Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeon Crisis - Emergency! > Sick or Injured Pigeon and Dove Discussions

Notices

Posted 9th June 2012, 05:28 PM
Exclamation

HELP!! wild mourning dove with neck bulge/injury

PLEASE HELP!! I have been watching a young mourning dove for a couple of weeks. At first his feathers looked grizzled like he was attacked about the neck. He is all alone and did not seem to move when other birds were very close. Through the binoculars (he is often on the neighbor's roof), it appeared as if he had a bulge on his neck that got large and small, but hard to see clearly. We thought he was doing this like a mating ritual, but he is young and seems to have some downy feathers, no parents or mate. I use a wheelchair and just thought he was a "challenged" bird and looked forward to seeing him either on the ground by the tree or on the neighbor's roof. My friend said it looked like he had a turkey gobbler and maybe wasn't a dove afterall. Well, I got a good look tonight and that bulge fills up, then goes down. It appears that on each side just below is a wound with raw skin or blood. I saw him picking at the feathers or wound and it is much worse than before. In the past I have taken injured birds I found to the vet, but they did not survive or were not seen as an emergency. How do I catch him, what do I do, what could this be. I am in South east Michigan (suburb of Detroit)

Posted 9th June 2012, 06:05 PM
Canker can cause them to have a bulge on the neck. Or maybe he has been injured by a predator.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Posted 9th June 2012, 06:39 PM
I don't know how you can catch him as he is on the roof.

If all the beasts were
gone, men would die
from great loneliness of
spirit, for whatever
happens to the beasts
also happens to the man.
Seattle 1736-1866

Another Life, Gone To The Birds!

DO NO HARM

Member, International Wildlife Rehabilitation Council
Posted 9th June 2012, 07:56 PM
The bulge could be a ruptured air sack from the injury. If you put food on the ground maybe he'll come down. Then you could catch him with a box trap. Here are instructions on making one from a UK pigeon rescue site:

To start with, you will need a cardboard box, a stick and a string. The length of the cardboard box should be 18 inches, 10 inches in height and 12 inches wide. Put a weight on one end of the box, a 2x3 or a 2x4 is very much advisable. The weight should be parallel with the end of the box. Make sure that you create an opening on top of the box (approximately 6x6 inches or 7x7 inches). You will use this as an access door to get the bird later after capturing.
Now tie the string (around 20 feet or more) with a stick around 10-12 inches. Place the box inclined, on top of the stick. The weight should be directly above the stick so that later when you pull the stick, the weight should facilitate the fall of the cardboard box.
Now for the capturing moment, put the bait right under the trap. The main idea is that the bird will eat the bait while you are carefully observing. And once the bird is under the trap, you will pull the string from 20 feet away. The stick gets pulled away while the box falls over the bird, capturing it. And then you will reach into the access door you cut earlier and voila! You have caught the bird.
Posted 10th June 2012, 02:48 PM
Exclamation

RE: pigeon with neck injury/wound

Thank you nycpigeonlady, and all others,
I forgot to say it looked like some kind of birth deformity (initially). Now, I think it could be the air sack you speak of and/or wounds from a predator-also I think he is pecking at it. I have not seen him today, not on the neighbor's roof, on the telephone wires, or on the ground. It was very hot and sunny here in Detroit today. I had to go out for awhile so I did sprinkle a little food on the ground by our tree where he sometimes lays, and little bowls of water. I fear he is gone and I am very sad I could not help. I prayed all nite about it (sorry if that sounds silly or offends anyone). I will keep you updated. I am so glad I found this site, albeit a bit late.
Posted 10th June 2012, 02:53 PM
Exclamation

RE: pigeon with neck wound

One thing after reading the instructions. I use a wheelchair and I cannot see him when he lays by the tree. I come up the driveway and no matter how quiet, he always flew off onto the neighbor's garage roof. He doesn't seem to come when i am in the yard, but if he does come back I will try it. Again, I am so grateful for this site and the caring people who do think a pigeon or dove's life is meaningful.
Posted 10th June 2012, 03:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidecat View Post
I fear he is gone and I am very sad I could not help. I prayed all nite about it (sorry if that sounds silly or offends anyone). I will keep you updated. I am so glad I found this site, albeit a bit late.
That is not silly at all, it is the BEST thing you can do for the little one. It always works for me!

Every negative event effects my ability to own my APBT, please be a responsible owner and keep your pitbull out of trouble.
Posted 10th June 2012, 04:14 PM
I hope he's still alive and comes back, but either way - thank you for caring and trying to do something for the this little bird.
Posted 11th June 2012, 10:19 AM
Exclamation

Injured mourning dove with neck bulge/wound

Hello all,
I saw him atop the neighbor's garage today. I was sure he was gone and that I (selfishly) was spared seeing his end..was just hoping someone gave him a proper burial. Called the Michigan DNR who referred me to the licensed wildlife rehabilitator's website. Narrowed down to those who rehabbed small birds. One told me to use a long net to capture, the other said "good luck" trying to trap but she was sooo nice and a REAL animal/nature lover). Seeing as my partner and I are both mobility limited (and he is not as 'engaged" in this as I am-okay, basically he is tired of hearing about the dove). Anyway, should I buy a net, is this a safe way to catch it. I like the box idea, but he doesn't come when anyone is in the yard. I usually just happen upon him. Any ideas are most appreciated

Tags
bloody wound (?), michigan, neck bulge