Pigeon-Talk banner

Just Hatched - Doves

7K views 46 replies 11 participants last post by  Jeannine 
#1 ·

I have three new babies! Now to figure out who's who's. Two females: Edel (white) & Truffles (blond) live in the cage with Latte (ivory/blond) - I have seen Latte mate with Edel, but never with Truffles...and I can usually tell the difference between Edel & Truffles eggs. Well this time Im not so sure. I took what I thought to be Edel's eggs out and gave them to foster sitters, one egg got broken. Then Edel laid 2 more eggs. All three hatched within hours of each other. The fostered egg was the last to hatch (he is the fuzzy yellow one next to Edel in the photo), I found him this morning . He looks very typical of all of Edel's past hatchlings; dark eyes, bill stripe, fuzzy yellow down (typical blond color). The other two look quite different than any of the other hatchlings I have seen. They have very spars yellow fuz, and look very pink - light eyes, no bill stripe...could they be white? or do white doves only have white fuzzy down?
time will tell...but I am very excited to see what the newcomers turn into.
I tried to mate Edel with an Orange Pearled, but she did not fancy him one bit...if the newbies turn out Orange Ill know it was all an act!

All three are in with Edel, Truffles and Latte - the foster egg sitters are young birds, after the egg hatched they did not sit on the hatchling.

See less See more
#29 · (Edited)
Beautiful color...it does look like a Peach. This would mean that the Orange father carries Rosy...or he may be a Rosy Orange. The Rosy gene is recessive. Both parents have to carry it to get a Peach baby. You said the mother is a Peach...sooo... this is possibly a Peach baby.:)

Orange and Peach babies look very similar. You will be able to tell when it gets its' neck ring. Dark smokey gray for a Peach...and silvery gray or white for an Orange.
Very cute!

Dawn

#30 ·
Cool, thanks - I'm still trying to get a handle on the genetics thing.
I know Peach = Blond x Rosy
I was told that the Momma Peach's dad was a Tangerine I had (rip). - He was super dark or bright and he must have carried Rosy - and not just Tangerine.

Flux's dad is what I think is an Orange Pearl; and the prior owner said he is father to a White that I have...
The dad may be an Orange Pearled Rosy split: Blond(dwB) White(dw)
and little Flux would be a Peach??
What about the 'grizling' in his flights - or is he too young to tell yet?

#32 ·
Hey Jeannine...it sounds like you are getting a good grasp on genetics. It was confusing for me at first too...then one day the light bulb went on!

If the dad is Rosy Orange Pearled (Blond Rosy Tangerine Pearled) that carries White (dB//dw ry//ry Ta//Ta)...mated to a Peach (Blond Rosy...dB// ry//ry).
The results would be no Peach offspring)...
Rosy Orange (Blond Rosy Tangerine)...males and females
Rosy Pink (White Rosy Tangerine)...females

If the dad is an Orange Pearled (Blond Tangerine Pearled) that carries White and Rosy (dB//dw ry// Ta//Ta)...mated to a Peach (dB// ry//ry).
The results would be no Peach offspring...
Orange (Blond Tangerine)...males and females
Pink (White Tangerine)...females

Are you sure the dad is pearled? Can you post a picture? If he is Orange...then you can get Peach offspring.

If the dad is a Rosy Orange (Blond Rosy Tangerine) that carries White (dB//dw ry//ry Ta//+)...mated to a Peach (dB// ry//ry).
The results would be...
Peach (Blond Rosy)...males and females
White Rosy...females

Or...if the dad is an Orange that carries White and Rosy (dB//dw ry// Ta//+)...mated to a Peach (dB// ry//ry).
The results would be...
Orange (Blond Tangerine)...males and females
Peach (Blond Rosy)...males and females
Blond...males and females
Pink...females
White Rosy...females
White...females

The Rosy Tangerine (ry//ry Ta//+) has a violet colored head and breast. Rosy is part of its' genetic makeup.
http://www.internationaldovesociety.com/RNColorPics/tangerine.htm

The Tangerine (Ta//+ and Ta//Ta) doesn't have the Rosy gene in its' genetic makeup...resulting in the lack of a violet colored head and breast...or showing very little violet color on the breast.
http://www.internationaldovesociety.com/RNColorPics/tangerine1.htm

Flux is really too young yet to tell for sure if he is an Orange or a Peach. But the grizzling you are talking about (like whitish color mixed in its' flights?) usually is on the flights of a Peach.
Also...is its' tail bar showing yet? It will be dark on a Peach and silvery color on an Orange.

