Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeon Crisis - Emergency! > Sick or Injured Pigeon and Dove Discussions

Notices

Posted 15th October 2009, 02:23 PM

Fledgling dove with pox - help please!

On 3 October, I almost ran over a fledgling dove that was in the middle of a country road. It could barely fly so I moved it to a nearby tree. Four hours ' later on my return, it was still in the same position and looking very sorry for itself. I presume the parents were shot as it is hunting season here in Italy. It had some blood on its foot coming from a small wound which I treated with antiseptic and thought no more about it.
The bird grew gradually stronger but the wound increased in size and spread, and he now has a bad case of pox, extremely bad on one foot (photo), two lesions on the other foot, and three lesions on his beak but NOT inside the mouth. So I am assuming it is dry pox. You will see that one lesion on his foot is now black. This was the point of the initial wound i.e. the longest lasting, and I am just hoping it will fall off soon.
My main worry is the beak. At this point, does anyone know what is the likelihood of the lesions occurring inside the mouth?
He doesn't seem to be in any discomfort at all. He is still acting very 'babyish' squeaking and fluttering his wings and although he has been eating seed on his own for a week, I am still continuing to feed him a baby bird formula similar to Exact (this, by the way, is what the yellow is on his head as I hadn't cleaned him up).
Any comments are most welcome - thanks.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg dove - foot_resize.JPG (76.5 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg dove - beak_resize.JPG (92.3 KB, 39 views)
Posted 15th October 2009, 03:01 PM
Hello, and welcome to the forum. Thank you so much for rescuing the dove! I suspect that very few people would have stopped.

I don't have any experience of pox in collared doves but it is possible that it could lose part of his beak. If this happens, he can adjust although he would not be releasable because he would need to eat from a deep dish. However, he is young and if unreleasable will make a very loving pet.

There are different strains of pigeon pox, I know that the strain affecting wood pigeons is different to the one affecting feral pigeons, so I don't think that we will be able to give youa timeline for the appearance of lesions inside the mouth (if they develop). All I can tell you is that with wood pigeons this seems to happen very quickly.

Have you got access to homeopathic remedies?

Last edited by Feefo; 15th October 2009 at 06:21 PM.
Posted 15th October 2009, 03:03 PM
There is nothing you can do, except to carry on hand feeding and hydrating.
Tea tree oil will help reducing leg liaisons, beak you can swab with 50/50 Iodine and Glycerine solution but in general, pox needs time to pass. I would recommend treatment for canker as immune system is compromised.
Some fanciers use children oinment for chicken pox which brings some relieve.
Posted 15th October 2009, 04:09 PM
The leg is extremely bad! tumors-like.. It may needs AB ointment to prevent any bacterial infection. plamenh's advice is very excellent.
Posted 16th October 2009, 01:30 PM
Thank you all so much for your feedback! I am doing my best for him with your advice. He is eating extremely well. I will let you have an update soon. Only thing I need more information on is homeopathic remedies. I do have access to these but perhaps you would let me know what is best to give him.
Posted 16th October 2009, 01:51 PM
Tea tree oil - external use only, swab the legs gently.
Coloidal silver - 1~2 drops in the beak per day. You can use as eye drops too.
Golden seal tablets/capsule - either internaly or as salve on swelling

This is in general what i would use
Iodine and glycerin for beak you mix as drops and swab with q-tip.
Posted 16th October 2009, 03:19 PM
keep us updated on this one
Posted 16th October 2009, 03:35 PM
oh poor baby!! keeping the lesions clean is the most important thing, just dab them with an antiseptic, don't rub them or break them open.
preventing infection is top priority.
i use diluted povidone iodine that you can pick up at any pharmacy, but i also keep them on baytril while they have lesions which is a prescription anti biotic.
make sure you clean her face well after feeding, and practice good husbandry, it can be contagious to other birds so if you have any, make sure you keep them in separate rooms and don't cross contaminate
you just have to wait till the virus runs it's course, and hopefully she will heal well.
i also agree that she should be treated for trich (canker) but i'm not sure what's available for it in your country, you may need to find a pigeon supply online

Tags
beak, dove, fledgling, lesions, pox