Pigeon-Talk banner
2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  peter 
#1 ·
Hi all! I have a roller pigeon who laid a egg in the wrong place, and I put it (the egg) in a empty nest. My pair of homers found it, and started setting on it. The homer hen laid 2 eggs in the nest with the roller egg. What kind, if any problems am I going to encounter with this situation? Any feedback is appreciated. P.S. they are setting on all three eggs,Benny sets all day, and Barby takes over at night.

------------------
~~~John W. a.k.a. billyhill~~~

See less See more
#5 ·
Your pigeon parents may be successful hatching the three eggs. I know they will progably try. The question will be if they can do it, and what toll it will take on them? It will be hard on them, and the baby squabs too, and they will need a good rest afterwards. There is a reason they lay only two eggs. Passenger pigeons would lay only one egg. Nature has its own ways. Best to not interfere.

#8 ·
Ok Peter, I took out the smallest egg, and held it up to the light, it was "empty" after 5 days of incubation. I ditched it. I just hope I did'nt put the parents off from the nest by removing that egg. What's your thoughts on that?

------------------
~~~John W. a.k.a. billyhill~~~

#10 ·
Hey, billyhill
Your parents should not quit sitting on them just because you handle them. I handle my eggs all the time when they lay the first one i mark it with a marker so that i know which one is which in my records. One very good thing is to keep records of your birds. You can buy a record book at www.globalpigeon.com/main.html for about a dollar also if your parents do not have bands you can put snap on numbered bands on these. For your young babiesget some seamless year bands that you slip on once the babies are about one week old these band connot come of once babies a grown and therefore will always be banded.

------------------
peter

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.