Birmingham Rollers Discussion - Page 2 - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Fanciers' Forums > Breeds - Information & Identification

Posted 26th January 2009, 08:39 AM
i was just reading the roller post and thought it was great, bigislerollers.

i just picked up a few rollers myself the other day, and plan on using your charts to grade my youngs this summer!

"I want to share a story with you. In return I hope you share it with another person. As a result, that person shares it with another person and so on. When one day someone tells me that same story, I will know that I have contributed to make this world a better place."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 26th January 2009, 04:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowking View Post
i was just reading the roller post and thought it was great, bigislerollers.

i just picked up a few rollers myself the other day, and plan on using your charts to grade my youngs this summer!
I'm glad you enjoyed it.
Just be careful!!! Once bitten by the roller bug there is no cure.

Hawaiian Style Rollaz ---------- Hawaii Performing Roller Club
Posted 9th April 2009, 05:02 AM

why wont they fly

This is getting a bit of a nuisance with my birmingham rollers, usualy I let them out every evning for about an hour, but for some reoson, theyve started flying on my house roof, and they just stay there for an hour, how can i stop them from going on my roof. so they can fly around the place in circles for an hour, so they can get enough exercise, plus their good to watch.lol

Posted 9th April 2009, 06:22 AM
Perhaps you are feeding them a bit too much.

Also, how often each day do they fly?

Posted 9th April 2009, 07:33 AM
usualy every day for an hour, but sometimes they dont go every day, it depends with the weather, and time lol...... Yes it may be that i feed them too much, how much should i feed them.
Posted 9th April 2009, 10:41 AM
can enybody tell me please how i can stop this from happening
Posted 9th April 2009, 11:41 AM
I would not feed them to much if you are going to fly them. I think some of the problem is your flight pen and/or loft is too big and they are getting all the exercise they need.
If you can, place them in a smaller loft the night before you plan on flying them. See if that helps. I think a lot of birds fly because they have to. You want your birds to fly because they want to. Lock'em up and see what happens.
I used to put my roller in a dark box and wait until they had been in it for about two hours before I released them. I do not know why it worked, but it did. Even some of the kit birds who did not roll very often started to break more frequently. Good luck, let us know what happens.
Posted 20th April 2009, 09:19 AM
Your birds are not disciplined. Rollers can be very naughty, remember we are the ones that wanted to cultivate them to perform for us. All they want to do is just be like any other pigeons, eat, sleep, enjoy the sun and especially sit on top of the roof.

What you need to do is starve them for a day or two. Then retrain them. Refer to the site below as it has great information on how to train them.

http://www.angelfire.com/ks/rollerpi...ininginfo.html

They are much easier to train when young, but it is not impossible to still train them. Good luck and do well.

Yellow

"I want to share a story with you. In return I hope you share it with another person. As a result, that person shares it with another person and so on. When one day someone tells me that same story, I will know that I have contributed to make this world a better place."
Posted 20th April 2009, 09:55 AM
I don't think you need to starve them.....perhaps cut back like the training says.....or also could be they are hungry and are not being fed enough and don't want to fly, I guess adjust the feed which ever way, as you know how much your feeding,,,, you could try using a flag and waving that to get them up.....
Posted 21st April 2009, 04:22 PM
theres some pictures on this site if u want to take a look www.cilgeranloft.piczo.com

Last edited by cai508; 21st April 2009 at 04:25 PM..
Posted 8th May 2009, 06:19 PM
If you still cant get them to fly, box them up and take them a block away and let them go, when they get back home bring them in and do it again. Keep increasing the distance. The birds are creatures of habit and only do what we let them get away with. Dont believe the myth that rollers have no homing instinces as I have had them return from 20 miles. Some strains and families have good homing instinces and some dont. The idea is to get them in the habit of flying for 45 min. not lounging on the roof for that time. After you get them flying you will need to use the feed can to control them. You should be able to whistle them in with just a handful of feed and then give them the rest of the ration some time later. I never want my birds to think they are getting all their feed as soon as they come in, this is a problems problem if you dont feed them enough. When you get them flying the control is in the feed can.

Last edited by Spin City USA; 8th May 2009 at 06:27 PM..
Posted 11th May 2009, 07:20 PM
Rollers fly better when they are kept in a kitbox, not flown everyday, and fed lightly. I was given an entire kit of flyers years ago by an elderly fancier that knew all about them and bred them for years. He gave me the kitbox as well with the birds. The box is 8ftx3ftx3ft and divided in two. seperate sections. Each side has perches for 16 birds. I was instructed to feed the 12 bird kit a salmon tin of hard wheat with a bit of milo a day when flying them. I always liked to fly them early in the morning and they would perform for up to a half hour, no more. You might try to identify the early roof sitters to an eliminate them from your kit, the others might stay up longer. I don't have rollers anymore, but there is a pic or two of the box in my photo album. GOOD LUCK!
Posted 12th May 2009, 03:00 PM
when i used to keep Birmingham Rollers I took advic from a few old hands. I used to purchase my pigens from the late Jim WHite of Barnsley. I was a member of the SOuth Riding club.

Anyways i learnt quickly from a few flyers that a lot of it was based on the food. One such flyer told me not to feed them more than one tablespoon of wheat a day. However I didn't go to such extremes... and I managed to hav them flying for atleast an hour or more. Give them good healthy feed. Make sure they are not hungry when you let them out. Make sure they are not full in the crop when you let them out.

Get in to the habit of giving them a full feed in the evening and let them out in the morning. Chase them up if you have to and make sure they fly. You might have to keep them in for some days if they have fattened up on depurative mixture. Basically get them in to shape and then get them fit.

Having said that I have just startd with Iranian High flyers was hoping to get them flying all day so I could let them out before I went to work and hopefully would come down in the evening after I got home from work. But I'm having trouble getting them up.

just for the info I hav a pair of B'ham rollers given to me which I am using to sit on the IHF eggs. They are from some of the top flyers in the UK.

Try to join a club meet other flyers and learn from them.

Good Luck.
Posted 15th September 2009, 05:56 AM
Hawks, falcons, and the likes is another reason for birds not wanting to fly. Birds are aware of their presence more than we do.
Posted 15th September 2009, 06:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by big2bees View Post
Hawks, falcons, and the likes is another reason for birds not wanting to fly. Birds are aware of their presence more than we do.
this thread is 4 months old.

Tags
birmingham rollers, flying pigeons, flying the birds