Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeon Crisis - Emergency! > Sick or Injured Pigeon and Dove Discussions

Notices

Posted 11th September 2011, 08:22 PM
Question

what should be the dose of Virkons in drinking water

Hello friends can anyone help me-i have to give the Virkons to my 50 birds but i dont know the doses for it(i am giveing this coz i think that some of my pigeons are suffering from cocidisis ).So can any one help me about thin that how much should i use for about 50 pigeons in how much of water.
Thanks & regards
Nishub

Posted 11th September 2011, 09:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nishub View Post
Hello friends can anyone help me-i have to give the Virkons to my 50 birds but i dont know the doses for it(i am giveing this coz i think that some of my pigeons are suffering from cocidisis ).So can any one help me about thin that how much should i use for about 50 pigeons in how much of water.
Thanks & regards
Nishub
Nishub, are you talking about "Virkon S", as this is a surface disinfectant and not meant for internal use (I have and use this product, by the way). I know there are some anecdotal reports of fanciers using a tiny concentration for suspected sour crop issues, (not recommended by the Dupont, the manufacturer, by the way). If you have this product I would advise using it as Dupont intended, as surface disinfectant, not for internal use in your pigeons. Where are you located, as there any number of safe, proven medicines that will be a much better choice for your birds, as they will work and not kill them.

Also, what makes you think your birds may have coccidiosis, where they diagnosed through a fecal exam, or are you just going by that they have loose droppings? Can you post up a photo of the droppings, any other symptoms?

Karyn

Last edited by Dobato; 11th September 2011 at 09:57 PM.
Posted 12th September 2011, 05:27 AM

thanks friend

First of all thanks for the suggestion & secondly yes some of my birds have the loose droping but the main prob is that most of them are facing Muscle Wasting and muscle(flesh) around the keel bone lookes like to appear outside.i am from india and here are not such madicines for the pigeons are not available here,someone have told me to give the virkon s to them but could not tell me the dose.& the secondly they dont eat much and stands in a corner of the loft & there is a"seed" near the anus/vent .Dobato i am very disturb about that what to do i could not understand.is that muscle wasting or coccidiosis???i cant understand.PLZ HELP

Last edited by nishub; 12th September 2011 at 06:56 AM.
Posted 12th September 2011, 06:56 AM
Nishub, I have helped a number of people from you country, India, and while there may not be a lot medicine readily available for pigeons, many of the same medicines that are used for humans will work, and are used, in the treatment and health of pigeons. I want you to go to a local drug store and ask for a medicine called Trimethoprim/Sulfa (aka - Septra, Bactrim, Sulfatrim and Cotrimoxazole). In comes in a few different strength of pills (see if you can get the double strength ones -DS you will need about 12 DS pill or 25 regular strength pills to treat 50 birds for 7-10 days), you will also need a 1cc syringe (the kind without an attached needle - must be a 1cc one).

The medicine I am suggesting will treat for coccidiosis, plus it will treat for salmonella, E. Coli and a number of other bacterial infections that can affect pigeons. In my opinion, this may be a good idea in case you are mistaken and they don't have coccidiosis, but bacterial issues. Let me know when you pick up the meds and what form and strength it is in and I will help you with dosing. If you have some bird that are in worse condition that the rest, we can treat those individually and the rest by water treatment.

Karyn

Last edited by Dobato; 12th September 2011 at 11:38 AM.
Posted 12th September 2011, 07:14 AM
thanks again bro you really have a very helping nature i will go for that medicine can amprolium powder will works in that,& plz tell me the dose/litter in the water of that medicine you have told.
Thanks & regards
Posted 12th September 2011, 07:39 AM
Quote:
thanks again bro you really have a very helping nature i will go for that medicine can amprolium powder will works in that,& plz tell me the dose/litter in the water of that medicine you have told.
Thanks & regards
The Amprolium you mention will work (need to be careful with dose amounts) to treat for coccidiosis, but coccidiosis only, if you are wrong and it's a different infection this medicine will not help, that why I am suggesting you use the Trimethoprim/Sulfa. I will need to know the strength of the medicine you get before I can suggest how much to use.

Karyn
Posted 12th September 2011, 07:59 AM
Yes friend i have got the medicines you have mantained thats co-trimoxazole(double strainth) tab,now what to do with it,one more thing i have bowel for their water drinking in which(less then 4 litter) water comes.& i have 49 birds.so plz tell me the dose.
Thanks & regards
Nishub
Posted 12th September 2011, 08:04 AM
And one more thing bro what should be the amount of Neomycin sulphate and doxycycline powder (combination),& Amprolium powder for one pigeon & how long it should be treated to a sick bird.
Posted 12th September 2011, 08:13 AM
Quote:
Yes friend i have got the medicines you have mantained thats co-trimoxazole(double strainth) tab,now what to do with it,one more thing i have bowel for their water drinking in which(less then 4 litter) water comes.& i have 49 birds.so plz tell me the dose.
Thanks & regards
Nishub
Nishub, you will take two of the Co-Trimoxazole DS pills and grind them up into as very fine a powder as you can, please be very careful when doing this none of the powder goes astray. I want you to get a clean 4 liter plastic container and add the powder inside after grinding, and then add 1 liter of very warm water. Shake this very well for a few minutes, then let rest a few minutes, shake well again, then add 2 liters more of tap water, shake well again, let rest for a few minutes, shake once more, then add the last liter of water in, shake well and dispense this medicated water to you birds. Start with 7 days, make sure they can not get any other water but this medicated water.

