Pigeon-Talk banner

Baby Pigeon needs help

8K views 145 replies 6 participants last post by  birdtalk 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi There..
Im a new to this forum, and I found my way here by looking for help for this baby pigeon.

This healthy baby pigeon about 12-15 days old has suddenly lost appetite, and seems to be sleeping all of today.

Background.
One morning, I left an empty box with foos (which originally had mangoes), in the balcony of my apartment, and when I returned back home, I saw a pigeon sit in it. I decided not to bother it, and let it be.
Next morning I got a closer look, and found the Pigeon laid 2 eggs.

So I decided to leave some water in a bowl and rice with yellow lentils in another bowl. Same evening I bought a pack of Bird Pellet mix, essentially green and red millets, some tiny black things, oats and some pink and green clay like things.

All seemed well - a week passed, one egg hatched.. and the mother was protective about her child and would rarely leave the box. I kept arranging for bird mix, with rice and lentils in a small dish across the box with a separate bowl for water.

A week later, I realised this baby grew up pretty quick while the other egg didnt hatch yet. Now the mother would no longer sleep at night in the box.. instead a few feet away from it. Every morning when I went to leave water and food, the baby would notice me come, and try to Peck me Bite me.. it was adorable!
I didnt think too much of it, and ensured the daily arrangement of food and water.

> After about 10 days, I read an article on FB of Viruses, Bacterias and especially parasites in dry pigeon poop are critically dangerous to humans as they affect the respiratory tract and keep latent for prolonged periods eventually resulting in all sorts of diseases.
Yes I decided to do something about it. It was my day off from work, and i went to the balcony.. I noticed the mother had flown out.. I saw the box, there was a hell lot of dried bird poop there. I lifted the baby and the un-hatched egg, and kept them in the other end of the balcony.. while I changed the foos in the box, cleant the box.. and cleant the flooring around it with disinfectants.

While doing this, the mother came by and noticed the destroyed nest.. and baby not to be seen.. hovered a bit and flew away.

> THIS WAS A BIG MISTAKE!!!

I setup everything .. put the baby in the box.. but unfortunately stamped the other egg.. which released some horrible fluid and very strong and nasty odour. I quickly wiped the fluid, and packed the egg in a plastic bag.. and discarded it.

Now, the mother didnt return that night.
I was concerned about the baby.. and didnt know what to feed it. I took it close to the pellets and water but it refused to eat or drink. I tried for some time but nothing worked.
As it was getting late, eventually ...
> I bought some rice flour and Lentil flour from the super-market, made a paste of it in water.. and put it down the babys throat with a giant dropper.

> I repeated this the next morning as well, and left for work. I realsed the rice powder quickly solidified on the babys beak and was quite hard.. so I decided not to use it any more.

> That evening, I force-fed the baby with rice by opening its beak with my fingers and dropping few grains at a time.

> Next morning I noticed the mother was back.. but wasnt feeding the baby. Wasnt even going near the child. The baby pigeon klept on squeaking to its mother continously, but she didnt feed him.. and flew off.

Since force-feeding grains was very time consuming, I decided to defrost some peas .. and try feeding the baby with it.. but it didnt eat or drink anything readily.. I had to open its beak.. dump a pea in and shut.
I mustve forced in about 8-10 peas, 4-6 pieces of diced carrots, and few corn kernels as wel..

> that evening, mother not to be seen, I decided to feed it with chopped apple (without skin). Must have fed it with about 1 TBSP until it looked away walked away.
i left it back in the box.

> this morning, the mother returned, pecked her food, and flew away.. ignoring the child. However, the baby pigeon has been quiet and sleepy since morning today and didnt even call out to its mother. the mother has retuned many times, but neither have attempted to ask out.

Soemthing seems strange and I dont know what to interpret.

I have my day off, and I have made a video of this baby pigeon (linked), and a pic of its latest poop.
From what I see, it has no Canker.

Also I did notice it do something strange.. It looked down, and SHAKED ITS REAR quite a few times.. then stopped. Did this two times .. (very similar to what a dog does while trying to poop, instead shaking its rear).

P.S > im in abu dhabi, and trying to reach out to vets as I post this.

video Link to baby :
https://youtu.be/CnGIEZzjIO4

Poop pic 1: http://www.imagebam.com/image/053e7c1236586514

Poop pic 2: http://www.imagebam.com/image/c626321236586574

Poop Pic 3:http://www.imagebam.com/image/559ee61236613284

See less See more
#31 ·
1:45pm.. woke it up from sleep. It had pooped a Lot. Mostly Green Mushy matter with White surrounding matter. Seemed like white urates maybe. But whenever Ive given it metro.. poops have some white urates sort of thing. Lots of clear liquid.

