Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeon Crisis - Emergency! > Sick or Injured Pigeon and Dove Discussions

Notices

Posted 21st October 2006, 07:46 AM

Help!!! Found injured bird with possible broken leg!

We found a beautiful white and brown pigeon, injured leg foot. We located the owner of the bird we call Gimpy and he is about 90 miles from us. Said we could keep it as a pet. Read every thing i could find on pigeons and my daughter the aspiring zoologist is determined to fix him or her? Of course i've also fallin in love with Gimpy. I took him to our local vet and got some really terrible advise. Put him back where we found him/her and he/she will find its way home. If Gimpy could fly away im sure he/she wouldnt have let my daughter pick he/she up. Gimpys wing seem find but will put no pressure on his left foot. This probably sounds like a stupid question but could he still fly with a broken foot? He is also only about 6 months old per the owner, could this be psychological that he is not flying away? I'll take any advise i can get. I want whats best for this little guy or girl.

Posted 21st October 2006, 08:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimpy01
We found a beautiful white and brown pigeon, injured leg foot. We located the owner of the bird we call Gimpy and he is about 90 miles from us. Said we could keep it as a pet. Read every thing i could find on pigeons and my daughter the aspiring zoologist is determined to fix him or her? Of course i've also fallin in love with Gimpy. I took him to our local vet and got some really terrible advise. Put him back where we found him/her and he/she will find its way home. If Gimpy could fly away im sure he/she wouldnt have let my daughter pick he/she up. Gimpys wing seem find but will put no pressure on his left foot. This probably sounds like a stupid question but could he still fly with a broken foot? He is also only about 6 months old per the owner, could this be psychological that he is not flying away? I'll take any advise i can get. I want whats best for this little guy or girl.
Gimpy, first of all, keep the bird confined. If it can fly, it will and you'll loose it and there's no telling where it will wind up. The fact that your daughter picked it up tells me the bird is injured or weak from hunger or both. In any case, keep the bird confined. Whoever said to "put it back where you found it" is an idiot. Sorry, but that's true. Your vet needs a quick "pigeon" lesson. The owner said you could keep it? Then do so and love it and it will love you back. Everyone here will help you as much as we can. I assume the bird is banded. Do you mind telling us what the band says? Any other questions......just ask. Oh, by the way, welcome.
Posted 21st October 2006, 09:24 AM
Thanks so much for the reply, Gimpy is already fast becoming my buddy. He is actually watching me type this to you now. He has really latched onto me and is now i believe preening my arm. His band says au i 13726 2006. Any advise on the leg? I went to the local feed store and purchased some dove feed and set him up in a cardboard box. Do you have any quick tips on how to interact with him? Petting,bathing, and so forth...any advise would be greatly appreciated. He seems to be interested in the keyboard he is pecking at the keys everytime i pause, he is adorable and so so sweet.
Posted 21st October 2006, 10:02 AM
Do you think the leg is broken or just injured? What did you vet say. Did the vet examine Gimpy at all? If you're going to keep Gimpy, you're going to need a cage of some sort to at least let him/her have a "space of his own". As far as interaction, just keep doing what you are doing. It sounds like the previous owner may have spent time with the bird, because trust me, they usually aren't real tame unless they are super hungry. You can offer the bird some bath water. Most of us use a cat litter pan from the dollar store. Put about 2 gallons of water in it and what him go to town.
Posted 21st October 2006, 10:11 AM
Hi gimpy01,

Hello and welcome.

Thank you for helping this bird.

You have been given a truly wonderful gift, as pigeons are such wonderful pets.

We appreciate all your supportive care and trying to do the right thing for this bird.

Does the leg look swollen or bruised? Perhaps you can look at both legs, and make an assesment or/and comparison and let us know.

Perhaps you can find a rehabber who can help you determine if the leg is broke, swollen, or sprained.

Please check this list:

http://www.tc.umn.edu/~devo0028/contactA.htm#il

or perhaps this will help you find an avian vet:

http://aav.org/vet-lookup/

Every negative event effects my ability to own my APBT, please be a responsible owner and keep your pitbull out of trouble.

Last edited by Skyeking; 21st October 2006 at 03:33 PM.
Posted 21st October 2006, 10:11 AM
Just curious as to where you are? I'm in VA. We've actually got a race going on today and I'm expecting birds in about 30 minutes so I've got to get off of here and go get their feed and water ready. I'll check back in here in a little while. Oh, by the way, I used to have a bird named Gimpy. I'll have to tell you about her sometime.
Posted 21st October 2006, 11:08 AM
Thanks for all your replies, its so nice to see people willing to help us. The vet didnt even take Gimpy from me to look at him said something about looking like the same one that had been here before as he was walking away from us. Told us to put him back where we found him and he will find his way home. I may not know much about pigeons but i knew that was a "Stop wasting my time with a pigeon" response from him. So, that brings us to you all wonderful people with great advise and support. I dont know about the leg he just lets it hang, it looks just like the other one both bright red in color and both warm to the touch, but i can touch the lame leg and he doesn't react at all. It literally just hangs there. I would love to put him in a bath but ive noticed a couple of sneezes from him yesterday and then again today. His owner says he had only been trained to fly home from 7 miles away and thinks he might have gotten caught up with the recent race out of chicago. Once he is better could he find his way back home?
Posted 21st October 2006, 11:29 AM
Hi Gimpy,

I would not let the bird go back home if the owner said you can keep it. It is obvious he doesn't want it back and might not care about the bird.
Some racers do not keep lost and injured birds, so my advice is to keep him/her.

