Frillback (Lockentauben) Discussion - Page 3 - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Fanciers' Forums > Breeds - Information & Identification

Posted 18th April 2009, 09:33 AM
nice update, he is a bit small, but I think when they start packing his crop full of seed they start to grow quicker, they do seem to mature slower than the homers, my two squabies are 25 days old today and still have not ventured out of their nest box, I may sit them in the sunshine for a bit today.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 18th April 2009, 11:53 AM
That is sure a bundle of cuteness, can't wait to see those little curly feathers coming in.

Perhaps, the building blocks for growing curly feathers takes up alot of energy and take longer to develop then standard homing pigeon feathers.

Posted 22nd April 2009, 04:30 AM
Well Romeo & Juliet were so much in love they forgot to feed their baby so my baby Frill has become the newest member of staff at my office as I have to take it to work with me to be able to handraise it.
I have had more visits a day from colleagues than I usually get. He/she is so far eating OK and is as well as taking the hand raising mix from me it will swallow small seeds it placed in it's beak. It is now 10 days old.
Will keep you all updated with the progress.

Posted 2nd May 2009, 04:53 AM
I lost my baby after hand raising it for week. Sometimes it is not meant to be. Happy to hear about the nest mate. Put some pictures up I would love to see it
Posted 2nd May 2009, 06:49 AM
I'm so sorry to hear about the baby.

Posted 3rd May 2009, 01:29 AM
Thanks everyone all for your thoughts but have some photos to remember it
Posted 3rd May 2009, 05:36 PM
So sorry to hear that it died, but you obviously did everything possible. The good thing with pigeons, though, is that they do love to breed - good luck with the next round of eggs, and hopefully Romeo and Juliet will be a little more experienced and attentive next time.
Posted 22nd October 2009, 06:38 PM

Feathered feet

Question, If you could build a loft for your frillback would you have wired floor because of the feet? My wood floor keeps their feet dirty. Also would a high gloss paint on wood walls help protect the frills? Bottom line is this, I plan to build a small loft for three pairs of frillbacks and their young. I'm thinking 4 feet wide, 5 feet high, and 2 feet deep. 4 Nest boxs to one side 2'x1'x1'. What are some things to think about when dealing with frillbacks? I posted here because it is for an only frillback loft and frillback people may want to know.

God Bless,
Tony

OK, reading it I should have Titled it, "Frillback Loft" too late to change it now.

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." Anne Frank

Last edited by Big T; 22nd October 2009 at 06:42 PM..
Posted 22nd October 2009, 06:44 PM
I'll just say this...wire floors are hard on their feet. Also easy to get a nail or toe stuck in the wire.

If all the beasts were
gone, men would die
from great loneliness of
spirit, for whatever
happens to the beasts
also happens to the man.
Seattle 1736-1866

Another Life, Gone To The Birds!

DO NO HARM

Member, International Wildlife Rehabilitation Council
Posted 22nd October 2009, 06:45 PM
Nah, you don't need wire floors. Some kind of bedding helps. Whether that be sand, shavings, cat litter, straw, or corn cob crumbles. Just anything to help absorb the moisture of the droppings. V-perches are also pretty popular with show birds because it helps keep the feet clean as well as protects the bird underneath from being bombed

"It is not only fine feathers that make fine birds." - Aesop

~Semper Fidelis~
Posted 22nd October 2009, 07:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryOfExeter View Post
Nah, you don't need wire floors. Some kind of bedding helps. Whether that be sand, shavings, cat litter, straw, or corn cob crumbles. Just anything to help absorb the moisture of the droppings. V-perches are also pretty popular with show birds because it helps keep the feet clean as well as protects the bird underneath from being bombed
Should I make sure the wall at least four inches up is wood and not wire? I have seen what wire walls do to a fantail's fan. I'm thinking a high gloss paint to make the wall slick would help protect the frills on the birds. V-perches, great idea I will do that.

I like wire floors in at least part of the loft, because of cleanup. But is the 1 inch square wire really bad for a feathered foot. I also like a wire floor one foot to the feeder and waterer to keep any poop from getting into the food or water.

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." Anne Frank
Posted 22nd October 2009, 07:57 PM
Wire sections on the floor can be good for cleanup, but you do want some solid places for them to walk. Pigeons (well, all birds) don't really like walking on wire, although the smaller it is, the better they'll cope with it and not trip over themselves. A lot of people have wire under the perches with the center of the loft solid.
I put my water out in the aviary, which has a wire bottom. Since it's up probably about a yard from the floor of the loft, with that wire, nothing really gets in the water. The feeders can be put up there as well, so that whatever they spill falls outside and not on the floor.
I've seen wire really frizz up some feathers when they get their tail or wings pushed up against it. If the walls with the perches are solid, then all should be well with that, unless they get in some crazy fights and one happens to smash another against a wire section Our old un-painted wood loft hasn't appeared to do anything to the feathers on the fantails. Although I'm sure slick paint wouldn't hurt. Plus it'd probably help the walls stay clean and the floor easier to scrape (although with painted floors, the wood isn't exposed to where it can absorb some moisture out of the droppings, so on humid days, you could possibly have a mess in there until you clean). There's pros and cons to everything

"It is not only fine feathers that make fine birds." - Aesop

~Semper Fidelis~
Posted 23rd October 2009, 04:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryOfExeter View Post
Wire sections on the floor can be good for cleanup, but you do want some solid places for them to walk. Pigeons (well, all birds) don't really like walking on wire, although the smaller it is, the better they'll cope with it and not trip over themselves. A lot of people have wire under the perches with the center of the loft solid.
I put my water out in the aviary, which has a wire bottom. Since it's up probably about a yard from the floor of the loft, with that wire, nothing really gets in the water. The feeders can be put up there as well, so that whatever they spill falls outside and not on the floor.
I've seen wire really frizz up some feathers when they get their tail or wings pushed up against it. If the walls with the perches are solid, then all should be well with that, unless they get in some crazy fights and one happens to smash another against a wire section Our old un-painted wood loft hasn't appeared to do anything to the feathers on the fantails. Although I'm sure slick paint wouldn't hurt. Plus it'd probably help the walls stay clean and the floor easier to scrape (although with painted floors, the wood isn't exposed to where it can absorb some moisture out of the droppings, so on humid days, you could possibly have a mess in there until you clean). There's pros and cons to everything
Very good points. I'll paint the walls, stain the floor (paint too slick to walk on), use one foot of wire on the ends for the food and water. Thanks for the help.

Tony

Last edited by Big T; 24th October 2009 at 06:10 AM..

Tags
frillback, frillbacks