Pigeon-Talk banner
2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  lukekerttu 
#1 ·
Help!!! I have rescued two baby pigeons. They are about 1 1/2 weeks old. Few feathers, mostly yellow fuzz. I've been feeding them oatmeal soaked in whole milk and the seem to like it. I have had them for 5 days now and they have been growing and getting more feathers. I have now idea what to feed these birds, how often or how much. I also have now clue if they are male or female, is there a way to tell? I could use some advise. I really want these guys to live. By the way they have been named "Jack and Jill" by my 10 year old

#2 ·
well congrats you added two new family members well i'm not sure about the food but in 5 weeks they should look like normal pigeons and about food ask ludus54 or raynjudy or bigbird or one eye or ask em all they all helped me alot hope everything works out with the birds

------------------
luke

#3 ·
Hi, There!

I'm sending you three things via email:

1) Lucky In Love, a true story by Carl Gulledge, tells all about raising a baby pigeon!

2) Help sheets on caring for pigeons young and old.

3) Information about pigeons in general.

Watch your email!

--Ray

PS. Good Luck and welcome to Pigeon Talk!

[This message has been edited by raynjudy (edited 04-16-2001).]

[This message has been edited by raynjudy (edited 04-16-2001).]

#5 ·
Mom...

I know how desperate you must feel, I was in your exact position a year ago, but I had to learn to fly by the seat of my pants, ( I had no computer at the time, it would have been of great help)

I am by no stretch of the imagination an expert, I can only tell you what worked for me and Dinky. I used a baby bird formula, it is found in most any pet stores. The label read to have an array of vitamins and nutrients and she took to it nicely. Are they eating out of the dish on their own? or are you having to feed them? My thoughts would be that they definitely need more in their diet that oatmeal and milk can't give them. Check out your local pet or feed store for the formula.

As far a sexing them? I had the same problem and didn't know until Dinky was about 4-5 months old and 'she' laid eggs. She had some of the same traits as both male and female (from the descriptions in the Pigeon book I purchased) so I was pleasantly suprised when we found out that 'she' was for sure a 'she'.

It takes a lot of time, dedication and love, but the results that you achieve in the end are so well worth it. Pigeons are such beautiful creatures, intelligent, brave, devoted as parents and mates.

Thank you for having such a kind heart and taking the time to care about these two helpless critters, good luck to you and happy fostering
I am sure that Ray and Judy and Bigbird and many of the others will give you more knowledgeable advice.

btw...Jack and Jill are cute names, we have two dogs that are sisters(we call them the twins) that are named Sugar and Spice.

#8 ·
Hello all,

First let me thank each of you for all the wonderful help you have given me. Jack and Jill are coming along just fine. I purchased pigeon seed and they refused to eat it. I even tried grinding it up in my coffee grinder and adding water to it to make it mushy....they wanted no part of that, so I am still feeding them oatmeal and whole milk but am adding bird vitamins to it. They are really growing and getting feathers and everything. They perk up as soon as they see me enter the room. It's really kinda neat. I think I have them spoiled though. They won't eat out of a bowl unless I have them on my lap!!! But oh-well if that's what it takes I can do it. I am going to have my dad make a pigeon coop for me. Any suggestions?
Again thanx for all your help you guys are GREAT.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.