Gave it water. It fell Asleep while sipping, maybe 2-3 times.

Fed it will 25-30 Peas.. didnt count.. it couldnt eat anymore.. Ensured it sipped water constantly. Didnt rush with the peas. Took my time feeding it. I didnt want it to throw up or feel uncomfortable. So far so good.

Pooped twice while eating. Liquid with mushy peas.
Pic : http://www.imagebam.com/image/f7147d1238740934

Again drowsy and lifeless. I feel metro is too strong for it. It was Alive and peppy in the morning. Held its neck High Up.. straight.. on its feet. Then metro changed everything.

I think Metro is too strong for it.
Should I start with ACV as you mentioned in an earlier post ?
I have some organic ACV from before.

#32 ·
Has he started drinking by himself? Is so, then you can add the acv. Remember, 5 ml to 1 l water. White urates is a good sign, a healthy pigeon produces white urates.

Are you sure he is getting 30 mg of metro? The dosage is correct. I've never used human metro, only one for pigeons. Don't know if that might be the reason. Best will be to get metro for pigeons. Meditrich by Medpet. Then you know you can't go wrong.

#33 ·
Has he started drinking by himself?
Not really..
I made the 2.5ml/500ml ACV water in a bowl, and held it near it, made him dip his beak about 20 times or so.. and it sipped a little. It took me about 15mins for it to have 1TSP of ACV-Water.

> Another thing.
After the second feed, it slpet for about 30mins, then was restless. Wouldnt stop moving in the box. The room made non-stop rustling sounds.. so i put junior out of the box.
It kept moving on the floor near to the window.. so i eventually put him back in the box, and put the box in the balcony.
It finally stopped moving. It was sitting in the box with eyes wide open.. and grooming non-stop.
It doesnt like to be indoors at all.

> Junior recognises its mother/father. Our champion can squeak .. pretty loud when its mom/dad approached.. but I think because of the odour or maybe because of me.. mom/dad do not come too close.
I know its the parent as it does not squeak to any other pigeon that visits the balcony (yes there are about 8-10 that come regularly).

>> Poops: have been 90% Solid chunky dark green paste with 10% solid off-white yogurt paste like stuff.

Overall, its been completely active, awake and relaxed out in the balcony.

> In about an hour I will give it the next dose of Nystatin and feed an hour after that.

#34 ·
Are you sure he is getting 30 mg of metro? The dosage is correct. I've never used human metro, only one for pigeons. Don't know if that might be the reason. Best will be to get metro for pigeons. Meditrich by Medpet. Then you know you can't go wrong.
Its approx 25-35mg. Its a 500 MG Tablet.. So I divided it to the 16th part. But after 8 parts it becomes very difficult to divide furter.. so .. approx 25-35mg.

meditrich.. im trying to source. Its difficult in this part of the world.

#35 ·
Sounds good, grooming is always a good sign. Don't force him to drink if he doesn't want to. If he did drank a little bit, he will in future if necessary.

Plse don't leave him on the balcony unsupervised. The other pigeons might attack him and even kill him. The parents won't recognize him anymore. Don't you have a cage where you can put him in? Where are you from btw?

#36 ·
The parent Did. Many pigeons come and go, but this one is sitting around, still. It tried to feed Junior. And this baby isnt squeaking to anyone else.

Im in Abu Dhabi.
I do not have a cage.. and I havent checked for one so far. Most of the Pet Product Shops are in Dubai.. which is about 5-6 hrs too & fro driving distance.
I would make that drive, but I need to keep a check on junior .. Cannot leave him alone for too long.
Also I didnt plan on getting a pet. This one had sheer bad luck and needed some help.

Since I have a few days off.. im tring my best to take care.

#37 ·
Can't you have the metro send to you by overnight courier? Will be cheaper than driving.

Even if the parents start feeding him now, you will need to give the meds. Otherwise the canker will kill him eventually.

Do you have a large cardboard box? You can turn this on the side with the opening to the front. Cover this opening with a plastic mesh that will allow sunlight in but prevent him from getting out or other pigeons getting to him.

#38 ·
Can't you have the metro send to you by overnight courier? Will be cheaper than driving.
The thing about this country is..
Now, Its next to impossible to get meds without prescription.
Even the meds for pets need a prescription. Plus they have banned Meds manufactured abroad. Meds avl in pharmacy are now made by gulf Pharmaceutical co. or UK or Germany.

Meds imported from abroad definitely need prescription. Im not sure if anti-biotics will be allowed. If they are.. then I will need to proof a Pet License.
Its strict here.
Plus, the courier will take atleast 4-5 days.

