Pigeon-Talk banner

2011 2nd Annual Pigeon-Talk Classic

221K views 3K replies 80 participants last post by  Flapdoodle 
#1 ·
I hope the polls were not too frustrating. The idea behind them was mainly to see about how many people were thinking about participating as well as get some feed back. I didn’t intend for the group to necessarily decide what to do. It looks like we could have around 50 members participate, which is great. I know life happens and don’t know if we will get that many, but if we do great.

As far as the polls this is what I am thinking. No auction, no buy back, but I am not going to be able to do it for free. As was mentioned in one of the posts I will be saving a ton of time and money not having breeders and the work associated with them. I also do not have an old bird team. 100% of my time and $ I have to allocate to pigeons will be spent on the young bird team. With the exception of a pair of white birds, I have 0 pigeons. The reason I am going this route and just fly others birds to save time for the other important things in my life.

I have two options, #1 Go the club route or #2 the forum route. The guys in my club are interested in having me fly their birds. It would be cool to do this same thing at the club level we did here last year. Each guy sends a team of four. Pool the birds each week. I would not have to post anything anywhere. The guys can just look at the results each week. There is no way I would collect a fee for doing this nor do I think they would pay. Out of the two options going the club route would be a lot easier. No videos, posting updates, messing around at the post office picking up and shipping birds, or the stress of having to report lost or sick birds in the forum.

I think it is fun on the forum. Like I said before I want to do it. I enjoy the videos, stuff like the pretty pigeon show, but it is a lot of extra work.

Here is what I am able to do next year:

• Two bird limit per breeder, $20 dollar per two bird team, nonrefundable, no replacements.
  • Have birds shipped to me around 30 days old.
  • Birds accepted anytime the weeks of March 21, 28, April 4, or 11.
  • You pay to ship the birds to/from my loft, If money to ship the birds back is not received within two weeks after the last race the bird becomes my property.
  • The winner of the Pigeon Talk Classic will be the bird who scores the most points in the combine for the season.
  • The entry cap is going to be 50 two bird teams.

The $20 will be sent with the birds or sent prior to that to secure your spot. I am going to build a new loft. I will not accept any money until the loft is complete.

We have a couple junior members that want to participate in 2011. A few generous donations that have not been made yet will allow those junior members to participate for free. If you are interested in donating or are a junior member wishing to participate send me a PM.

I will throw this out there one last time. If anyone else is interested in hosting this year shoot me a PM and I will retract this post and fly club birds.

You should start to see some loft construction photos around the holidays. Any questions post away… This will be a lot of fun.

See less See more
#123 · (Edited)
As long as the load is not over 14', he is OK. The standard is 4 1/2' on the height of the trailer. If the loft is 9 1/2' or lower in height, he is OK. You are right. I forgot about the overhang of the roof structure. If you are over 102" wide, you will need a permit. I forgot about the overhang of the roof. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

#124 ·
As long as the load is not over 14', he is OK. The standard is 4 1/2' on the height of the trailer. If the loft is 9 1/2' or lower in height, he is OK.
Don't ya'll think he needs to get it on a trailer before we start worrying about a little old permit.

#127 ·
Moving

Tom, I don't see your comments on others comments. I do a lot of remodeling and recycling of wood and know all to well it takes time (not hrd) but time to take things apart, pull nails and reassemble. If you lived near by, I have two old mobile home beams with the axles, I would pull them underneath the loft and reattach the axles after jacking. Of course I also have the hitch and portable welder to cross brace for the move. this could be pulled with a dually diesel pickup, maybe less. As I said if you lived here, since you don't you might try checking out a house mover or somebody similar, you don't need a crane and a flat bed even though it would work. I also have Amish communities near me, I bet if I stopped in and talked with them they would pull it with horses. >Kevin

#132 ·
Looks like I'm 49th. Don't know how I missed this thread. I blinked and this thread had so many pages I thought it was one of the other threads where everyone was debating and I didn't bother looking. Glad to hear this is a go and look forward to sending something. I'm still testing breeding combinations so this will be helpful in addition to being fun.

#135 ·
You can still sign up until the middle of December and he'll be doing a lottery to see who get in or not. I was on the fence if I would send birds or not so I figured I wouldn't sign up until last min if he still needed birds to fill the loft. I didn't want take sombody elses spot because I know some ppl are really looking foward to this and really want to fly and I don't want sombody else to miss out on somthing they will enjoy more then I would. I rather fly my birds here for myself I enjoy flying my birds and doing good in races myself more then having sombody else doing good with my bird.

#154 ·
My intention was to let anyone sign up that wants to participate until Dec 18. If we have 50 people sign up, those 50 get the spots. If we have more then that, say 60, I grandfather in those that participated this year (I highlighted them yellow on the sheet. If I missed someone let me know). The remaining spots will go via a raffle or lottery. Anyone that signed up that did not get a spot would be on a wait list. Added to that wait list would be any that signed up after Dec 18th. If people are not able to use their spot and do not want to sponsor local birds we can offer their spot to the first on the wait list.

I hope that makes sense:confused:. Rather then do it first come first serve, I wanted it to be fair for everyone. Both those that live in the forum and those that only visit occasionally. :)

#158 ·
No problem First To Hatch maybe next time:). I did want to point out the birds that are "leeched" from someone else are actually my way of giving back to a couple of local guys that help me out. They want to test their birds in a one loft type situation. I have three guys here local that for sure will have two birds each in the loft. They give them to me, I let someone here from the forum sponsor them, after the race they (the sponsor) can decide what to do with their birds.

#159 ·
No problem First To Hatch maybe next time. I did want to point out the birds that are "leeched" from someone else are actually my way of giving back to a couple of local guys that help me out. They want to test their birds in a one loft type situation. I have three guys here local that for sure will have two birds each in the loft. They give them to me, I let someone here from the forum sponsor them, after the race they (the sponsor) can decide what to do with their birds

I don't think that is being a leech, its flap getting to help his club members difine the quality of there birds. It would be a real good test if Mr. Smith would let his wife send birds.
Dave

#166 ·
My guess is that out of the first fifty initial signees, 12 or so will end up not participating.

That always happens. Life has a way of getting in the way of pigeon racing.

So, even though there are over fifty signed up right now. If you want to participate, SIGN UP. You have a good chance of being able to "get in". For twenty bucks, where else can you have this much fun for 8 weeks?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.