Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeon Crisis - Emergency! > Sick or Injured Pigeon and Dove Discussions

Notices

Posted 7th April 2006, 10:36 PM

foot problems

my friend has alot of fantails and some of them have these things on there feet it looks like alot of poo on there legs that already dried up but when you take the top layer off the inside looks yellow pieces of hair. He doesnt have a computer so he asked me to ask you medical people if there is any medicine for that problem

Vik

Posted 8th April 2006, 04:22 AM
I am not sure I undestand what exactly is going on with their feet.
The dried droppings and other dirt can be removed by soaking the feet in warm water. You can use some Dawn dishwashing liquid in the water and then wipe the feet with a clean cloth until all gunk is removed. It will give you a better picture of what is going on with the feet.

Reti
Posted 8th April 2006, 05:57 AM
Is there a possibility that you could post a picture? Is this the bottom of the feet or legs?

One of my Satinettes looked like he had some kind of growth beginning on the foot when I bought him, and my rehabber said it was bumblefoot, but it did not look like any cases of bumblefoot that I have seen here.

I put some tea tree oil on it, and it dried and came off. I also gave the bird a round of garlic capsules (down the throat, one per day) as an anti-infectent and to purify the blood. It has not been a problem. If this looks swollen or has any broken skin and or open wound to it, DO NOT USE TEE TREE OIL, as it will hurt.

Tell your friend to make sure to clean the entire loft and floors at least every two days, and use a good disinfectant, allow to dry, and then bring the birds back inside. Make sure the birds have access to bathing also.

Every negative event effects my ability to own my APBT, please be a responsible owner and keep your pitbull out of trouble.
Posted 8th April 2006, 08:28 AM
We have fantails too, and some of them are susceptible to foot mites. I'm not sure why this is, but I've only seen it in my fantails. Left untreated it can cause quite a large, crusty area on the bottom of the foot and between the toes. You can treat it with Scalex (available at pet stores) or SCATT (available at pet or pigeon supply stores).
Posted 8th April 2006, 06:00 PM
well im going to his house on monday and i will take some pictures and thanks for the advise

Vik
Posted 8th April 2006, 07:26 PM
Pictures would help. I can't be sure from the description, but since I've had this problem with my fans, it seems likely. Oddly enough, it's only a few of them that are affected.

Tags
pet store, pigeon supply, pigeon supply store