Even this Metro 500mg Ive acquired with great difficulty, without prescription. And they did not have any other metro (with lower power)
Ive checked with pet Supply stores and very few are allowed to stock meds, especially for birds. and they require prescription. So Ill attempt once the holidays are over, and some of these store open.
Most of Pet Meds are usually with Vets who ask for a license to own a pet. They do not entertain stray Birds and animals like Junior ( from my second post, I was discouraged by 3 vets).

This country is not friendly for stray animals and birds.

Even if the parents start feeding him now, you will need to give the meds. Otherwise the canker will kill him eventually.
Im not going to allow that until Junior gets recovers completely.
But at some point I intend to let it fly away in the wild, once its completely better.

Do you have a large cardboard box? You can turn this on the side with the opening to the front. Cover this opening with a plastic mesh that will allow sunlight in but prevent him from getting out or other pigeons getting to him.
Ive got some free time tomorrow.. Ill try to make something.

Im trying to source meditrich as well.. lets hope I get it asap.

#39 ·
Ok then, at least you have metro to treat him with. To me it sounds as if he is getting better. It usually takes 3 days for the meds to start working, sometimes longer.

You can check the growths inside his mouth again tomorrow.

Once he has recovered, you can do a soft release. Will talk about that later.

You are lucky, I also have some free time at the moment. That's why the answers are so quick.

#41 ·
Got me some meditrich
Also a Animal-Bird Probiotic, please have a look.

Pic : http://www.imagebam.com/image/4cf6bd1239082034

Question : It says 100mg Meditrich, should I give an entire tablet or break into 3 and give a third of it ?

While I was away, poop seems better now. Looks like off-white urates
Pic: http://www.imagebam.com/image/cb68111239081994

Was just wondering. How are you giving the metro? A solid 30 mg piece? Then its fine.

But if you crush the metro and put this inside a pea, then it might not get absorbed so well. So rather go for the first option.
After breaking it into 16 parts, I made 3-4 small chunks of it and gave it then forced water with a dropper so it didnt get stuck.

#42 ·
That's good, the same meds I also use. You can split the 100 mg into 3 parts and keep on giving him 30 mg once a day. You can open his beak and put the meds deep towards the back, same as with peas. Plse be careful putting water inside his beak. I've never had problems with meds getting stuck.

#44 ·
Its become extremely difficult to feed it peas now that its regained energy.
It Hates peas I believe.
Doesnt even attempt to eat them by itself. Moves its neck in all directions to dodge the pea.
Holding its beak apart is become very difficult now.

Do I start with probiotics already ?
Or wait for antibiotics to get over ?
As i understand.. the antibiotics will wipe out the pro-biotic microbe population.

#45 ·
How are you feeding the peas? Best way is to put him on your lap against your body facing to the right (if you are righthanded). Reach with your lefthand over his body and head and open the beak with those fingers. Have a pea ready in your righthand and put deep inside the beak over the tongue. You can start leaving a small bowl of peas with him. Believe me, he will start pecking at them when he gets hungry. They usually learn very quick.

You can start with the probiotics now, or wait until the treatment is finished. I always give during treatment. You have it, so won't hurt if you start now.

#46 ·
I keep it on the table.. so his head is approx my chest level.
Hold the pea in the fingers of right hand, and try to open the beak with left.
It was much easier earlier when it was weak, and disinterested, as it would not move its neck much. just rest it on its crop.
Now it holds its neck high.. keeps looking around observing new things. Was observing my mobile phone as it rung for the longest time yesterday while feeding it.

The Peas are soggy If I leave in the box and the bird poops on them.. then it will get contaminated. Or even leaving them outside wil contaminite them as they are soggy.

Ill fig something.
Just fed it 35-38 peas.. and its drowsy after consuming peas.

#47 ·
Only put a few peas in a small bowl. How big is the box you are keeping him in? Does he have a perch (a brick for ex)? Put this in the 1 corner of the box and the bowl in the other corner. Pigeons like to perch and at least he will spend time away from the food bowl. Replace the peas if necessary.

He will need to learn to eat by himself eventually. Things will be much easier for both of you when he does.

#48 ·
This is the box in which its mother originally laid 2 egss..
I decided not to change it, as I thought the mother would return once I clean it and change the grass and put back the baby.

Pic of Box : http://www.imagebam.com/image/4244081239494774

I cant help but wonder, how did this baby get canker. Did it happen because I cleant the box?