Please let us know how things go,

Karyn
Posted 12th September 2011, 08:15 AM
Quote:
And one more thing bro what should be the amount of Neomycin sulphate and doxycycline powder (combination),& Amprolium powder for one pigeon & how long it should be treated to a sick bird.
Would need to know what the name of this product is and the concentrations of each med in it. Start with the Trimethoprim/Sulfa first, as it will treat most of the very same issues that the med you mention above will.

Karyn

Last edited by Dobato; 12th September 2011 at 08:18 AM.
Posted 12th September 2011, 10:16 AM
Thanks a lots bro it will be more then help for me and i will inform you defiantly about the results,let me clear one thing -after desolving the tabs in one litter of warm water i have to mix the water of normal temp in two steps or what do you mean by tap water?
and plz tell me what should be the dose of it for a single pigeon?
and about those two medicines-the Neomycin sulphate and doxycycline powder (combination) has been used for sour crop(in India it has been sold by the name of neodox fort powder.and the other amprolium you know your self well.
Friend i wants to know the correct amount of those powders for a single bird.
And plz let me know that if any pigeon have confermed one of these decases then should i use the Co-Trimoxazole DS tab or i should use those powders and if i should use Co-Trimoxazole DS then what should be the dose to a single bird.
Regards
Nishub
Posted 12th September 2011, 11:33 AM
Sorry, if I was not clear enough. What I meant by "tap water" was that after the first warm water liter, to help dissolve the medicine into solution, the other 3 liters can be just the regular water you use everyday, no need to warm or do anything with it.

For individual dosing, you will take one of the Co-Trimoxazole DS tablets and cut it evenly in half, and put 1/2 away. The other 1/2 I want you to grind into as very fine a powder as you can, I use a shot-glass and the end of a kitchen knife the has a rounded end on it. After it is finely ground/powdered, I want you to add into this powder 10mL of honey (10mL = 2 teaspoons, but you must use a measuring teaspoon used for baking, scape spoon out well). Stir the powdered Trimethoprim/Sulfa and honey together well, cover and let sit 20 minutes, stir well again and you will have a 4.8% Co-Trimoxazole suspension to dose with.

Dosing for most meds is based on the body weight of a bird, if you have no way to weight a bird, if you use 300g for an adult as a place to start with, as I know birds in you neck of the woods tend to be smaller in body mass than over here, this will cover you for a bird that could weigh somewhat less ,or more, while still being effective and safe in your dosing.

You will want to give 0.10cc (the first line on a 1cc syringe, about 2 drops) for every 100g of body weight, so the 300g bird mentioned above would get 0.30cc (third line on a 1cc syringe and about 6 drops), this is given every 12 hours. You will place one drop at a time into the mouth and let the bird tongue the medicine down. Keep suspension in the refrigerator between use, and stir well each time you use it, You can get a 1cc syringe, the kind without an attached needle, at any drug store.

I am not comfortable advising on dosing on your other med, as I do not know this medicine, but will say that Neomycin is not used a lot for a few reasons one is toxicity concerns and the other is that it's not a good choice for systemic infections.

Have you ever seen any evidence of worms in you pigeon's droppings, or have you ever wormed you birds, if yes, was it productive, did they pass out any worms?

Good luck with them,

Karyn

Last edited by Dobato; 12th September 2011 at 11:47 AM.
Posted 12th September 2011, 04:13 PM
Thanks again& again Karyn
first of all i have to tell you that i dont have the short breeds.i have only fancy imported breeds like bookhra,jacobian,lahors,frillback,fantails,& runts and all of them are big birds and i can weight the bird so i will do the same as/weight you have told me & plz tell me should i deworm my pigeon before providing them the medicines?
I have the albandazole vet medicine as the dewormer should i use it ?or what should i use to deworm my pigeons?
plz tell me what do you use if you see the clear sign of coccidiosis or sour crop & what should be the dose for a single bird & how long it should be administrated to the pigeon.
And friend i have a second problum also-i have bought a pair of bookhara trumpeter from the market about 3 months ago but the mail does not have any interest to cross his girl, he does not even kiss his femail(as the other pairs match their mouth before their maiting) with his girl what should i do.is he a non fertile mail?can he be treated?they are very2 cute & pure breed pigeons & i wants to see their child.

Last edited by nishub; 12th September 2011 at 04:15 PM.
Posted 12th September 2011, 04:32 PM
i agreed with dobato about using the right medicin,i also wanted to try virkon s but im not sure,if you go to the web site of mclaughlin lofts he got some info about it and the dose thats were i first learn about this product.
Posted 12th September 2011, 08:22 PM
Yes peragon i am also agreed with him & thats why i am obeying his instructions but Karyan there is a very big problem that is that Co-Trimoxazole DS tablets are highly & absolutely non soluble in water not even in very warm water,i had boiled the water and then shaked it after putting the tabs powder in it more then 15 times but in the end it always sits down in the container an i am very worried about that wether it will be took by the pigeons or not so is there any soluble form of this medicine or not if there is then kindly guide me plz.

Tags
disinfection