Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeon Crisis - Emergency! > Sick or Injured Pigeon and Dove Discussions

Notices

big tom
Posted 2nd March 2009, 10:00 AM

dying baby pigeons

my baby pigeons are dying they were about three weeks old i found the first one on sat. the next one on monday,dont know if mother stopped feeding him the pair wanted to mate again could that be the cause

Posted 2nd March 2009, 10:16 AM
Big Tom...There could be so many things that could have killed them, it's really hard to answer your question without more information. Most likely, though, they were sick.

Please tell us more about the situation.

If all the beasts were
gone, men would die
from great loneliness of
spirit, for whatever
happens to the beasts
also happens to the man.
Seattle 1736-1866

Another Life, Gone To The Birds!

DO NO HARM

Member, International Wildlife Rehabilitation Council
Posted 2nd March 2009, 11:09 AM

my babies

there is nothing more to say they both looked fine, do parents kill there babies if so why
Posted 2nd March 2009, 11:37 AM
parents dont normally kill the young
Posted 2nd March 2009, 12:00 PM
How many pigeons do you have? Have any others been ill?
Do you treat your pigeons regularily to prevent canker and worms?
Do you have mice in your loft?
See...there is more to tell.

If all the beasts were
gone, men would die
from great loneliness of
spirit, for whatever
happens to the beasts
also happens to the man.
Seattle 1736-1866

DO NO HARM

Posted 2nd March 2009, 12:12 PM
were they out of the nest? did they have blood on them? were their crops empty?...you have to do a bit of detective work to beable to come to a good guess or culprit, and then you may try to find a solution.
Posted 2nd March 2009, 03:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by big tom View Post
my baby pigeons are dying they were about three weeks old i found the first one on sat. the next one on monday,dont know if mother stopped feeding him the pair wanted to mate againcould that be the cause
No, they normally start mating when the babies are around 14 days old, but the parents will continue to feed and care for them, once the new eggs are laid dad takes over the feedings.

Sometimes parents will stop caring for their babies if they sense the babies are sick. There are several diseases that can cause youngsters to die, but there could be other factors depending on symptoms.

Every negative event effects my ability to own my APBT, please be a responsible owner and keep your pitbull out of trouble.
Posted 2nd March 2009, 07:28 PM
If your loft is overcrowded other birds could cause the parents to be too busy fighting for their nesting site. I found this out when I was redoing a loft and moved all the birds into one loft.
It is uncommon for parents to just stop feeding at that age. I have found that usually, if a squab makes it to the three week mark, it will usually make it all the way to adult hood.
Posted 2nd March 2009, 08:40 PM
Us with all our questions and big tom has failed to make another appearance.

If all the beasts were
gone, men would die
from great loneliness of
spirit, for whatever
happens to the beasts
also happens to the man.
Seattle 1736-1866

DO NO HARM

Posted 2nd March 2009, 09:11 PM
First off this question does not provide enough facts to get a real answer. NO a pair, will not kill their own young in the nest, even if they wanted to breed again. There is something the poster is not telling us. Too crowded? rats?, by the way, they will kill anything from a Zebra finch to a pigeon, and sometimes, just lap up the blood. THERE is a reason, but you need to supply more INFO. JMHO. Dave
Posted 2nd March 2009, 10:18 PM
This type of situation is happening a lot for a reason. Meaning that someone posts something and then disappears. People are being allowed to post without registering with the hope being that they will get their urgent post submitted and then register. Sometimes they do register and sometimes they don't. Unfortunately none of the moderators have any control over this situation aside from deciding whether to let a post from an unregistered user come through in the first place. If it appears that it is at least somewhat of an emergency, then I, personally, do approve the post so it comes through to the board.

I'm sorry that a lot of these posts end up being frustrating and a waste of time for the regular members, but then there are those that do register and become a part of the flock here.

Terry
Posted 2nd March 2009, 10:27 PM
Terry, good point, BUT it is so easy to register! LOL! Dave
Posted 4th March 2009, 05:41 PM
Exclamation

Yes pigeons do "'RARELY" kill their own young

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUCKYT View Post
First off this question does not provide enough facts to get a real answer. NO a pair, will not kill their own young in the nest, even if they wanted to breed again. There is something the poster is not telling us. Too crowded? rats?, by the way, they will kill anything from a Zebra finch to a pigeon, and sometimes, just lap up the blood. THERE is a reason, but you need to supply more INFO. JMHO. Dave
yES on the rare occasion I have had pigeons that will kill their young - in fact it happened here this week. A young cock (first set of young) pecked at and trampled both babies a day or two after they hatched. I know it was him because I put another baby in the nest and the hen accepted it and covered it right away, when the cock's turn came he went after the new squab.

I WAS SEARCHING FOR ANSWERS TO THIS RARE OCCURANCE WHEN I DISCOVERED THE ABOVE STATEMENT - OBVIOUSLY INCORRECT.
Posted 4th March 2009, 06:41 PM
That's really too bad. Do you think he is just to young to have any parenting instincts? He probably had no clue of what or who they were. I'd be very interested to know if later he raises babies normally. Would you come back and let us know? That must have been horrible. The poor little things.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Posted 5th March 2009, 03:35 PM
Bobcat, that is not killing, just poor parenting, AND with proper management, and Knowing your pairs, is SO rare as to not be worth mentioning. If you have a young cock that over eager, you should have stepped in. MY statement WAS not inaccurate. WITH management, they do not kill there young.
In on and off pigeon keeping 45 five years or so, i have seen a few over zealous young cocks, and that is when you step in and SLOW him down. Dave