> When I first went to clean the box, the baby was healthy. its Base was almost pink. It was ROUND AS A Tennis Ball. It had a Bulging FAT CROP like an owl.
In a weeks time the mother would sleep few feet away from the box, as the baby grew fat and big in 8-10 days. I found it strange as a 7-10day old baby would need the warmth and protection of mother.
The mother did feed it regularly, I would see.

> the other egg didnt hatch and was rotting from inside. I accidentally broke it - away from the baby and box, while cleaning the box.. sealed in a plastic bag and threw it.. cleant the area where it broke with dis-infectants.

> That evening mother didnt return.
So I hunted google and youtube and decided to feed defrosted Corn, Carrots and Peas.
It seemed fine Next day. Mother had returned fed itself but would not feed the baby. Again the baby was alone in the evening.. no trace of mother.

>So that evening I checked youtube and decided to feed it chopped apple about a TBSP.

> And next day again the mother would not feed the baby.

Thats when I took matter in my hands ... took it to 3 vets. I opened its beak to check for canker.. and there was nothing.. possibly a tiny pink dot.. i didnt think it was anything.
The very next day i opened its beak again, as it had lost lot of weight & I noticed 2 white dots and assumed canker, and immediately started metro after reading up.

So did the healthy baby have canker all along ? or was it me feeding it corn, carrot and apples that caused this ? I think i changed its diet.. as it was primarily fed on Rice & bird seeds I would keep near the nest along with water.

#49 ·
The box is fine. Just put a small bowl of peas in the one corner. Stress can cause canker, it's possible this whole experience caused the canker. It's quite a common disease amongst young pigeons.

Don't feel guilty about it, you didnt know and is busy setting things wright.

#50 ·
update

Ok, It now has learnt to climb out of the box by itself.

> 9:30am gave it 30mg approx meditrich. It didnt get drowsy today.
When i checked on it 3 hours later.. it had pooped a lot.. Mostly solid green paste with little yogurt. It doesnt look Yellow.. it doesnt look white either...
Pic : http://www.imagebam.com/image/4309731239706524

> At 2:30pm Fed it with peas.. Its dodging peas for sure. Its become very difficult to feed peas now. Ive linked a video today.. of how difficult its got to feed it peas.
Vid :https://youtu.be/VYlYswgZv-o

On the other hand, its started to peck my fingers..
It also pecks stains on the table thinking they are grains or pellets.
But avoids pecking peas at all costs.

So should I attempt sprinkling some Rice/Millets/grains close to it ?

#51 ·
He is looking good, well done! He is associating your hands with food. Next time you feed him, keep the pea between your fingers and "tease" him. Don't feed him, rather let him peck at the pea.

You can leave some small seeds with him and then play with the seeds by using your fingers. Push them around, pick some up and drop them again. He will copy what your fingers does. When he starts eating seeds, he will need to drink some water as well.

Droppings also look good, although urates still yellow. Have you checked inside the beak lately?

#52 ·
Yep,
its definitely the father. keeps coming back to feed junior.
Its not left the balcony and keeps circling the window.
It scares the other pigeons off the balcony.

Im not allowing it to feed junior.
Vid: https://youtu.be/yidirT15LCY

He is associating your hands with food. Next time you feed him, keep the pea between your fingers and "tease" him. Don't feed him, rather let him peck at the pea.
I keep doing it.. and continue doing it till it starts pecking.
It saw its father peck.. and it started pecking straw and tissue in the balcony.
I removed the tissue pieces off its mouth.

You can leave some small seeds with him and then play with the seeds by using your fingers. Push them around, pick some up and drop them again. He will copy what your fingers does. When he starts eating seeds, he will need to drink some water as well.
>Any seeds in particular ?
I sprinkle Rice and Lentils and Red milets but it doesnt attempt pecking those at all. Such a picky child!

Droppings also look good, although urates still yellow. Have you checked inside the beak lately?
Could yellowish droppings indicate low on Calcium, Vitamins or minerals ?

I check inside the beak every 24 hours for progress..
In 3-4 hours ill check and update

#53 ·
You know, for his longterm survival, it's always better to be raised by his parents. They will show him where to find food, water etc.

Why don't you let the dad continue to feed him? Then you only need to get the meds into him every morning before he is getting fed by the dad. As long as he is safe on the balcony. How many days has he been on the metro?

The yellow urates is a symptom of canker, the disease affects the liver. When the urates have turned white, then you know he is getting healthy.

#54 · (Edited)
You know, for his longterm survival, it's always better to be raised by his parents. They will show him where to find food, water etc.
Yes that is my intent. Once junior is healthy, then leave him back with his parent(s).

