Helmet Discussion - Page 2 - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Fanciers' Forums > Breeds - Information & Identification

Posted 11th November 2008, 05:43 PM
include me on appreciating the information...that pic of that yellow hen is just beautiful....can't wait for the other articles....this was a great idea.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 11th November 2008, 09:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spirit wings View Post
include me on appreciating the information...that pic of that yellow hen is just beautiful....can't wait for the other articles....this was a great idea.
Thank you, Spirit Wings! What breed would you like to do and when????

Terry

Posted 12th November 2008, 07:06 AM
If that is a "yellow helmet" in the last picture, it looks darker then my hen, Gracie, or it may be the light.

Here is the post with the pic...3rd picture:

http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/showpo...67&postcount=1

Here is the picture I found that looks like her color, click on the pic to enlarge:

http://www.americanhelmetassn.com/ph...FC-Champ-w.jpg

Seems like a different color, or maybe not...if that is a YELLOW helmet then Gracie is more BEIGE.

Last edited by Skyeking; 12th November 2008 at 07:11 AM..

Posted 12th November 2008, 07:10 AM
Risingstarfans,

Thank you. That was an excellent article on Helmets. I enjoyed it immensely. I'll be taking a closer look at these guys at the Pageant of Pigeons.
Margaret
Posted 12th November 2008, 07:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAWhatley View Post
Thank you, Spirit Wings! What breed would you like to do and when????

Terry
...lol....Im still a novice!....maybe in a few years I can do one on the warsaw butterfly, but Im just dreaming of getting some right now, the other breeds I have, there are many many more people with experience with those breeds than me., But I sure will read and learn from the others!
Posted 19th December 2008, 09:13 PM
Risingstarfans,

Again, another great informative post that I'm sure you spent a lot of time on to get just right for our members.

Again, just love the unusual looking breeds...I am a real sucker in that way...lol...thanks again for all your hard work.

Linda
Posted 20th December 2008, 05:42 PM
Sharp looking breed! Interesting comments about the inter-relationship between the helmet and the nun and about the loss of parenting capability with the focus on appearances. Thanks for sharing your knowledge!
Posted 6th January 2009, 12:12 AM
Those spots don't disqualify the birds, what most breeders do is pluck the miscolored feathers out. It doesn't hurt the birds one bit, as they lose their feathers all the time, as long as it is just a couple feathers that we are talking about and you aren't making bald spots. Also be sure not to pluck feathers out of their rosettes as this tends to make them disappear, which will tend to have them judged towards the lower end of the class. As far as your helmet in the picture goes her color would have to fall into the category of red, but she leaves much to be desired as she is very light and doesn't have the same even color throughout the head and tail feathers. If there is a bar in her tail, then I would say that you could call her a silver and then her color would not be as bad. Still not what is desired, but as far as silvers go, there isn't many out there that are very good. I don't have pictures of my reds to show you, but they are a rich, deep red color through the length of the feathers. Most of my birds are out of top quality breeders who show their birds at all the big shows. I have been very lucky to get the help that I have gotten and the amount of knowledge that I have learned from them is greatly appreciated. I hope that this information helps and if you have other helmet questions, if I don't know the answers, I know alot of other breeders and I'm sure I can find the answer for you.

Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trees Gray View Post
Terry,

Having a few rescued Helmets myself, I have also wondered about those spots, and am sure they must disqualify them, having compared them to the pictures of the champions. There are of course other elements to their being champions though.
On the other hand,Gracie, the helmet that I got from Pete is about as perfect as I have seen. She has all the coloration where it should be and not any out of place. She is one looker, too bad she isn't banded.

These pictures of her are from the early days, she looks even better now. Anyone care to comment on her color, she is light brown color, but I' sure someone knows the correct name for her coloring?

http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/showpo...8&postcount=67
Posted 6th January 2009, 12:43 PM
Hi Greg! Welcome to Pigeon-Talk and thank you for your informative post. I don't have any good pictures of my one lone Helmet but will try to get some in the next few days. His "red" color is pretty vibrant, but he does have quite a few spots of color where they shouldn't be.

Terry

Posted 7th February 2009, 07:51 AM
I want you to show to the Dutch Helm. This variety is bred as a highflier and also as a show-type.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT0054.JPG (53.8 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg rodehelm.jpg (6.0 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg blauwehelm.jpg (5.8 KB, 108 views)

Last edited by Dutchwitschild; 7th February 2009 at 08:02 AM..
Posted 7th February 2009, 09:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchwitschild View Post
I want you to show to the Dutch Helm. This variety is bred as a highflier and also as a show-type.
Very attractive helmets indeed! Here in the USA, we would clll them long faced, and would be welcomed into our show arenas!
Posted 9th February 2009, 09:27 PM
Those are beautiful birds! I love helmets!
Posted 16th February 2009, 05:46 PM
Thanks, for the info, they look good.

~Scott~
Posted 17th February 2009, 06:22 AM
Hi Greg,

I'm sorry I didn't see your post sooner. Thank you for sharing your knowledge and information on Helmets and on Gracie, I greatly appreciate your time spent answering my questions.

Posted 11th January 2010, 11:15 AM
Wow i have always been fond of the helmet breeds, but have never had plain heads only crested.

Tags
helmet