Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeon Crisis - Emergency! > Sick or Injured Pigeon and Dove Discussions

Notices

Posted 10th April 2009, 09:36 AM
Exclamation

Incredible inflatable bird (air sac rupture pics)

All,

Look what i discovered in my loft this morning while feeding.

http://www.neptunetechnical.com/LJ/p...loonbefore.jpg
http://www.neptunetechnical.com/LJ/p...lloonafter.jpg

Before and after 'popping' the poor thing with a syringe needle. He does still show a tendency to inflate...I guess this one is going to have to stay inside for a while

I have never, ever, seen such a case before. The poor thing could barely breathe. I'm not sure if it is "ok" otherwise it seems a little..retarded. I gave it some baby food and it's on heat in a towel with a stash of syringes and alcohol nearby in case it needs further assistance. I'm not sure about it though.

FYI although it's discussed plenty elsewhere, the method of treatment is simply to swab a spot on the extended skin and pierce it with a syringe needle. You can hear the pressure when it's relieved and the bird just deflates, like a balloon. Simple..but weird.

Poor little beeblet!!

Posted 10th April 2009, 10:16 AM
Holy cow!! That must have been a shocker! I've never seen that in such a young bird. Sure hope that whatever opening there is closes up without any complications!
Posted 10th April 2009, 10:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerriB View Post
Holy cow!! That must have been a shocker! I've never seen that in such a young bird. Sure hope that whatever opening there is closes up without any complications!
It was a shocker. 2-3 times the size of its clutchmate I would say. I think I yelled out loud when I saw it. Actually I'd reached into the nest to assess what was going on in there cuz it's up high and my fingers touched it and I jerked them back like I'd stuck my hand in a bucket of worms and said something like WHAT THE HELL IS THAT. When I picked it up to bring it in I was afraid the poor thing would burst..

I'm not sure what else there is to do for these cases except help them out if they get another severe inflation. He seems to get some air under the skin that deflates on its own now, not sure if it could still be 'leaking' out the little punctures i made or if it's absorbing by other means.

I'm just gonna keep an eye on him and take care of him best I can...of course I discoved this as I was feeding up so I could go away for a couple days...now I have to take a "medical emergency" with me on vacation. What is it with their timing anyway.
Posted 10th April 2009, 10:57 AM
OMG, never have I seen a case this severe. Geez, his entire body was inflated. I'm glad you were able to catch this in time. I know we have had many with inflated air sacs that only required a couple times of being pricked but this baby may need it for a few days.
Posted 10th April 2009, 10:59 AM
Oh my goodness.....That is awful.

I'm glad you treated it and are keeping a close eye on the baby, I can't imagine how that poor baby felt.

Every negative event effects my ability to own my APBT, please be a responsible owner and keep your pitbull out of trouble.
Posted 10th April 2009, 11:15 AM
he looked like a little piece of popcorn! I feel so bad for him.
Posted 10th April 2009, 02:49 PM
Oh the poor thing...it does look like a balloon...what causes it? you said "inflated air sac" whats that?
Posted 10th April 2009, 03:26 PM
There's always something new to learn about pigeons, isn't there! Poor little fella - What does cause it, and is it entirely curable?
Posted 10th April 2009, 03:52 PM
It sounds like something got ruptured inside...maby the bird equivalent to a collapsed lung in humans? Soo i think i would heal just like collapsed lungs heal.
Posted 10th April 2009, 04:16 PM
This site gives a pretty comprehensive description of air sacs.

http://www.peteducation.com/article....+1829&aid=2721

Most of the pigeons we get in to rehab that have inflated air sacs got that way through a fall from the nest which is usually built pretty high off the ground like a bridge overpass. Their body gets bruised and that sometimes causes the air bubbles to form.

A lot of times you don't even have to release the air if the bubble is small. In TheSnipes bird's case, the bubbles had to be deflated. It is a pretty simple procedure but you have to be careful not to hit a blood vessel with the needle.
Posted 10th April 2009, 04:42 PM
Huh...well thats something i didnt know! so it is kind of like a collapsed lung...except lungs arent involved XD. TheSnipes bird looked like it has some bruises on its back from the pressure? Poor thing must have been in pain
Posted 10th April 2009, 05:37 PM
OMG..........The poor little bird!!!! I have never seen anything as bad as this before. Thank God you got to him in time.

I hope and will pray that this baby will be OK.
Posted 10th April 2009, 06:19 PM
Hi, thanks for the good thoughts. Yes his little skin was SO distended he had developed some broken blood vessels. Through the day littler bubbles would form and go away on their own...tonight though I had to 'pop' him in 3 spots, the crop area and one prick on each side where large bubbles were forming again.

To my relief though he finally pooped. Two nice bigs ones, so I think his digestion is moving again. He was cold and clammy when I found him this morning (who could sit on him? He'd have popped for sure?) and maybe being on the nice warm pad has helped his digestion start going again. So he's had the air let out and a full tummy again. He has also started moving around more normally and is squeaking.

Maggie, it's good to know that he might need it for a few days cuz I was already starting to worry having done it twice. At any rate I always say I won't give up till they do
Posted 11th April 2009, 08:13 AM
Snipes, I'm so happy with your positive report - especially the poops!

Sounds like the bubbles are going away as he heals. Its pretty fascinating to see how quickly they go down when the bubble is pricked.
Posted 11th April 2009, 10:05 AM
Here is what the vet replied via email. I post it here to add the info the the "PT archives." I'm going to put him on some meds soon as I get home tonight.

"The under the skin airsacs empty into the other ones by a one-way valve. What causes the problem is if that valve gets gummed up. Usually there is an underlying infection that messes things up and then the valve just stays messed up. I would do antibiotics for two weeks and empty the air out as needed. Keep in mind that he may blow up occasionally forever."

Tags
air sac, ruptured air sac

You may also search for: