Fantail Discussion (All Fantail Breeds) - Page 2 - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Fanciers' Forums > Breeds - Information & Identification

Posted 25th October 2008, 02:54 PM
Yes great info., I learned alot...now if I want to go back to this info where will the sticky be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 25th October 2008, 03:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spirit wings View Post
Yes great info., I learned alot...now if I want to go back to this info where will the sticky be?
That's up to Terry and the Moderators....Gee that sounds like a good name for a comic strip.....or a rock n roll group

Last edited by risingstarfans; 25th October 2008 at 10:19 PM.. Reason: fun
Posted 25th October 2008, 05:40 PM
Risingstarfans - many thanks for this informative post. I learned a lot. I have never seen a Fantail and the idea of them walking on their tippy toes tickles me.

Posted 25th October 2008, 07:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spirit wings View Post
I just moved all the posts except for the original ones by Risingstarfans to another thread and locked the original thread. This will keep the original information free of any other posts and since it has been stickied, the original thread will always be the top thread in this forum. Hope this makes it easier to get back to the original info.

Terry

Posted 26th October 2008, 04:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAWhatley View Post
I just moved all the posts except for the original ones by Risingstarfans to another thread and locked the original thread. This will keep the original information free of any other posts and since it has been stickied, the original thread will always be the top thread in this forum. Hope this makes it easier to get back to the original info.

Terry
LOL..........I wondered how a thread about Fantails appeared to get started by me................now I know.
Posted 26th October 2008, 09:01 AM
Thank you for the great info about Fantails! My fantails cage is right outside my dining room window so I can keep a close eye on them all the time.
I printed your information to add to my binder (all pigeon info) and I've been sitting in the window watching and scrutinizing their bodies and movement ever since
I found out that I have some very nice birds! But I also found out I have a couple "not" so nice one's too
"Button" for example - Tiny, terrible tail set, too round and feet too far back. Clumsy as can be, can't get out of her own way and can't fly at all!! When one of the other birds attempts to pick on her she gets gets "frantic" starts spinning, stumbling and tripping over her own feet and they back right off! It's like they think she is a crazy woman and run away from her - lol. But she is "cute as a button". So thats how she got her name.

http://cottageontheseacoastloft.weebly.com/index.html
"In Solitude there is Strength, In Strength there is Spirit"
Posted 27th October 2008, 08:14 PM

Any Questions on Fantails???

You can contact us (re lee or myself) on this discussion topic or PT mail if you wish.
Posted 28th October 2008, 06:34 PM
That was very informative post. I enjoyed a lot the pics and the text. Thank you risingstarfans.
My question about this breed will be very back to the basics, since I m complete laic on the subject.
1. How could the very first breeders of Fantails could get those necks and heads in that position ? From your unswears about the tail i learn about the masking tape. Would that be same thing.? Were very first Fantails born with some kind of deformity.
I know that genetic manipulation back then was not possible, so how??
Nell
Posted 28th October 2008, 08:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by corvid View Post
That was very informative post. I enjoyed a lot the pics and the text. Thank you risingstarfans.
My question about this breed will be very back to the basics, since I m complete laic on the subject.
1. How could the very first breeders of Fantails could get those necks and heads in that position ? From your unswears about the tail i learn about the masking tape. Would that be same thing.? Were very first Fantails born with some kind of deformity.
I know that genetic manipulation back then was not possible, so how??
Nell
Actually I cannot answer that, since I may be old, I wasn't there. I would surmise that it was originally a balance thing that some of the early developers bred for and selective breeding did it.
Fantails have been in roughly this configuration since at least the 18th century.
I don't know about defority. there are a couple other breeds that have roughly the same body shape, without the large widespread tail, namely Mookies and Holle Croppers.
The use of Masking tape is only a training technique to straighten or correct minor faults in the tail. Very often the very best don't need taping.
Posted 29th October 2008, 03:33 PM
Considering the early fantail was much different then todays fantail . At first you would have seen a much smaller tailed bird ANd as i have said The fantail at one time was called a shaker ,because it would have the shackey neck. You noitice that also in mookies. Then as the fantails were crossed ovewr to the different lines that existaed back then They were agin changed slightly.. Other breeds have been used to futher develop the fantail In body type. Even in the past say 25 years Modenas were used by some to work patterens and roundness to saddle fantails. The cultivation of fantails Is a continued process. Head set has to be bred forward and lengh of the neck has to observed to make sure you keep breeding away from faults. Just putting the birds together without an idea you in a few years would see the backward trend in you fantails. More up right head set. smaller tails legs set where the bird would not have any real dig anymore. Fantails You find say you have a really good show type cock bird That has won its share of shows BUT you have not got the hen that can share its self as a breeder. So you do not breed from the cock. You must allways offset faults And try to set qualities in fantails. To keep what you believe can take you forward. It is surprising to see some of the breeder stock birds THAT raise great show birds. Some people fail to see them as a key And get rid of them where the ttrue breeder See in them the extra need And works with them to breed that great bird. What I have been saying is The past in the begining As people raised What we call the fantail Were using the tool of an idea of what they thought the bird should look like And today that same tool is used Just Those that came before were with a vision laying the ground work Of the modern day fantial for us. . And If lucky some of todays greats will be rembered a 100 years from now For the work they did. It would be nice to see how the fantail Looks in 100 years. If it is very close to the given standard of today It will be a site to see this little bird In the walking pen showing how for thought made such a great looking bird. Because the fantail requires the work a little more then othere breeds But when put together It is that piece of art.
Posted 19th December 2008, 09:10 PM
RISINGSTARFANS,

I don't actually own any pigeons....I just look after the ferals that visit my home, but if I did own pigeons, I would probably go for fantails. I just love how they look.

Thank you so much for all your hard work in writing such an informative post for anyone that might be interested in faintails.

Linda
Posted 20th December 2008, 05:19 AM

fantails

I am happy I took the time to read this thread today, I Have learned alot about my fantails but this adds more and puts all the information in one place. I don't think I am ready to show yet but I am pretty darn close. Thank you all for the Information. >>Kevin
Posted 20th December 2008, 10:55 AM
A big Thank you from me too I have always wanted a couple of fantails but now realize they may not fit into either one of our lofts.
Posted 20th December 2008, 05:14 PM
Thank you for providing so many comparisons with "standard" pigeons for perspective, as well as for answering my questions about this elegant breed. I especially appreciate the caution about not free flying these birds! Thanks also for your comments regarding after-show care and the excellent reference section. The silkies are an intriguing variation!
Posted 22nd February 2009, 06:52 PM
Arrow

Sexing fantail pigeons

I have 4 fantails how do I tell if they are male and females the person who I got them from told they were but I've noticed that the one that is suppose to be the female also coos so I'm wondering if she's a him can someone help Me

Tags
american fantails, behavior, fantail, fantail grey, fantail pigeon, fantails, food, indian fantail, indian fantails, mating, new questions, pigeon, sexing fantail pigeons, standard