Pigeon-Talk banner

'My' two orphans - update

960 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  TAWhatley 
#1 ·
Hi all,

Some of you may remember I took on board some baby 'wood pigeons' a while ago (one turned out to be a feral). They were brought into the wildlife centre at which I volunteer, and I was given the task of looking after them for a couple of days.

Despite only having them for a few brief days, I still consider them 'mine', particularly as the woody pigeon was suffering from canker and I managed to spot it and treat it, and as a result, both birds are doing very well.

The original thread is here: http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/showthread.php?t=19524

Anyway, I was a bit worried about the feral, as he was showing signs of being a little imprinted. He'd fly onto my head whenever he could, and he'd squeak constantly, so I thought he'd never grow up. However, only a week later, and he's all adult! He acts like he doesn't remember me at all, doesn't want anything to do with humans, and seems totally independant.

This is largely due to the fact that he was put in the large aviary at the centre with loads of other pigeons, and seems to have been told that he's a pigeon and not one of those human things!

So, attached is a pic of the 'new' squeaker. He doesn't squeak anymore, but I'm so proud he's grown up so quickly and not imprinted. It would have affected his release plans if he became too dependant on humans. As it is he'll be released as a normal fledged adult pigeon, and like most pidgies that get released at the centre, probably not stray far, as they all know where the food is!

Also attached is a picture of the head of the wood pigeon - he was also put in the large aviary, and was able to fly around quite a bit. Unfortunately it seems he wasn't able to stop very well! He banged his head into the sides of the cage, and did himself a bit of a head injury. It looks bad but I've been assured it's not a problem, and he seems ok. He's been brought back into the hospital unit and put back in his cage for observation. Wood pigeons mature slower than ferals, so I guess he needs a bit more time maturing before we put him back in the aviary :) Silly Pidge!

Attachments

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.