Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeon Crisis - Emergency! > Sick or Injured Pigeon and Dove Discussions

Notices

Posted 17th August 2011, 05:57 PM

Pigeon with broken leg and wing?

Sorry if this post has been put up a few times, but my girlfriend's dog got hold of a pigeon and it seems like the left wing and right leg are broken.

The left wing seems to have some movement but is very weak. Not sure if it is broken/bruised/possibly dislocated? Any advice on the wing would be great. For now, it was attempted to be wrapped incase it was broken.

The right leg seems strong at the top (the thigh? not sure what it would be in pigeon talk) but the area where the pigeon's thigh? and shin? is very swollen and limpy compared to the left leg. It's kinda sad to see the pigeon not able to move at all and was wondering if there were a way to fix the lag atleast.

Also, I live in Surprise, AZ, so it's pretty hot around here. Does anyone know someone I could give the pigeon to? If not, any advice with the pigeon would greatly help. If it isn't able to fly then my girlfriend's dad may kill it. Thanks again for any feedback!

Posted 17th August 2011, 06:37 PM
This resource was posted in another thread, they may be able to help you, if for whatever reason this is a no go, or is going to take some time to arrange, there are few link that will help with treatment to stabilize him. He is going to need to start a course of oral antibiotics, do you have any around for your self, family, friends, other pets?

http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/showpo...50&postcount=4

http://www.starlingtalk.com/fractures.htm

leg-51008.html" target="_blank">http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/f6/bro.../a>-51008.html

They appreciate it most times if you can get them set up in a "towel Donut" like this:

http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/showpo...22&postcount=6

Can you post up a few photos of this little guy, here's how:

http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/showpo...9&postcount=15

Good luck,

Karyn
Posted 17th August 2011, 07:09 PM
Some pics of the leg (kinda hard to tell but the whole joint area is swollen. Maybe it broke right at the joint or it's dislocated... I can't tell):
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Optimized-IMG00249.jpg (89.4 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg Optimized-IMG00247.jpg (86.7 KB, 31 views)
Posted 17th August 2011, 07:18 PM
Hard to make out much from the photos. Do me a favor, with the tip of your middle, index and thumb, can get gently probe up and down the leg and see if you can feel a distance break. Feel the good leg, then the one in question for comparison. Anything on the antibiotics?

Try a few more photos of the whole bird as well from both sides, see if you can work on the focusing, and one from right over head of his whole body. You can provide him with some water and small seeds for now.

Here's an idea of the quality that will help us out a bit more: http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/showpo...8&postcount=17

Karyn

Last edited by Dobato; 17th August 2011 at 07:20 PM.
Posted 17th August 2011, 07:54 PM
Most times, people get too near with a camera that isn't set for macro or doesn't have a macro setting. If it's a cell phone camera, you might just want to back up a bit and try a few shots at different distances.

Anyhow, I can't see anything horrible in those shots (seen a LOT worse). That is, the legs are somewhat in the right position even if there is a fracture. Many vets have taken to using some pretty simple ways of dealing with wild birds' fractures as shown below in this repost:

It's possible to splint a broken leg on any bird with masking tape and it's pretty simple as well--that's what most vets do if it's not too complex of a fracture. You can take a look at this page and study the skeletal drawings to help you figure out the applicable anatomy:

http://people.eku.edu/ritchisong/skeleton.html

In any case, you can roll up a towel into a donut that the bird can settle into the middle of in such a way as to take any pressure off of the leg easily. Sometimes, you can bring them in the house and treat them like the Queen of Sheba with food and water right in front of them and they'll behave pretty well. About the only thing they'll stand up to do is poop and if you dutifully keep that cleaned up and then gently put them back down, they can learn to take it real easy and heal up just like that.

Otherwise, you sometimes have to clip the feathers of the leg closely with scissors and use masking tape to immobilize the leg as shown here:

...and it might come out looking like this:

The break on this bird was high enough on the tibiotarsus that I extended the tape up and over the back to help it immobilize it--otherwise, following the drawings above wouldn't have gone high enough to actually do the job. I clipped all the feathers short where the tape went, too.