Dawn

#33 ·
Oh thanks for the lesson!!! That's great info :)
Well I had a Tangerine Rosy he was the dad of the Peach - He was super bright vivid purple chest and orange - but would have to have Rosy to produce a Peach baby.
As for the Orange Pearled guy, the prior owner called him tangerine pied...but hes not either. He is very very light orange with white neck ring. I thought he could be a Sunkissed, or Light Ash - but he doesn't quite fit.
He looks like he has the chest of an Orange Neck, but the back of an Orange Pearled.
Reference colors: http://www.dovepage.com/species/domestic/Ringneck/ringneckcolorlist.html

He looks a bit 'weathered' and is missing a few feathers, this is when I first got him (them). but you can see his feathers are white grizled with orange tips.
(the White is not an albino).
That's my Tangerine (rip), father to the Peach on the pink dish.

Little Flux's tail to too small to show any tail bar yet, but has a really dark black-ish eye.

#34 ·
Your Rosy Tangerine was beautiful! Nice big white neck ring. He looks like he had a few white feathers on his back and wings which would make him a Rosy Tangerine Minimal Pearled? It hard to tell, by the picture, what the Orange Pearled looks like. Do you have a more recent pic of him with all his feathers?
He is definitely not an Orange Neck...they have a white body, wings, and tail.

Dawn

#35 ·
Oh I loved my Rosy Tangerine - he was stunning, and sweet. Sadly apparently he was a 'grandpa' that the prior owner neglected to tell me until after he passed. I really wanted to mate him, but his time with me was too short.
With the Peach being his daughter is there any way to 'bring him back' so-to-speak; mate her with what to get a Rosy Tangerine like him.

I'm charging my camera so Ill try to get a good photo of the Orange in question. He is very light - almost 'yellow' compared to the Peach.

#38 · (Edited)
He's having a little molt, so there are a few feathers missing still, he looks a lot better then he did when I got him - no bald spots anymore, poor picked on fella. OK Orange it is, I though the Pearl because of the amount of white on his back, and his lightness.
Thanks! :)

oooh that may explain why my 'blond' boys look more like ivory...their mom is white.

#43 ·
i know its been a while since i posted a photo of him...his color is coming in slllllooooooowwwww!!!! its like watching paint dry!!!! the blonds and whites were easy, but Flux was more exciting to watch to see what s/he would turn into!
her tail feathers are still short, but you can see the gray tail bar.
Now to wait and see if he is a she. :)

#44 · (Edited)
#45 ·
Flux's tail feathers are still a little short...but they look like the peach's in the photo link you sent. - solid not splotchy, if that makes any seance. I did grab the dad, GT, the orange and he had very little tail bar markings, and they looked splotchy but more tea-stained than silver.

I also did the grab and flip, lol, to a white who may be a pink...she has no tail bar markings. She is looking a tinge off from white; I was told that she was the daughter of GT, the orange...is that possible?

#47 ·
Riddle me this...

Ok, lets see...well the two white babies are not identical, one has a faint ring around his neck, it is very light but you can see it, the other is all white. hummmmmm.
and the third (not related) white may very well be a pink - Pixie has a white ring around her neck which is stark white where as the rest of her head/neck/back is a warm color, light blush, but not creamy ivory.

Flux is having a molt...looking a bit shabby, but still cute, maybe because it is darker in the room now that the sun has gone down, but he looks darker orange....

Maybe its just because Midge/Mitch Pigeon has been living out of his cage for the past few weeks in the sun room and Im used to a big blob of stark white in my face - but I am noticing the subtle colorings on the 'whites'.
or everybody needs a bath!!!!

Midge/Mitch dosen't like the other pigeon... :( I tried to let the Roller out to fly around the sun-room but Midge/Mitch attacked! Roller is fine and back to his living quarters with the two doves. I got a hold of Midge/Mitch and gave him a stern talking to about being nice to others. He is fine as long as everybody else is their cages, he'll pop over to say a friendly hello to everybody. I don't get it, I have an anti-social-schizophrenic-pigeon, but he is fine with dogs and cats???? When he was caged he did try to attack the cats a few times when they got close to his cage (cats loved to sleep on top of his cage).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.