Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeon Crisis - Emergency! > Sick or Injured Pigeon and Dove Discussions

Notices

Posted 14th May 2011, 05:31 PM

Eye Infection

Hi! We have a small flock of pigeons and one of my birds has developed an eye problem. Both eyes are slightly swollen with a foamy/watery discharge. When she wipes them off the eye itself looks fine. Bird is otherwise behaving normally. Inside of mouth looks pink. After reading a bit, we have isolated her- what now?

Posted 14th May 2011, 08:02 PM
Best course of action is a visit to the vet. They'd probably prescribe something like Gentimycin drops or the sort....if they determine it to be an infection.

Good that you have isolated her. I do not like the sound of 'foamy'. Perhaps some others will be along who have encounteredt this and can offer more advice. When it comes to eyes, I prefer having a professional caregiver handle the situation as opposed to taking best-guesses.

Do you have an avian vet ???
Posted 14th May 2011, 09:46 PM
The symptoms you describe are pretty indicative of a present infection. Most times what should be done if the administration of opthalmic antibiotic drops or ointment, like Terramycin or Gentamicin drops as mentioned, along with giving a broad spectrum oral antibiotic at the same time, like Baytril or Trimethoprim/Sulfa. Most times they respond very well to doing this, start to look better within a few days, and are cured in 7-10 days.

Karyn
Posted 15th May 2011, 02:05 PM
Thank you- interestingly, since she has been isolated- we brought her inside- her eyes have completely cleared up! This is in the 24 hours since I brought her in and posted. We have had a lot of ash from fires north of us. Could I just have one bird with a sensitivity?!
Posted 15th May 2011, 05:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by txleigh View Post
Thank you- interestingly, since she has been isolated- we brought her inside- her eyes have completely cleared up! This is in the 24 hours since I brought her in and posted. We have had a lot of ash from fires north of us. Could I just have one bird with a sensitivity?!
As to a sensitivity, anything is possible, and it would seem reasonable now that you mention the fires, with the air being ash laden, as being at the root of her problem. Were any of your other birds exposed, and if so, is it only her that displayed these symptoms, is she eating and drinking OK and what do her droppings look like?

Karyn
Posted 15th May 2011, 06:13 PM
All the birds were exposed and she is the only one with any symptoms. Her droppings are slightly green, but don't smell and she is eating and drinking normally. As this is a bird which I hand raised (after one parent was lost and the father couldn't keep up with two squab) her attitude (she is very pushy and the only pigeon we have who bites!) is normal also. I'm not sure what to think at this point, but I am planning to keep her in a few more days for observation.
Posted 15th May 2011, 07:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by txleigh View Post
All the birds were exposed and she is the only one with any symptoms. Her droppings are slightly green, but don't smell and she is eating and drinking normally. As this is a bird which I hand raised (after one parent was lost and the father couldn't keep up with two squab) her attitude (she is very pushy and the only pigeon we have who bites!) is normal also. I'm not sure what to think at this point, but I am planning to keep her in a few more days for observation.
Well, I certainly don't like that all your birds were exposed, but she is the only one that has had swelling in the eye area, may be just one of those things, but I have found in the past when I try and rationalize things away, they sometimes come back to bite me. Best keep a close eye on her, and isolated for the time being. Also, may be good if you could post up a photo of her and her freshest droppings, what do you have in the way of medications (antibiotics) on hand, very likely won't be needed, but I wouldn't mind know ahead of time what's on hand, if anything.

Karyn

Tags
eye infection