact of life #23.

Last edited by conditionfreak; 30th January 2014 at 01:03 PM.
Posted 30th January 2014, 01:08 PM
Is this story true? If so, it seems it worked out okay.

"The release of a white dove is a traditional symbol of peace and tranquility. Like the olive branch, and more recently the peace symbol, the white dove is recognized worldwide as an icon of hope, love and friendship. That is, until it almost gets eaten by a seagull.

On the final Sunday of January, 2,000 young people from Rome marched to the Vatican for the annual Caravan of Peace. These youngsters, members of Youth Catholic Action, went to hear the Pope speak and watch him release two white doves following the Angelus prayer.

(MORE: Gorgeous Georg: Pope’s Private Secretary Becomes Vanity Fair Cover Boy)

Accompanied by two children, Pope Benedict XVI stood before the crowds and released the first dove into St. Peter’s Square. Slightly disoriented, the bird eventually succeeded in flying up to a ledge above the Pontiff’s window.

The second bird was not so lucky. Soon after it had landed on a ledge below the window, it was attacked by a seagull who happened to be taking an afternoon flight through the famous plaza. Fortunately the dove, maybe owing to some sort of divine intervention, was able to fight off the much larger seagull and fly away.

Perhaps it could be time for the Vatican to reconsider the release of these birds given last year’s incident, when both doves turned and flew straight back in through the window. “They want to stay in the Pope’s home,” Pope Benedict said at the time, according to the Daily Mail."
Posted 1st February 2014, 01:47 AM
Well said, FEEFO. My thought exactly. Pagan and egotistical and unnecessary and cruel. The released pigeons at the Vatican just flew up and most likely DIED on a rooftop closeby.
Posted 1st February 2014, 02:05 AM

Pope's Dove Release Goes Horribly Wrong

That's kind of funny that last year the two doves flew back into the Vatican window and this year they are horribly attacked by a crow and a seagull. Doesn't sound much like the annual Release Of The Doves For Peace is boding well peace-wise. An OMEN???? Maybe out newspapers about so much war and violence with no end in sight may have something there? Welcome to: The Twilight Zone........
Posted 1st February 2014, 02:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by almondman View Post
Let us not judge without knowing all the facts. What happened after their release is absolutely horrible, but how is that different from any of us that free fly our birds, or release them to train/race. We all lose birds to hawks and other predators, except that this was caught in photos.

For all we know, these could have been birds from the Vatican's own loft, or one close by, with the expectation that the birds would normally fly back to their home loft.

I don't have any way of knowing, but neither do any of you. Why judge so harshly? It was horrible, but I'm sure the Pope didn't release them with this in mind.
Initially when I started this thread ....I was led to believe that they were actual doves that were being used , being the vatican I understand that with traditions there can be a reluctance to change and that was the point I was trying to make about the pope using doves when infact white pigeons would adequately do the job without adding more lost and lonely doves on the streets .

I believe that to do the right job you need the right tools , although doves are a symbol of peace , after they are released for most of them life must be a miserable existance , yet if white pigeons were used they would return home to their loft and caring owners .( hopefully )

....from some of the responses , it would appear that the conclusion is that they may well have been pigeons that were used . If they were pigeons , perhaps they were just poorly trained and inappropriate for the job.

.... I have nothing against people who free fly ....It is how I operate my own loft .... my birds love to fly and I would never deny them the freedom they so much enjoy ...accidents happen from time to time ... I understand and accept this and I also wouldn't like to be judged for doing this.

1 Cat , 10 chickens , 100 + Pigeons of 5 Breeds , Tropical Fish & Cold Water Fish

Last edited by whytwings; 1st February 2014 at 03:00 AM.
Posted 1st February 2014, 06:32 AM

Crows

I HAVE HAD CROWS PROTECT MY BIRDS MANY TIMES FROM HAWKS AND iVE NEVER SEEN A SEAGULL ATTACK A PIGEON!
Quote:
Originally Posted by renabailey View Post
I forgot how high shipping is, Ill sell him for $50,00 plus ship I probably have box. Beginner we negotiate better price.
Posted 1st February 2014, 06:45 AM

HEY I RELEASE MY BIRDS AT MY FRIEND FUNERALS. my BIREDS ARE PEDIGREE WHITE DELBAR/MU

Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak View Post
One thing I would like to mention along these lines. I know several people that do "white dove releases" for weddings and funerals. Prices range from $120 to 320 per release. Depending on the number of birds released.

What saddens me, is that many of the white dove releasers really don't care much if the white pigeon comes home or not. It the birds do. Great. If they don't, then the owner just sold a pigeon or three, for $50 each.

Sadly, that more than justifies the loss to many of them. Some don't even train their birds, or just train them a couple of times, out to five miles or so.

I have a loft full of white homers. If I ever decide to do white dove releases, you can bet your bibby that my birds will have adequate trianing prior. But no matter how much training, birds can be attacked by predators. And they can be attacked during training. I know it and the birds know it. Fact of life #23.
tHEY ARE TRAINED JUST LIKE MY RACE BIRDS, AS MATTER OF FACT IVE RACED THE WHITEs.
if CONDITIONS ARENT RIGHT THEY DONT GET RELEASED MY BIRDS ARE FIRST. PEOPLE WHO ARE LIKE THAT ARENT PIGEON PEOPLE THEY ARE PEOPLE WHO KNOW NOTHING OF PIGEONS AND ARE TRYING TO MAKE A BUCK. My birds are trained out out 300 miles, and going to 600. bECAUSE THEY LOVE TO FLY Ive bred birds 50 years I know how to train a bird. So don't act like all people are like that.

Tags
doves