Pidgey

Last edited by Pidgey; 18th August 2011 at 06:59 AM.
Posted 17th August 2011, 08:01 PM
Well I felt both legs and the only difference between the two was the "knee" joint. I didn't feel any breaks and the joint was also very swollen and the whole bottom part of the leg was paralyzed (toes didn't move at all). The upper "thigh" felt fine though, and the pigeon could freely move it.
Posted 17th August 2011, 08:53 PM
That you could not feel an obvious break is good, sometimes when broken, they feel like one part is freely detached from the other and kind of flops in any direction. Get him set up in a donut like we have suggested for now, confined to a pretty small space so he is forced to rest his legs and wings (will wait for the body shots). The antibiotics are pretty important, please give us an idea about these.

The other thing I thought I should mention is that it's pretty unusual for a dog to get a hold of a healthy pigeon, so this little guy may have had something going on with him prior to the encounter with your girlfriend's dog, and still would, so on top of the now physical injuries, we may have a possible illness as well to deal with. We will have to look further into this, an additional reason why some meds may be needed.

Karyn

Last edited by Dobato; 17th August 2011 at 09:03 PM.
Posted 17th August 2011, 09:30 PM
Thanks for all the replies so far! I did the towel donut thing and he/she isn't moving around as much which is good. As far as antibiotics go, there are a few pet stores around I can check on but i'm not sure what to buy? And it's prettty hot outside (around 100+) and my parents aren't allowing the pigeon to stay indoors at all anymore. Any suggestions? I'm being forced to put him in the garage for the night so hopefully it won't get too hot. When daytime comes ill have to move him in the shade...

Also, what kind of photos would you like to see? Full body or just the leg part? And with the sickness it might have, what would you suggest I look at?
Posted 18th August 2011, 05:47 AM
Yes, some full body shot's, from both side and from and if you could try again for a few clear shots of the leg, this would be good as well. Please try and make contact Jody, at Fallenfeathers, the contact information is inside the first link I posted for you to see if she can help.

With the antibiotics, as mentioned, there are a number of them that we humans take that can work for birds as well, so if any of your family or friends have some around, depending on the kind, they may work.

Also, there are some tropical fish stores that carry meds for fish that will work on birds (the meds for fish most times are more useful than the meds for caged birds that may come from a regular pet store). You want to call around and see if the have two meds one is called Triple-Sulfa made by API and the other is called Metroplex, made by Seachem. Here is a list of tropical fish stores in you area to get you started:

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...w=1286&bih=708

If he has to stay in the garage, make sure that nothing can get in to do harm to him (cats, rats, snakes and so on).

Good luck,

Karyn

Last edited by Dobato; 18th August 2011 at 06:02 AM.
Posted 18th August 2011, 07:04 AM
Most of the time, breaks don't swell much in birds. That said, he might be suffering from septic arthritis in that leg joint. I'd probably go with an injectable Penicillin or an oral Doxycycline. Those would also work against Pasteurella multocida, a nasty bacteria that often lives in the gums and mouths of predators that is fairly lethal to birds.

Pidgey

Last edited by Pidgey; 18th August 2011 at 07:07 AM.
Posted 19th August 2011, 06:00 PM
So surprisingly everything seems a lot better. The pigeon has grown a lot (fatter?) and is flapping its wings more. The only problem is that the pigeon doesn't like it's wing wrap anymore and constantly gets it off while in its temporary home.

The leg seems better and isn't as swollen so that's good. The pigeon still can't put any weight on it though :/

Managed to move it inside, too. Although, I noticed that there is a small cut or clip on it's left wing where the wing attaches to the body.

I'll put up some photos shortly. Overall, though, the pigeon is doing a lot better and is definitely more active.
Posted 19th August 2011, 06:02 PM
Pictures of the pigeon:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pig 2.jpg (30.5 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg pig.jpg (27.9 KB, 16 views)
Posted 20th August 2011, 05:48 AM
Glad he is doing a little better. Need to get this guy started on the antibiotics mentioned, did you ask around or can you go and pick some up using the names of what's needed and the link I provided earlier? This is very important for his recovery, if he were infected by the dog and not treated, even though he does not look too bad today, in 5-7 days he will decline rapidly in condition and die shortly there after, without prior antibiotic treatment. Once the decline has started, this means the infection has taken hold and late treatment with antibiotics will be of no help, as it will be too late for him.

Karyn

Last edited by Dobato; 20th August 2011 at 06:03 AM.

Tags
broken, leg, wing, wrapped