Pigeon-Talk banner

Moxidectin

19K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Lovebirds 
#1 ·
Do we have retailers of this product here in USA?

MOXIDECTIN - Product Review

By Dr Colin Walker BSc, BVSc, MRCVS, MACVSc (Avian health)

Moxidectin is regarded as the bird wormer of choice by most veterinarians. It is effective against roundworm, hairworm and any external parasites that feed off body fluids (i.e. mites, pigeon flies). It can be used during moulting, racing and breeding and can either be given in its concentrated form directly into the throat or alternatively diluted into the drinking water. It is also well absorbed through the skin and can therefore be applied topically, which is convenient for small birds such as canaries and budgerigars. The drug has a wide safety margin and birds can be fed and watered normally during its use.

Often how products work and how they were developed is really interesting. Moxidectin is no exception. There is a group of chemicals called macrocyclic lactones. Within this group are two sub-groups. One group is the avermectins. This includes ivermectin, which most fanciers would be familiar with. The other group is the milbemycins. The milbemycin group only contains two drugs, namely milbemycin and moxidectin.

Incredibly, ivermectin was originally isolated from the fermentative broth of a fungus called Streptomyces avermitilus. Researchers having found such a useful drug in one type of Streptomyces kept their eyes open for further species that might yield even more useful drugs. Eventually another was found in, of all places, a golf course in northern Victoria and it was from this that moxidectin was isolated.

Both ivermectin and moxidectin work by stimulating the release of an enzyme called GABA. GABA is a neurotransmission inhibitor. This means that it interferes with the normal transmission of a nervous impulse along a nerve. In roundworms and hairworms, ivermectin does this at the junction between the central (i.e. spine) and peripheral nerves, while in insects it exerts this effect at what is called the neuromuscular junction (i.e. the gap between the end of the peripheral nerves and the muscles). The result is that the parasite is paralyzed and dies. Moxidectin also acts at these two sites but at two further sites as well. Both drugs are metabolized by the liver, but moxidectin to a lesser extent, making it safer to use in birds with underlying liver problems such as Chlamydia, Salmonella or Herpes virus. When moxidectin and ivermectin are compared, moxidectin is more potent and is also more soluble in fat (i.e. lipophilic), which means that it is more persistent in the body, exerting its effect for longer. It is because of these reasons that moxidectin is often preferred over ivermectin.

Although older wormers have their use at times, each has problems. These include piperazine, (drug resistance, decreased worm clearance), fenbendazole (causes fret marks on feathers if used during moulting) and levamisole (vomiting and worm resistance). Moxidectin has none of these side effects.

kalapati
San Diego
http://loftdekalapati.mypets.ws:81/Jview.htm

See less See more
#5 ·
thus anybody know where i could buy this product(moxidectin),,, i really have a problem on external blood sucking parasite big time... one of my friend has this IVOMEC drench.. i just wannaa ask before i used it.... thus it really works,it a 3 tbl.. spoon to a gallon of water...its not injection....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: thaanks

#6 ·
#8 · (Edited)
Moxydectin Plus

Ordered some from Siegel's last year, took a month to get here (hand-printed label overlapped the box somewhat, labeled "pigeon vitamins"). Used U.S. Postal normal shipping, otherwise would have cost over $100, triple or so the cost of the med.

Can't get it in Europe (specifically Germany, Belgium, and UK, that I know of) except through vets. Retailer here of pet foods and supplies and other pigeon supplies complained that he can't get it, can't stock it.

I applied it in individual doses to several of my rescues (street pigeons), just in case, to avoid complications. Cheaper that a vet visit "after the fact."

I keep it in fridge. Worth its weight in gold to me if it would be needed.

I can't recommend or not recommend it's use, or recommend any alternative. Don't know if my feral rescues had internal or external blood-sucking parasites or tapeworms, so can't speak from experience. I will let others argue the pro's and con's of various treatments. I liked having it available because of the expense of vet visits, limited income, and the alternative of watching a bird die from something unknown. It seems most of my rescues happen on a week-end, when vets experienced with pigeons are hard to come by.

Larry

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.