Reti
Posted 21st October 2006, 12:22 PM
Exclamation

Hi,
This is her daughter Nicole.
we have a little problem..i think the bird is sick. He is shaking, sneezing, and closng his eyes. I dont know, is he just tired or sick? We would really aprreciate any advise we could get. Me, my mom and Gimpy..
Thank you for your time,
Nicole

and the answer to a previous ? We reside in Illinois
Posted 21st October 2006, 01:31 PM
Thumbs up

we dont have a very warm enviroment..we live in an apartment thats not really well heated. well not for a bird that is. do u think it has something to do wit us letting him take a bath, ive read in other threads that u should use a heated wrap but we dont have that so we tried to get him an a towel as fast as possible, the bathrooms a warm place but we had to take him out of there becuase people kept coming in an out and we have a cat so we didnt want any bigger problems ..hes quite a young pigeon 4 months...we intenn to keep him so is there any other advise you have it would be greatly aprretiated..also i was readin a thread and it said something about garlic..i was wondering what is the reason behind it...is it something i should do??...and hes injured any advise behind that ..in another thread it said somthing about a vet putting a pin in the birds leg because it was broken?..well thank you for your time
nicole
Posted 21st October 2006, 01:39 PM
Hi Gimpy/Nicole

He can be shaking because he is cold from the bath or from his leg hurting. What I would do:

If you have a hair dryer, set it on low and hold it about 2 feet over him and dry him that way.

Do you have a heating pad or, if not, can you borrow one? If you can get one, put the heating pad on medium heat to begin with and place it ON ONE HALF OF THE BOX. That way if he gets too warm being on the pad he can move off it.

I usually put a large towel under the pad to protect furniture, then the pad, then another towel ON TOP of the pad. Place the cardboard box on the towel (I hope you have removed the top to the box) then take another towel and roll it up like a doughnut looks and place the bird in the center of the doughnut. This will help relieve the stress on his leg. Put another towel over about half the TOP of the box and use clothespins to hold it securely to the top of the box. This way the warmth will stay in the box but he'll still get air. You don't want the box falling in on him and possibly smothering him. If you're worried about him getting out you can lay an oven rack on the top which will still allow air to get to him.

Put a bowl of seed and some water at the end of the box opposite where he is and keep things pretty quiet around him for the rest of the day and night.

Has he been eating and drinking water? Has he been pooping and what do the poops look like? You will need to keep an eye on him and if he soils the towel replace it so he stays dry.
Posted 21st October 2006, 01:48 PM
Hi Gimpie and daughter~

That is a disgrace the way the vet is handling your pigeons with his "I don't care" attitude. Many veterinarians unfortunately do not wish to be bothered with pigeons. But Let us focus on Gimpie for now.

You have been given some very good advice, and if you have not read this in the resource section, here is the link.

http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/showthread.php?t=11265

TOOTERVILLE

Last edited by Victor; 21st October 2006 at 01:57 PM.
Posted 21st October 2006, 02:18 PM
Have you checked him out for any open wounds?
Also check the bad leg carefully and compare it with the healthy one.
Open his beak and see if you notice any slime, abnormal growths or anything that doesn't look right.
How are the droppings?

Reti
Posted 21st October 2006, 02:55 PM
Thumbs up

his poop is dark geen. He seems to be eating fine and drinking after he eats. He sleeps a lot and when he is awake he is very alert. He likes laying on my chest with a light blanket over the top of him. We will put him in the bathroom where it is the warmest place with no drafts and turn up the heat. Another thing we thought pigeons dont mind the cold because they live outside in hutches....we've got a lot to learn. Thanks for all the advise we are doing everything as instructed.
I really cant see a difference between the two legs except of course he refuses to use it at all. There are no visible wounds that we can see. Im not sure i feel comfortable opening up his mouth yet. I did see the inside of his mouth when he yawned while sitting on my chest.

Last edited by gimpy01; 21st October 2006 at 03:01 PM.
Posted 21st October 2006, 03:16 PM
Hi again~

A healthy poop will be green or brown with white (urates) in the center. It should not be runny, but rather firm...the shape of a swirl, like cookie dough.

TOOTERVILLE

Tags
avian vet, feral pigeon, heating pad, injured bird, injured birds, injured pigeon, local feed store, racing pigeon, sick pigeon, sick pigeons, wild bird, young pigeon

You may also search for: