This Guy Is Ruining My LIfe! Want to take him on? - Page 2 - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeon Daily > Adoption Forum for Pigeons

Posted 11th October 2007, 05:36 AM
I loved your story. Quite funny.
I started out with one pigeon, then it was two and now I don't count them anymore. I gave them one room of my apartment to fly free in there, and they also have cages, where they nest, eat and sleep. It is a lot of work but I adore each and one of them and I don't mind the three hours a day cleaning.
I think it would work well for both of you to keep him in a cage and give him some time out to roam. For when he's out you can purchase the pigeon "diaper" - no more poop on the carpet and cleaning a cage shouldn't be a big deal.

If it doesn't work out, we do have a member in Belgium who has pigeons and loves them dearly and takes great care of all her rescues. This is the closest member we have to you. I will send her an email.

Reti
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 11th October 2007, 05:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reti View Post
I loved your story. Quite funny.
I started out with one pigeon, then it was two and now I don't count them anymore. I gave them one room of my apartment to fly free in there, and they also have cages, where they nest, eat and sleep. It is a lot of work but I adore each and one of them and I don't mind the three hours a day cleaning.
I think it would work well for both of you to keep him in a cage and give him some time out to roam. For when he's out you can purchase the pigeon "diaper" - no more poop on the carpet and cleaning a cage shouldn't be a big deal.

If it doesn't work out, we do have a member in Belgium who has pigeons and loves them dearly and takes great care of all her rescues. This is the closest member we have to you. I will send her an email.

Reti

Thank you very much, Reti!

I think that everyone can understand that I really am attached to this bird and would only give him up as the very last resort: I will try the idea of caging him for part of the day, as well as the pigeon diapers.

If the person in Belgium wishes to get in contact with me (or if he/she prefers that I make the contact) I'd certainly be interested, in the event that I can't resolve the situation by trying all the other options.

Best regards,

Jonathan
Posted 11th October 2007, 05:03 PM
I do hope it works out as it seems this sweet bird is in love with you too.
I haven't heard from Myriam in Belgium yet, but I am sure she will be on soon.

Reti

Posted 11th October 2007, 09:34 PM
Hi ryannon,

Oh..."Hail Brother!" I suppose..!

Get rid of the Carpet...

Get a Mop

I have a similar situation, only somewhat moreso.

Last thing every night, the two Dove Brothers come flying at full speed to the Bed, as does a little Yellow Cockatiel...they end up in the same places every time; Cockatiel on the Headboard, perching, immediately next to my head there, and, the Doves on the pillow next to my head literally, or, at most, some few inches from my head.

Sometimes a recently raised-by-me fledgling will also join and he or she would then sleep in my hand literally, as they had got used to doing from infanthood...and these then soon after fledgling-time, leave this off on their own and instead seek high perches for their night's sleep or roost.

Or, if I have any Infants or Babys, then they would sleep in Hand Nest unless i have too many, and then they sleep in a little 'Warm House' arrangement, into which I keep my hand all night long, more or less on all of them, or under most of them, or however it works out, and these are secure in there so they stay put and they do not wander out anyway for that matter, since to them, that is their Nest.

Come morning, or as may be, when I awake, these three and whoever else, are in their places, and, also, discretely, usually, two, or three free rove, pre-release Pigeons who are far too "WILD" to have anything to do with me otherwise, sheepishly are found perched on my foot, knee, hip or shoulder as I lay there...and these as you mention with yours, have soon mastered the art of accomidating my own acquired knack for s-l-o-w-l-y rolling over once in a while, as I sleep or slumber...if I even anylonger roll over at all from habit of being still or having Babys in my Hand...

My Laundry service considers me among their best and favorite customers, and, I am a good tipper.

Oye...

So, I'd say, get rid of the 'rug' or carpet, for sure...

Mild Soapy Water, with a dab o' Bleach, and some now and then casual scraping followed by Mopping for the floors...

And everyone is happy...

However...!

A nicely appointed and comfortable 'Day Cage', might be just fine, and would see, in theory, maybe 1/3rd of the poops occur 'in' a cage then, during your 8 hour time away or so...and that would be a help, I am sure..!

I also have a number of 'Floor Birds' who for one reasopn or another, are not able or interested to fly...some of these are PMV survivors who do their 'Helicoptering' of course, but limit themselves to the floor or to low perches otherwise.

Some of these insist to stop whatever they were doing if I am trying to walk by them, and, instead of merely staying still as I pass, or moving aside away from my feet, they wait till the last moment and scoot unpredictably as if intending TO get underfoot, so I have learned to walk with a floor hugging shuffle of my feet, day or night, so as to deflect the occasional near mis-hap, rather than to risk anyone actually getting under-foot.

So yes, one makes 'adjustments'...even as they do, in their ways...

Lol...

Phil
l v
Posted 11th October 2007, 10:37 PM
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryannon View Post
Thanks for the suggestions, Cynthia, but if anyone needs a mate around here, it's me

And despite the fact of temporarily having up to eight pigeons do recup/rehab time here in the past, I can't imagine living permanently with two birds: this little pooping wonder is already a handfull.

Anyway, I think he thinks I'm his mate
Hello again Jonathan...

You mentioned that your pij was a baby in July. Since your baby in not yet very old, how do you know you have a male?? Of course, IF a hen, there may be the possibility that one of these days, she will lay an egg for you...especially since all signs seem to point to her wanting YOU as her mate!

