King Caravan, Spring 2009! - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeon Daily > Adoption Forum for Pigeons

Posted 12th January 2009, 01:27 PM
Exclamation

Message to Pij Lovers that Breed

Hello-

I know a lot of you have birds that lay eggs and raise babies each year and I ENVY you that opportunity.

As a rescuer, I'm on the other end of the spectrum.

I want to ask that in 2009, you consider replacing ONE clutch with fake eggs and taking in a rescued pigeon or 2 in place of raising those new (adorable, irresistable, kissable!) babies.

They don't have to be my rescued kings... there are LOTS of at risk pij out there that need homes.

Thank you for considering it.

Very sincerely,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 12th January 2009, 02:02 PM
What a great suggestion...there are some really beautiful birds out there to be adopted from rehabbers and shelters.
Posted 12th January 2009, 02:27 PM
Elizabeth...I totally argree. Thanks for posting it and I hope others will act upon your suggestion.

If all the beasts were
gone, men would die
from great loneliness of
spirit, for whatever
happens to the beasts
also happens to the man.
Seattle 1736-1866

Another Life, Gone To The Birds!

DO NO HARM

Member, International Wildlife Rehabilitation Council

sasha008
Posted 12th January 2009, 05:43 PM
That's a very good idea, not just for pigeons but for dogs, cats, what have you. Save a life and adopt a pet! There are pigeons needing homes all over, you can find some on this site and maybe your local shelter. Petfinder always has some listed as well as doves. Look at these beauties!

Pacifica, CA (one of the many Micacoo birds, gorgeous color!)
http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/dis...petid=12731350

Cheboygan, MI
http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/dis...petid=12758021

Eau Claire, WI (this bird is listed as 19 years old!!!)
http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/dis...petid=12734172

Vancouver, BC
http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/dis...petid=12693646

Fairport, NY
http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/dis...petid=12782180

Christmas, FL
http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/dis...petid=12743209
Posted 12th January 2009, 08:10 PM
This is a lovely idea, Elizabeth, and I hope some of our members will take it to heart. I know that the racing and show bird fanciers would not be too keen on taking in a needy feral, but there are plenty of racers and show birds out there looking for homes including your beloved Kings. For those that breed show birds that cannot rear their own young, ferals make great pumpers. My friend, Bart, used feral pumpers for years for some of his fancy breeds.

I do not allow many babies to happen here for the very reason that there are so many birds that need to find a home. Once in awhile, however, I just can't help myself, and a baby or two is hatched here.

Terry

Posted 12th January 2009, 08:52 PM
If I knew where to rescue them, I would. I am about 45 minutes south of Kansas City Missouri.
Being retired with too much time on my hands, I would love to get involved. How do I start?
Posted 12th January 2009, 09:30 PM
Bless your heart, Uncle Buck and be careful what you wish for!

I don't know about your area but I bet it's a lot like mine (perhaps with fewer kings though if you don't have a big Chinese community).

I'd suggest searching for pigeons needing homes on www.craigslist.org (Kansas City) and www.petfinder.com You can also contact your local SPCA, Humane Society, Animal Care & Control or Wildlife Rescue. All will get, at one time or another, a feral or fancy pij that can't be released and, without a ready rescuer, will be destroyed.

And/or just posting here in the Adoption Forum. There are LOTS of birds without homes and your be willing to help will make ALL the difference to that bird.

Everybody- think about your FAVORITE pigeon. Now imagine that bird got lost or injured or just didn't have a home any longer- wouldn't you want your bird to be given a safe, loving home? EVERY SINGLE RESCUE PIGEON I HAVE EVER MET HAS BEEN INCREDIBLE IN IT'S OWN WAY. Some are warm and affectionate like Willow and Tank and Art and Bean. Some are fiercely indepenent and proud like Louie and Sparks and Alejandra and Doll. They are ALL special and many are suffering because they've got no place to be, no home to go to.

Right now there are 10 nameless kings at SF ACC. I don't know who they are but I have no doubt, each of them is somebody special.
Posted 12th January 2009, 10:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBuck View Post
If I knew where to rescue them, I would. I am about 45 minutes south of Kansas City Missouri.
Being retired with too much time on my hands, I would love to get involved. How do I start?
Just watch our Adoption Forum for a start .. also, give me permission to post your information here: http://www.pigeon-life.net/prd.htm if you care to. You won't get overwhelmed with birds, but at least you'll be out there as a resource.

Terry

Posted 13th January 2009, 07:00 AM
I think that is a wonderful idea. I hope more will do this.
Posted 13th January 2009, 09:57 AM
Post my name there. Like I said, I am more than willing to help.
Posted 13th January 2009, 12:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBuck View Post

Hi UncleBuck - first off, I love your user name! For some reason, every time I see it I get a smile on my face because it is so friendly-sounding.

If you don't mind rescuing ferals, local veterinarians are a wonderful resource. You can call around and give them your name. Also, your state wildlife commission or department probably has a list of people willing to take in birds. You can have your name added to the list for pigeons only. They usually require paperwork but it is a pretty simple process. If you wanted to pursue rehabilitating songbirds, you would need a federal license for all of them except house sparrows, starlings and I think there is one more but I'm drawing a blank on that. Of course, pigeons do not require a federal license. Mores the pity on that!

Federal licenses are not very hard to get, just paperwork and time involved. We did both songbirds and pigeons for several years but finally had to stop with the songbirds - getting too old to handle both!

Like Elizabeth said, pigeons come in all varieties and personalities. Ferals are so very sweet, can be cantankerous, mischievous and wonderful!

As a rehabber, you may get in show birds and/or homers. We have wound up with some beautiful birds like our Lucas who is an English Carrier, or our darling Katrina who is some type of roller, we think. We have also taken in NY Flying Flights (2 of them), numerous solid whites that include a couple of Kings.

I could go on and on (as most members know ) about how much we love taking care of pigeons but I must warn you that it has its downside too. Losses are inevitable and no matter how many minutes, hours, or days you have one who is very, very sick, your heart just breaks when you lose one. We have to face that more than most people and it really sucks!
Posted 13th January 2009, 06:08 PM
Elizabeth,
Here I am in Georgia and can't find a single pigeon in any of our rescue groups or County animal shelters. I've tons of space but no birds to help.
I wish I had the money to have people ship them to me.
Randy
Posted 14th January 2009, 02:48 PM

rescue rules!

hey you guys - as a person that inadvertently ended up with one pigeon - trooper the miracle bird - and then another one on purpose -freya, america's next top pigeon model -
i just want to say i think this is a brilliant brilliant idea.

i've been involved in greyhound rescue for years and years, and if everybody took one small step like this, whether with dogs, cats, pigeons or rabbits, it could make a HUGE difference!

elizabeth rules, and i wish i was closer to her to help. and i check petfinder every week - what's one more pigeon, right??

i also run around singing the praises of my two grey kids to anyone who will listen - willingly or not....
Posted 18th January 2009, 10:18 AM

Picture of homeless squeakers

Hello-

Here's what the need for rescue looks like. These are 3 of the 10 kings at SF ACC.

Last edited by Elizabethy; 10th April 2009 at 11:33 AM..
Posted 18th January 2009, 10:44 AM
why??? why did i look??? my heart is just breaking for them!!!

i would take one in a heartbeat if i wasn't on the other side of the country!!!

Tags
adopt, king pigeons, rescue, transport