Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Archives > Archive - AGSG / Pigeon King Birds

Posted 31st July 2008, 10:47 PM

Emergency Incident Regarding Banded AGSG Pigeons, Contact Person Needed

I am sending this email due to a current event in the news of a Pigeon Person out of Canada that was selling pigeons to farmers for $500 a pair with a guarentee that he would purchase back all of the youngsters they produce at $50 each, well it didn't work out for him as you can read in this link http://www.macleans.ca/business/mark...25_59948_59948 and the guy has bailed on all the pigeons he sold, you have to read the entire story, people were advised to release the birds or do what ever they wanted with them as he couldn't buy them back, he has filed for bankruptsy at an amount of 23 million dollars. The birds were supposedly being raised for meat was what I got out of it over the long term. Well over the last month or since this article hit the news I have seen a over whelming amount of birds coming through as reported found, people it appears did what they were advised and just released the birds to fend for them selves. Well we have these birds being picked up all over the east coast and the most current one being found in a rural area in Texas. In order to find out more on this person you can also go to http://www.google.com and enter the search for Pigeon King Canada to read more on this issue.

Why did I come here, well I don't know what to tell all these people that are reporting these birds, but if there happens to be anyone willing to give me their email address as a contact for finders and would like to over see this huge mess for these birds and see that they are gotten to a home I would really appreciate it. If you can do these please email me direct at relofts@sbcglobal.net . I know it is a lot of work to find homes for these birds, but they have no owners, no way to track them, and basically are just banded pigeons turned loose. In the article according to what I read the guy has violated no laws, so I guess he is off the hook and it is the pigeons that are in need of someone to see to their needs. I will watch for any replies.

As most already know we are going Automated on the 911 Pigeon Alert Group. We kept it going with very few people working day and night to assist pigeons, the count was 7,404 Pigeons Reported in 4 years. The few people we had as Moderators including myself were beyond exhaustion and so I had to make the decission to go automated and start referring found birds back to the Organizations, birds not banded or birds that are injured are being referred over to Pigeon Talk, hope it doesn't get to be to much here, I will try to check in more often to help how ever I can.

Thanks everyone for all your help and support.

Ellen

Posted 2nd August 2008, 01:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovebirds View Post
Terry, according to Ellen, these AGSG birds are some of the ones from Arlan Galbraith and people are turning them loose to fend for themselves......I expect there will be quite a few more in the coming weeks...........and this is one of the breeds that these folks raised.

Thats soooo sad Those poor pij's.

These times are so scary animals being just turned loose because their owners can't afford them any longer.
Posted 2nd August 2008, 03:30 PM
Quote:
Terry, according to Ellen, these AGSG birds are some of the ones from Arlan Galbraith and people are turning them loose to fend for themselves......I expect there will be quite a few more in the coming weeks...........and this is one of the breeds that these folks raised.
Yeah, for sure there are more! I just got about 20 of them e-mailed to me from Ellen that had come through 911 PA. I will be replying to the finders and then posting the birds on Pigeon-Talk if adoption is needed.

Incidentally, the "SG" of AGSG probably stands for Singapore where the corporation was registered .. came across that little tidbit while doing some Googling on the PKI situation.

Terry
Posted 2nd August 2008, 03:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAWhatley View Post
Yeah, for sure there are more! I just got about 20 of them e-mailed to me from Ellen that had come through 911 PA. I will be replying to the finders and then posting the birds on Pigeon-Talk if adoption is needed.

Incidentally, the "SG" of AGSG probably stands for Singapore where the corporation was registered .. came across that little tidbit while doing some Googling on the PKI situation.

Terry
AGSG stands for Arlan Galbraith Strathclyde Genetics Pigeon Farm...........I just found it accidently..........
Posted 2nd August 2008, 03:59 PM
Quote:
AGSG stands for Arlan Galbraith Strathclyde Genetics Pigeon Farm...........I just found it accidently..........
Okay! Thanks for the info, Renee! I will move all these extraneous posts to Ellen's thread rather than clutter this one up.

Terry
Posted 2nd August 2008, 04:08 PM
Just to clarify a bit .. I told Ellen to e-mail me all the found AGSG birds .. no need for anyone else to step up on this one, but assistance in finding or offering a home will be appreciated when we get to that stage.

Terry
Posted 5th August 2008, 06:21 AM
I periodically check the shelters in my area for pigeons needing homes, but they don't usually have any. I would think if these birds were from Canada, they'd be flying through Maine or New Hampshire. If any are being found up here I don't know what they are doing with them, I've been watching.
If there are any in need of a home in my area, I can take some. I unfortunately can't take alot. If any are found in my area, and you need assistance you can contact me here (pigeon talk) or e-mail me at cindasark@aol.com
Waynette
Posted 5th August 2008, 07:11 AM
Thank you Msfreebird for your offer, it is most appreciated.

Every negative event effects my ability to own my APBT, please be a responsible owner and keep your pitbull out of trouble.
Posted 7th August 2008, 04:56 PM
i currently reside in pa, have a place for a bird/birds,im a forum newbie/pet bird person(in other words not a hobbier,just enjoy the company of them)if someone would please fill me in on the AGSG birds and if they have any health issues that require extra care, if its something i can handle to help them, i'd consider giving a bird/birds a home.
i've rescued animals before,just not that many birds. i dont care if they need extra care,i'd just want to be prepared,if i'm given the chance to help with a home. thank you.
Posted 7th August 2008, 05:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by prophecy View Post
i currently reside in pa, have a place for a bird/birds,im a forum newbie/pet bird person(in other words not a hobbier,just enjoy the company of them)if someone would please fill me in on the AGSG birds and if they have any health issues that require extra care, if its something i can handle to help them, i'd consider giving a bird/birds a home.
i've rescued animals before,just not that many birds. i dont care if they need extra care,i'd just want to be prepared,if i'm given the chance to help with a home. thank you.
Here's a couple of links about this mess. We really have no way of knowing what kind of shape any of these birds would be in. We've had a couple of people post about their birds........some were in Canada.........some were here in the states..........I'm looking for the posts now....

http://www.farmanddairy.com/news/upd...goes-bankrupt/

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/ottawa/stor...eons-cull.html
Posted 7th August 2008, 05:14 PM
I'm coming up with zilch.........here's one thread that a moderator started about a bird that someone had contacted him about. I have no idea if the person who found the bird is in PA or not. You could PM SmithFamilyLoft (Warren) and asked he if knows what became of the bird. We're expecting them to be found here and there because it appears that the ones that weren't just outright killed, may have been turned loose.

http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/showthread.php?t=29157
Posted 8th August 2008, 10:32 AM
hi, we have a lost AGSG banded pigeon in our poolhouse, been there 3 days, got it out today and it came right back- we are in sherman, New York. This is a public campground, I am a camper here, not the owner- Can't catch it yet- Prophecy, Is altoona very far from sherman? Is there a possibility of adopting this little guy? I'm leaving next week and scared he won't get out or he'll try to stay in the warm poolhouse, but it will be closing for the winter in a couple weeks!
Posted 8th August 2008, 10:37 AM
ok, never mind, i saw altoona is near state college- it sounded like a closer town to me- sorry...I will wait to see if anyone can take him or tell me more about what we should do about him. He was flying with several others, but they left and he didn't. thanks for any help....

You may also search for: