Fantail Discussion (All Fantail Breeds) - Page 3 - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Fanciers' Forums > Breeds - Information & Identification

Posted 22nd February 2009, 07:26 PM
Just observe them, the rowdiest, and pushiest will most likely be the Cocks. Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 26th February 2009, 11:27 AM

Worth a try

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fannytails View Post
I have 4 fantails how do I tell if they are male and females the person who I got them from told they were but I've noticed that the one that is suppose to be the female also coos so I'm wondering if she's a him can someone help Me
I agree with lucky 1, however I have encountered some aggressive hen's in my time. If your over feeding,or giving them too rich of a mix, hen's will tend to pair up with each other and take on some of the trait's of cock's. I suggest you cut back on ther feed (not the point of starvation).The cock bird will show himself, his sex drive outweigh's his desire for food.
Posted 26th February 2009, 03:12 PM
Hello Brumie, What would a Brit. know about Pigeons, LOL! I see you made it! Dave

Last edited by LUCKYT; 1st March 2009 at 07:15 PM..

Posted 26th February 2009, 03:57 PM

Looking For Indian Fantails

Hello every body ,am new to this post, Please help me find INDIAN FANTAILS birds THANKS
Posted 26th February 2009, 11:45 PM
Here's the club pages for them:
http://www.indianfantailclub.org/

http://www.zyworld.com/kevin~keeler/SCIFC.htm
Posted 1st March 2009, 07:23 PM
Hello Mr. Stroud, the finally let you out? Just because we took a feral from under a bridge, and taught it to fly the English channel, does not mean we do not know what we are doing!!!! LOL!
Posted 1st March 2009, 07:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brummie View Post
I agree with lucky 1, however I have encountered some aggressive hen's in my time. If your over feeding,or giving them too rich of a mix, hen's will tend to pair up with each other and take on some of the trait's of cock's. I suggest you cut back on ther feed (not the point of starvation).The cock bird will show himself, his sex drive outweigh's his desire for food.
LOL...I don't think that's the best idea.
Fannytails is a young person, brand new to Pigeons and so you must be very specific so we don't have any fatalities.
Soon enough, Fannytails will figure it out, without extreme measures.
Be patient, Fannytail. Pretend like you're waiting for a birthday gift.

If all the beasts were
gone, men would die
from great loneliness of
spirit, for whatever
happens to the beasts
also happens to the man.
Seattle 1736-1866

Another Life, Gone To The Birds!

DO NO HARM

Member, International Wildlife Rehabilitation Council
Posted 14th March 2009, 11:30 AM

Pair of Fantails/Newbie Questions

I just bought a pair of fantail pigeons last night and had a couple of questions about them. The person I bought them from didn't seem to know a lot about them, so I don't know how much to trust about what they told me. The only reason I went ahead and bought them from the lady was because they were such a cheap price, I felt it was worth the gamble. I am sorry to sound so ignorant but I am new to the pigeons but think they are beautiful birds. I got these as pets not as breeders, although I am sure that once I lean more about them I will want more.

I know there are several types of fantail pigeons, any idea on what type these are? Or what the color they are is called?

This one is suppose to be the male.

He has a simple white band on his leg with just 05 written on it. I believe that is just the band size, not the year but I could be wrong.

This one is the female.

Her band is yellow, and has the National Pigeon Association letters on it.

I know it is hard to tell the sex but does this look correct? Do I have true fantail pigeons or did I get taken for a ride?

Oh and the cages they are in are just the ones we brought them home in, we have them a nice box and run to stay in.
Thanks!
Posted 14th March 2009, 01:32 PM
hope the fantail folks will be along soon to help you out, I will give some guesses though, they may be American fantails as they have clean legs. and as far as the color I will guess bronze.??? our member Becky will like to see these, she is great with colors. as far as male and female, people usually sell in pairs so they could be a pair, you will know soon enough though if you give them a nest bowl and some pineneedles to make a nest and then you can watch their behavior. they need good pigeon mix feed and grit and pigeons like to take baths. you can offer a kitty litter pan with water in it and can add a tablespoon or so of 20 mule team borax to the water to help them stay nice and clean....good luck with them they sure a "purty".
Posted 14th March 2009, 01:51 PM
Hi and welcome to PT. Ask all the questions you want and don't feel stupid. That s what this forum is all about. You will learn alot here.
They are American Fantails (no crest on head and clean legs - no feathers)
The female looks to be a "grizzle" color. But I'm not that great with colors either, so someone better at that will be along.
Fantails are just beautiful birds to look at, and also comical to watch, BUT they cannot be let outside to "free fly". They are not good flyers and can't escape preditors. They can be housed outside in an aviary with proper housing to get out of the cold and wet weather.
I have "saddle" American Fantails. Your welcome to look thru my albums in my profile (click on screen name)

http://cottageontheseacoastloft.weebly.com/index.html
"In Solitude there is Strength, In Strength there is Spirit"

Last edited by Msfreebird; 14th March 2009 at 01:55 PM.. Reason: spelling
Posted 14th March 2009, 06:54 PM
Thank you for all the replies. It makes me feel a lot better!
Posted 19th April 2009, 02:12 AM
Smile

A useful website

This is a useful website:

www.internationaldovesociety.com

Another way (which only works if you have one male and one female...and sometimes may not for unknown reasons) is to feel the bird's pelvic bone. The wider of the two will be the female. if they both feel the same...then you probably have two of the same sex.

Oh, yeah...if your birds lay eggs you know that they're NOT male.

Good luck!
Posted 25th May 2009, 09:36 AM

Indian Fantail Behavior

Hi everyone,

I bought a bonded pair of indian fantails yesterday and i want to know what the meaning of their behavior is. i was told the sexes before i bought them. the male is grunting and lieing down while the female seems to be grooming its neck. could it be the the one that is grunting is actually the female? are these signs of mating behavior? the male seems to start kissing the female on the beak as well sometimes. all help is appreciated. what should i feed them as well? they gave me chicken feed for them, but i dont think they really like that. i was also told to buy them grit, so i went to petsmart yesterday and only found grit for cockatiels, could i just give them that instead?

Thanks,
Joseph
Posted 25th May 2009, 04:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara8190 View Post
Hi everyone,

I bought a bonded pair of indian fantails yesterday and i want to know what the meaning of their behavior is. i was told the sexes before i bought them. the male is grunting and lieing down while the female seems to be grooming its neck. could it be the the one that is grunting is actually the female? are these signs of mating behavior? the male seems to start kissing the female on the beak as well sometimes. all help is appreciated. what should i feed them as well? they gave me chicken feed for them, but i dont think they really like that. i was also told to buy them grit, so i went to petsmart yesterday and only found grit for cockatiels, could i just give them that instead?

Thanks,
Joseph
All that you described is mating behavior.
If you have a feed and grain store nearby, they should carry pigeon seed. And also pigeon grit. You should also pick up oyster shell for them.
If not, they should be able to order it for you. "Blue seal" and "Agway" have their own pigeon feed.
Cockatiel grit and chicken feed are not sufficient for pigeons.
In a pinch you can buy wild bird seed mix. They love safflower seeds and peanut hearts also.
www.foyespigeonsupply.com also has everything you could possibly need, and they ship.
BTW, welcome to pigeon talk. Stick around and you'll learn alot.

http://cottageontheseacoastloft.weebly.com/index.html
"In Solitude there is Strength, In Strength there is Spirit"
Posted 26th May 2009, 11:56 AM
Thank you so much! also, the female seems to have directed her attention to the other male, which means the bonded pair is no longer. is that possible? the problem is that the other male is an american fantail while the female is an indian fantail. can they produce viable offspring?

Tags
american fantails, behavior, fantail, fantail grey, fantail pigeon, fantails, food, indian fantail, indian fantails, mating, new questions, pigeon, sexing fantail pigeons, standard