Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeon Crisis - Emergency! > Sick or Injured Pigeon and Dove Discussions

Notices

Posted 5th February 2010, 07:01 PM

wing sores.. any ideas?

I have a disabled pigeon (born with a splay I couldn't fix, no matter how I tried) who has developed sores on both wing joints. It is NOT where she drags herself around, it is on the top.

They started out looking like little sores from feather pulling, but then grew to look almost like tumors. We had a bout of paratyphoid a while back, so I have medicated her with both baytril and keflex for 6 weeks, twice now. The sores seem to have responded somewhat to the meds... they are smaller, feathers are regrowing... but they are now very raw and scabbed over. The new feathers that are attempting to grow in are breaking skin and coming in with blood on the tips. She is picking at them, making them worse.

These do not appear to be paratyphoid boils.. I've seen those before.... these are not filled with fluid, nor is the joint swollen. She has no other signs of illness... no sign of canker at all, beautiful round formed poops, bright eyes, good energy... just these awful sores. They are clearly sore to the touch. No other sores anywhere else... doesn't appear to be pox. None of my other birds are showing any signs of these, either....

Any ideas, anyone? I'd take her to a vet if I could afford it, but having lost my job, that is truly not an option. Suggestions? Should I clean or soak the sores? Treat topically with something? Anyone run across this before?

Posted 5th February 2010, 07:09 PM
Can you post pictures?

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Posted 5th February 2010, 07:38 PM
You need to take her to a vet.

If all the beasts were
gone, men would die
from great loneliness of
spirit, for whatever
happens to the beasts
also happens to the man.
Seattle 1736-1866

Another Life, Gone To The Birds!

DO NO HARM

Member, International Wildlife Rehabilitation Council
Posted 5th February 2010, 11:13 PM
I know I do... but I literally can't even pay my full rent right now. I lost my job, and unemployment hasn't kicked in yet... We aren't even buying food for ourselves at the moment.

Last edited by minimonkey; 5th February 2010 at 11:14 PM. Reason: typo
Posted 6th February 2010, 04:01 AM
Can you post a picture? We should at least have a look before attempting any advice.
Posted 6th February 2010, 05:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by minimonkey View Post
I know I do... but I literally can't even pay my full rent right now. I lost my job, and unemployment hasn't kicked in yet... We aren't even buying food for ourselves at the moment.

Why don't you ask feralpigeon to have a look then.

If all the beasts were
gone, men would die
from great loneliness of
spirit, for whatever
happens to the beasts
also happens to the man.
Seattle 1736-1866

DO NO HARM

Posted 6th February 2010, 12:37 PM
I asked FP... that was the reason for medication for possible paratyphoid.... I will post pics. Hopefully the financial situation will be better soon and a vet will be possible.
Posted 6th February 2010, 08:42 PM
Minimonkey: It is kind of hard to help in an adequate way without knowing more about the situation but the least you can do as to not to hurt the birdie is to put the bird on a good probiotic for pigeons and maybe put some triple antibiotic on the wings--not a lot of antibiotic you don't want the pigeon to become too oily---thats what I would try-not thats it going to work until you get better idea of whats happening--but I would put the birdie on a good probiotic just in case the immune system is totally down because of prior antibiotics for sickness...c.hert
Posted 6th February 2010, 08:47 PM
See if you can get the bird on Doxycycline for awhile (a few weeks)--that is, if the Baytril didn't work. Normally, I'd tend to suggest Clindamycin, but you'd have to get that from a vet, usually after arguing them into it being a good choice. However, mention is made in Avian Medicine: Principles & Application of using it for persistent articular arthritis and I've seen it work quite well.

Pidgey
Posted 6th February 2010, 09:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by minimonkey View Post
I asked FP... that was the reason for medication for possible paratyphoid.... I will post pics. Hopefully the financial situation will be better soon and a vet will be possible.

Ask feralpigeon to have a look.

If all the beasts were
gone, men would die
from great loneliness of
spirit, for whatever
happens to the beasts
also happens to the man.
Seattle 1736-1866

DO NO HARM

Posted 7th February 2010, 03:55 PM
Am attempting to post pics.. hope it works. Cleaned them last night and put ointment on... they look a bit better today. I have her on probiotics (Dr. Pigeons) and also a vitamin supplement.

She is strong and appears otherwise healthy... the baytril didn't knock this out, nor the keflex... could try doxycycline, but am wondering if this is bacterial at all....

FP's guess was paratyphoid, hence the earlier meds. This doesn't appear to be in the joint so much as in the skin above the joint... the joint itself isn't swollen as it was when I had a hen with a true wing boil.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P2060417.jpg (88.6 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg P2060424.jpg (91.7 KB, 26 views)
Posted 7th February 2010, 03:57 PM
Sorry the pics are so huge... I don't know how to make them smaller!
Posted 7th February 2010, 05:38 PM
Once you get a deal like that started, it can sorta' take on a life of it's own, with inflammation being caused by the remaining garbage that can't be expelled by the body. So... sometimes, perhaps, some Dexamethasone might be in order but I'd always used a vet for those kinds of calls. Also kinda' wonder if there's a parasite living in that crap.

Pidgey
Posted 7th February 2010, 06:11 PM
It kind of looks to me like some kind of allergic reaction to something---like Hives so to speak with people but they are large (look large and only two or three sores that I saw--not acquainted with this and Pidgey asked a interesting question: if there is a parasite living in that crap... I would stop all medication and find a way to take it to a Avian Vet and I know this is money you don't have but I would get on the telephone and find out if you could make some arrangements maybe paying later or something but in the meanwhile if the bird is not at deaths door and eating and doing well I would take a step back and watch this situation and see what becomes of it and keep the bird stress free and make sure it has normal temperature 70 and has no respiratory effects like mucus or something like that---this is a hard call--but I would definitely start from scratch with no medicine for now as long as the bird is doing well otherwise--I think the birds immune system for some reason is knocked down and this is the result--getting anything that comes along including these sores and I am wondering if if might be something like a yeast infection because of prior use antibiotics---you need to get a vet to look at this.....c.hert
Posted 7th February 2010, 06:51 PM
Thanks folks... I have her off all meds, except probiotics, garlic and vitamins in her water. Her overall health is really good... she is strong and fiesty. Eating and drinking just fine... good energy, gorgeous droppings, etc.

I kind of suspect that Pidgey hit it right on the head... the irritation has caused the feathers to ingrow, and cause more irritation, etc. The sores are a good deal smaller than they were prior to the antibiotics, but I don't want to leave her on those for too long... obviously that is problematic in itself. I suppose it could be a yeast or other fungal infection in the skin -- whatever it is does seem to be very localized.

They started out as little scabs, then grew very quickly into large lumps without scabs -- now they are scabbing over again and shrinking.

I promise I will get her to a vet as soon as money permits...

Last edited by minimonkey; 7th February 2010 at 06:52 PM. Reason: typo

Tags
wing sores