Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeon Crisis - Emergency! > Sick or Injured Pigeon and Dove Discussions

Notices

Posted 18th April 2007, 07:25 AM

Poisoning

Edited and such.

Last edited by draykie; 7th November 2008 at 11:02 PM.
Posted 18th April 2007, 07:33 AM
This is a terrible situation, I have been through this and it is heartbreaking.
Do you know when they are coming? Is there any way to talk them out of this? What if you promise them you stop feeding the birds?
You need to have activated charcoal on hands in case you do find a poisoned bird. I takes only a few hours for the symptoms to develop from the time they ingest the poison.
Is there a way you can go up to the roof anf sweep up the poisoned food?

Reti
Posted 18th April 2007, 07:46 AM
Hi Draykie

I am sorry you are experiencing this problem with potential poisoning. Maybe if you can get up to the roof and sweep all the poisoned seeds you can prevent this from harming any of the pigeons.

"Jazaroo" recently got in a pigeon that he suspects was poisoned. Here is his recent post about how he handled it. He will probably be on later and can describe in more detail how much activated charcoal he uses.

http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/showpo...0&postcount=55

Last edited by Maggie-NC; 18th April 2007 at 09:52 AM.
Posted 18th April 2007, 07:50 AM
Edited and such.

Posted 18th April 2007, 07:53 AM
Where abouts are you located and will you have access to the roof? Can you take pictures? Will the Pest Control Co. be pulling a permit to do this? There are rules they have to follow and if they are getting any other birds up there
that are protected species, then you may be able to stop them. Also, if any of the poison they put out gets rained on and carried off the roof top and down to the ground level and into storm drains this would be a major No-No as well. You may not be able to go toe to toe on the topic of getting rid of pigeons, but you surely can on other related issues that are strongly legislated. Also, why is your building not electing to do preventative measures as opposed to poisoning once they roost there. This would be a one time monetary expenditure and many cities provide economic incentives for folks to install pigeon deterrents to roosting as well.

fp
Posted 18th April 2007, 08:04 AM
Edited and such.

Posted 18th April 2007, 08:11 AM
I would makes sure they have a permit and not some fly by night company. The other thing is that these pest control people not just poision pigeons but many other native song birds. If you can find out what they are using, some poisions are illegal to use.
Posted 18th April 2007, 08:45 AM
Edited and such.

Posted 18th April 2007, 09:24 AM

You should check with the laws in your area,I know it would be illegal in my area to endanger a federally protected bird of prey,which may eat a poisoned pigeon and get sick/or die.The laws where you are, are different than the ones i must abide by,so maybe your pest control can use different poisons than what would be legal here in the US..........
My experience with poisoned birds is that if you want them to live,since they have very high metabolisms the poison must be dealt with soon,if it progresses the birds chance of survival becomes less and less depending on the poison.You should explore the matter and see if what they are doing is legal.
Posted 18th April 2007, 09:26 AM
Lightbulb

Maybe you do have some legal legs -- perhaps this will help

It's a shame that they are poisoning the animals without first using the harrassing deterrents.
I'm pasting some links in here that may help.
The first is a link to a recent news story about a poisoning in one of the territories Nunavat where it is illegal to poison any animal (the birds were poisoned with avitrol)
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/north/story...nu-ravens.html
This is a link provided by the gov. of Manitoba
http://www.gov.mb.ca/agriculture/foo.../cfs02s17.html
and by clicking on their pest control link, here's the site that comes up:http://www.pestcontrolcanada.com/birds.htm
The other is a link to a major pest control company that operates in Manitoba.
http://www.nimby.ca/bird.htm
I have a feeling the only way you are going to get success with this is if you work with some environmental people and emphasize that any poison will make its way into the ground water and also poison other animals that either eat the dying "bad" birds or encounter the grain or washed off pesticides from the poison.
Last but not least, here is a link to the Manitoba govt's law and regs page. Maybe you can find something in here to help.
http://www.gov.mb.ca/chc/statpub/
Good luck.
Posted 18th April 2007, 09:33 AM
Hi Draykie,

I also looked into this and made a number of call to Winnipeg. I think I finally spoke to the right person his name is Dustin Degagne, he is with Canadian Federal Wildlife Services (204) 984-4977. He needed more information such as location and address and so forth, but from what I can gather, as long as there is a chance of poisoning federally protected wildlife, they can't do this, and he is expecting your call.

I won't post on the charcoal now, but will do a post later on the information.

Ron
Posted 18th April 2007, 09:41 AM
Edited and such.

Last edited by draykie; 7th November 2008 at 11:03 PM.
Posted 18th April 2007, 09:55 AM
Draykie, in one of the calls I made, on the way to reaching the right person, the Ministry of Conservation and Natural Resources I think (in all, I called 6 different offices), someone checked and told me that "wild" Pigeons were protected. I asked what the difference was between a "wild" Pigeon and the ones we see everyday was, wouldn't they all be "wild" and he agreed, they would.

Also. when I spoke to Dustin DeGagne, I only got as far as ducks and geese and he seemed ready to jump into action, so I hoping his office will indeed step in and halt this.

Please keep us updated.

Good luck,

Ron
Posted 18th April 2007, 10:26 AM
Draykie, If you can ask around about the company that is putting the poision down, someone should know something about them. There are case where someone will hire a company without checking to see if they have a permit or find out what they are using. It happened up where I used to live and the pest company got in major trouble for killing pigeons, but song birds to. I would definitely call the Canadian Federal Wildlife Services and let them know what is going on.
Posted 18th April 2007, 10:27 AM
Ron, I don't mean to get mushy about this but you are just the best. Here's to hope for the pigeons in Winnepeg.

Tags
feral pigeon, mourning dove, pest control, seed mix, tube feeding

You may also search for: