Pigeon-Talk banner

Injured pigeon

Tags
pigeon
1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Marina B 
#1 ·
Found an injured pigeon in the garden late yesterday evening, feathers all over so I'm guessing maybe a cat caught it. Managed to catch it with the help of my daughter and put it in a pet carrier.

Checked on it this morning and genuinely thought it had passed away (has a deep gash in its neck and an injury to its side), moved it, couldn't detect breathing and it felt cold...was going to bury it after work. Have come home to find it moving around and some of the seed seems to have gone.

Was going to phone the vet but my daughter says they often put to sleep as a matter of course, it does seem to have a bad injury but it may be treatable? I have no experience of this just didn't want to leave the poor thing an easy target in the garden. Have checked for wildlife centres but none near here.

#4 ·
If you can't get him to a rescue centre and you don't mind spending a bit of money, plse take him to a vet asap. You are the customer and can insist on not having him put to sleep. If he is still alive, that means there are not injuries internally and he might survive the whole ordeal. He will need antibiotics like amoxycillin (betamox 500 mg capsules). Cat saliva is deadly to birds. Unfortunately in some countries you need a prescription for that, in our country I get mine from a pharmacy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.