Hopefully, an egg would keep her occupied - at least for awhile - and you would just have to furnish nesting material.

Although she might not poop as often, she could poop BIG. I'm sure you have read about nesting hens and their poops elsewhere on this site...

You have made no mention of a name. DO you have a name other than possible cuss words?

Sure would be a shame to give her(?) up. We would really miss your humorous (well, to US anyway!) updates!

Do give your little one hugs and scritches

Shi

P.S. You think you have problems now? IF you had a mate, you would have ONE JEALOUS PIJ and the fun would REALLY begin!
Posted 12th October 2007, 05:33 AM
Hi Jonathan,

Myriam has had pigeons from Paris and is familiar with the procedures, I hope she can help but I suspect that like me she could only offer a home with all the other pigeons.

Although I would like to help I think bringing him to the UK would be a no-go. For a start bringing a pet bird in the UK is difficult, you can't bring one in to transfer to another person. You can't bring non-racing pigeons in as pet birds, they are classified as poultry: http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/int-.../birds/a11.htm And stray racing pigeons returned to this country have to spend 31 days in quarantine.

But my main fear is that if he is examined or tested, which he is likely to be if he enters or tries to enter the UK as poultry or pet, they will see the PMV symptoms, find antibodies and would put him down. PMV is a notifiable disease here and I doubt that they would check to confirm that he is not still shedding the virus.

Les (A Wing and a Prayer) has been dreaming of moving to France and having an aviary for non-releasable pigeons, but nothing has been decided yet. If you decide to keep him but your circumstances change keep an eye on this forum.

Pigifan managed to move 20 pigeons, all handicapped in some way and I suspect some PMV recoveries from the UK to Greece without being challenged along the way, so movement of birds on the continent appears to be easier.

One rescue pigeon on this forum (Piu Piu) was trained to poop only on top of his cage. I haven't been able to find the post that explained how this was done, but Terry adopted him and might remember the original owner's user name.
Cynthia

Last edited by Feefo; 12th October 2007 at 05:37 AM..
Posted 12th October 2007, 11:59 AM
Phil, Mr. Squeaks, Cyro...thanks for your input, anecdotes, support and fellowship

At present, I'm making out just fine with the little guy (I do have lots of other names for him, but none are printable). The hope (or illusion) of being able to find workarounds has made me feel better about the whole situation, as has the realization of how attached I really am to him.

Is he a 'he'? I don't really know, but I wouldn't be overly surprised if he actually turns out to be a she. Quite frankly, I'm not sure they even know themselves: for several years, I had a couple living on one end of my window-sill. There was the big guy - whom I took to be the male, and a smaller partner, who... . Anyway - and I watched this routine go on for months - when they both had eaten the treats I used to leave for both of them to their fill, the big guy would make the appropriate courting noises and gestures and jump the bones of his partner.

Until the day when - as I watched in fascination and amazement - the smaller one started clucking and bowing and suddenly rushed and mounted the one that I had presumed to be the dominant male. I saw this happen once, twice, and as the days passed, again and again, until I finally gave up trying to understand which one was the male and which the female.

As I say, I'm not sure they even knew themselves, but what was sure was that they really seemed to be enjoying themselves out there. I began wondering if they weren't some sort of gay pigeon couple - or if such things even existed.

At present - right now, in fact - they're still out there, snuggled up against each other: two little feathery pervs in the Paris night... I stopped watching who was shagging who long ago. Like believing in Santa Claus or the Tooth Fairy, some times you just have face reality, get over your lost illusions, and move on....

Last edited by ryannon; 13th October 2007 at 03:38 AM..
Posted 12th October 2007, 01:59 PM
Once again, I am howling with laughter! Yes, same sexes do get together, although I would think that being "wild," you would have a male AND female. IF an egg is laid, you will KNOW that at least one IS a hen. Usually the male sits during the day and hen at night. Then, again, maybe they just like jumping each other! Hey, fun is fun, even in the pijie world!

One of our members, JerseyGeorge, wrote a humorous thread about his "Homo Bros." He had 1 hen among the males and was not planning on any more hens. These two males, Fuzzy and Baby, would start a nest and also fight with each other. To prevent this, he would take one to work with him. As far as I know, they are still at it!

So your poor pij has no name? Does he/she come to "Hey You?" I'm sure a name could be found that would fit a male or female and even be close to "cussin'!" With your writing skills, shouldn't be too hard...

Shi
& Squeaks (who wants to let you know that HE doesn't always go by his name!)
Posted 16th October 2007, 07:05 AM
Hello Jonathan
I just came home today from a holiday in Spain and read your story (Reti sent me a PM)
If you want to contact me, write me an email at [email protected]
Myriam, Pigeon Rescue Center Lapalomatriste, Belgium
Posted 18th October 2007, 08:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrpalom View Post
Hello Jonathan
I just came home today from a holiday in Spain and read your story (Reti sent me a PM)
If you want to contact me, write me an email at [email protected]
Myriam, Pigeon Rescue Center Lapalomatriste, Belgium

Thanks for replying - will do (have done so).

Tags
feral pigeon, flight suit, house pigeon, male pigeon, male pigeons, nesting material, pet bird, pet pigeon, pigeon coop, pigeon rescue, racing pigeon, young bird