Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeon Crisis - Emergency! > Sick or Injured Pigeon and Dove Discussions

Notices

Posted 22nd May 2006, 12:55 PM

what killed my pigeon

Today I got my only female pigeon dead.Before this she stayed two days sick with symptoms of two red eyes and the one almost closed,legs were not working and both wings closed to chest.Neck was loose like broken but when I touch it pigeon was not reacting feeling pain.At the end neck was close to chest.I try to give her water but it was difficult and she was drinking very few.Any ideas of what it might killed my pigeon?

Posted 22nd May 2006, 01:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by arshad
Today I got my only female pigeon dead.Before this she stayed two days sick with symptoms of two red eyes and the one almost closed,legs were not working and both wings closed to chest.Neck was loose like broken but when I touch it pigeon was not reacting feeling pain.At the end neck was close to chest.I try to give her water but it was difficult and she was drinking very few.Any ideas of what it might killed my pigeon?

Hello arshad!

Welcome to Pigeon Talk.

I'm so sorry to hear about this bird being sick and dying.

Was this your pigeon for a long time or did you just acquire it? Did the bird have any noticeable injuries? Did the bird have any innoculations? Was the bird allowed to free fly?

Depending on whether you actually owned the bird from day 1 or if it had a history of another home , we can only guess. Perhaps it had Paratyphoid, or PMV, or it had something else, with possible secondary infections.

Others will be along with some of their thoughts.

Every negative event effects my ability to own my APBT, please be a responsible owner and keep your pitbull out of trouble.

Last edited by Skyeking; 22nd May 2006 at 01:24 PM.
Posted 22nd May 2006, 01:52 PM
Or possibly even Chlamydiosis (also called Ornithosis or Psittacosis). Was she having real trouble breathing?

Pidgey
Posted 24th May 2006, 01:15 PM
hi teresa,
I got this pigeon since 1 year and before death I notice no injuries.
This bird was almost 2 months when I got it and I had never inoculate it.
All my birds are allowed 8 hours to fly if they like everyday.They fly all aprox 1 hour.
Can you tell me more about these deseases you think that kill my bird or if you think that I can follow any medical treatment to other pigeons?
You should see her husband how he looks around to find her,I feel very sad of it...
Arshad.GREECE.
Posted 24th May 2006, 02:10 PM
I'm sure the male pigeon is very sad and misses her.

While I cannot tell you what exactly your bird died from, I can tell you that most people innoculate their birds for PMV, Paratyphoid and Pox.

These innoculations are available from pigeon supply stores here in the U.S., but I am not sure if they are available in Greece

This will give you a source to see the list of pigeon diseases and products for them:

http://www.siegelpigeons.com/

Please make sure that any pigeons you have that were in contact with the hen who died get checked out by an avian vet, as they may have contracted it from the hen who died. The avian vet would be able to give you the proper medications if needed.

Every negative event effects my ability to own my APBT, please be a responsible owner and keep your pitbull out of trouble.
Posted 24th May 2006, 02:24 PM
Salmonella (also commonly called "Paratyphoid") is a bacteria that generally lives in the intestines of animals. Pigeons usually get it by accidently eating mouse droppings. There are many different strains or types of the disease but it can have many different symptoms that range from severe diarrhea that indicated enteritis to an arthritic form that can cause swelling of the wing and leg joints nearly crippling the bird to a form that attacks the Central Nervous System (CNS) and basically shuts the bird down to an organ form that causes all kinds of problems that show up as weakness and general illness. It can be mild or it can kill quite suddenly. There are vaccinations that you can buy but it requires injecting the birds with a hypodermic needle. I don't know if you'd find those vaccines in Greece. Treatment is done with antibiotics, Enrofloxacin (a Fluoroquinolone like Ciprofloxacin) being considered the first choice. It's very difficult to treat for the acute form (the one that seems to kill with very little symptoms beforehand) because you don't know the bird's sick until it drops over dead.

Chlamydiosis (also called Ornithosis) is a different kind of disease--it's not a bacteria--it's much smaller and it actually invades the inside of the cells of the body. It can also cause rapid death although you would normally see a clear nasal discharge (a wetness at the nostrils, usually on one side), a redness or inflammation (swelling) of the tissues around the eye (the conjunctiva; conjunctivitis) and possibly labored breathing. This disease is usually countered with an antibiotic from the Tetracycline family, most usually Doxycycline, and usually for 45 days straight.

There are other possibilities but it's very difficult to know based on the little information that you have. Sometimes its necessary to have a veterinarian perform some labwork and a necropsy (autopsy) to figure out why the bird died and that doesn't always work, either.

Pidgey

Tags
avian vet, female pigeon, male pigeon, pigeon supply, pigeon supply store