Why don't you let the dad continue to feed him?
Because im afraid it'll contract some other disease as he is low on immunity.
After the mother flew away, it was the father that fed him .. and next day this baby stopped eating altogether.

Ive read on these forums, most adult pigeons are carriers of many bacteria, virus, parasites and other disease causing germs. But they have some how gotten immune to it, and its usually the babies that get infected.
So im afraid now that its on antibiotics, it may contract something else and things may go down hill again!!
Im just waiting till it gets better.

How many days has he been on the metro?
Today is the third day on metro.
Total 4 doses of metro
Day 1 = 2 doses
Day 2 = 1 Dose
Day 3 = today = 1 dose.

2 days on Nystatin.
Total 4 doses.

The yellow urates is a symptom of canker, the disease affects the liver. When the urates have turned white, then you know he is getting healthy.
Got it. Thanks !!

#55 ·
I know you have good intentions with this baby. But if you keep on preventing the dad to feed him, the dad will eventually lose interest and leave and not bother with him anymore.

Junior might become very tame. You will need to do a soft release from your balcony, meaning you will need to keep on putting out food for him after he has left. You will need to wait till he is about 2 months old before releasing. The chances are big he might not return and not knowing where to find food (no parents to teach him) he might not survive. He will be chased by other pigeons (including his dad that won't recognize him anymore).

So it will be difficult for him out there, competing on the street with other older pigeons.

Yes, he might be exposed to bad bacteria etc, but they do build up immunity. My point is: for longterm survival, let the parents to their thing.

Another 7 days of treatment, maybe few more if necessary and he will be healthy again.

#57 · (Edited)
Update

6pm: Gave a dose of Nystatin.

7:15pm : Fed it with 40+ peas. It seemed fine. It pooped Twice while feeding it. Poop was Clear Liquid with green matter and white urates. Yes this one looks white.
Pic : http://www.imagebam.com/image/5d140c1240146454

8pm : put it to sleep, as i was leaving.

10:30 pm : it was asleep.. but woke up as soon as i went to check on it.
Had pooped alright. Much lesser than usual. Urates now were not as white as earlier.
Pic : http://www.imagebam.com/image/26a1461240146484

Update on Canker.
I think its reduced. I cant get a clear look inside the mouth any more, camera pic is close to impossible.. Junior is very active.. and moves a lot. I just cant get it to stay still any more.

Progress Pic : http://www.imagebam.com/image/48f2d51240146524

11:30 pm fed it with 25+ peas. It took 40 mins this time.
It twists and turns it neck, dances his legs, bends jumps.. flaps its wings. Impossible to get a hold of its beak open.
I fear of twisting its neck or dislocating its beak. Trying to be as gentle as possible.

it pecks my fingers.. I sprinkled rice before feeding it peas. It cant seem to get a grip of the grains. It wont even attempt to peck on peas.
After dabbing the tip of the beak in water.. it now finally sips water .. much better than before. But needs that dabing constantly. Wont drink by itself.

Question
> Which seeds or grains should I start keeping in the box for it to learn pecking ?

> It needs to gain weight, and feathers.. that fell or it plucked off itself.. while sick. The area between the back of its neck and shoulders has no feathers, can see the skin. Is that normal ?
Is there anything I should do ?

#58 ·
update : day 4

The bird was up much before me. It had pooped a lot.. most of it dried up .. so cant make much of it.
Ive slept more peacefully last night since the last few days.

7:15am : Nystatin 0,3ml

8,15am : I got it water.. and dabbed it once.. it sipped water readily. dipped its entire beak in it for a few seconds.. then got out.. and did it again.
I was very happy..

8:30 fed it peas about 35-40.
It still shows dis-interest in peas. But opens its beak when i attempt to feed it.. and runs away after 30 peas.. the last 10 were a painful task

Poop : immediately after 20 peas.

Looks Green in clear liquid with yellow and white urates both ? cannot make out easily..

Pic : http://www.imagebam.com/image/d106e51240546844

#60 ·
update : day 4

Alright, will get the dove mixture seeds this evening.

10am : Metro time. It did not sleep at all
2pm : Green Peas..
Had a look at the poop..
Urates look pretty white to me

Pic : http://www.imagebam.com/image/1f0d5e1240786064

I will observe the urates in the eveining again.. If they continue to be white, should I continue with medication?
Both nystatin and meditrich ?
0,3ml and 30mg ?

#61 ·
Yes, continue with the meds for another week. You will need to do the full antibiotic course, otherwise the canker will just come back and it will be more difficult to get rid off.

Droppings starting to look good! Will be greenish because you are feeding peas. When he is eating seeds, it will be brown.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.