Helmet Discussion - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Fanciers' Forums > Breeds - Information & Identification

Posted 7th November 2008, 10:34 PM

Helmet Discussion

Thank you, Risingstarfans, for another great article! The Helmet discussion is now open!

Terry

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 7th November 2008, 10:37 PM
You know me .. I'm curious! I have a rescued Helmet who is banded and was bred here in So Cal. I am ASSuming that the tiny flecks of his brown/red color that are on his otherwise white body are either a disqualifier if entered in a show or a sure sign that a dummy like me should not even consider showing him ??
He has two spots about the size of peas that are the brown/red color where they shouldn't be.

Terry

Posted 8th November 2008, 06:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAWhatley View Post
You know me .. I'm curious! I have a rescued Helmet who is banded and was bred here in So Cal. I am ASSuming that the tiny flecks of his brown/red color that are on his otherwise white body are either a disqualifier if entered in a show or a sure sign that a dummy like me should not even consider showing him ??
He has two spots about the size of peas that are the brown/red color where they shouldn't be.

Terry
Terry,

Having a few rescued Helmets myself, I have also wondered about those spots, and am sure they must disqualify them, having compared them to the pictures of the champions. There are of course other elements to their being champions though.

On the other hand,Gracie, the helmet that I got from Pete is about as perfect as I have seen. She has all the coloration where it should be and not any out of place. She is one looker, too bad she isn't banded.

These pictures of her are from the early days, she looks even better now. Anyone care to comment on her color, she is light brown color, but I' sure someone knows the correct name for her coloring?

http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/showpo...8&postcount=67

Last edited by Skyeking; 8th November 2008 at 06:45 AM..

Posted 8th November 2008, 06:49 AM
Treesa,
You should still be able to show her. She would have to show as an old hen (or cock) and you could always place snap band with number on it, and put that info in when you submit entries.
daryl
Posted 8th November 2008, 12:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonmama View Post
Treesa,
You should still be able to show her. She would have to show as an old hen (or cock) and you could always place snap band with number on it, and put that info in when you submit entries.
daryl
Before you do that you best check with the show secretary I know that most of the big shows do not allow unbanded birds. ..GEORGE

Last edited by george simon; 11th February 2009 at 04:48 AM..
Posted 8th November 2008, 02:21 PM
I've seen unbanded birds shown at the Sturbridge show in the past, but like I said, they had to be shown either as old hen or old cock.
Daryl
LokotaLoft
Posted 8th November 2008, 06:31 PM
Treesa from what I see you bird there is considered a yellow helmit pigeon .. I rememeber the day when the only variation you could get them in was red but now I see they have red , yellow, black and blue but Im sure there are even more then that out there now with all the mutations
Posted 8th November 2008, 06:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LokotaLoft View Post
Treesa from what I see you bird there is considered a yellow helmit pigeon .. I rememeber the day when the only variation you could get them in was red but now I see they have red , yellow, black and blue but Im sure there are even more then that out there now with all the mutations
It has been almost 30 years since I last bred helmets, but we had black, blue and red and their dilutes then. Now there are a few more colors.

BTW, I was in the original club back when I was a pup.....
LokotaLoft
Posted 8th November 2008, 06:47 PM
hi rising star , I only had them in red myself way back when , I got them from my mentor who also only had them in red but was amased by the color assortment them came in over the years
Posted 8th November 2008, 07:14 PM
Exclamation

Standard

Hi ALL,I think its time to talk about the standard for Helmets. The info I present here comes from the Encyclopedia of Pigeon Standards. The first thing you must undrestand is there are 2 types of show Helmets,Medium Face, and Short Face, both of which come in two forms that is Crested and Plainhead.When it comes to color class, there are black, blue, Recessive Red, Ash Red, and their respective dilutes. They also have a class (A.O.E.C) all other established colors. I know that the NPA is currently working on a new book of standards so there may be changes. GEORGE 4 more to go

Last edited by george simon; 8th November 2008 at 07:20 PM..
Posted 9th November 2008, 12:46 AM
There is a private site on Helmets also, but you have to be a member of one of the clubs to be registered....They state that they aare working on andalusian, almond and a few other colors.

We'll see what shows up at the Pageant in a couple weeks, should be about 100 helmets there.
Posted 9th November 2008, 06:45 AM
Thank you all for your response, I appreciate it knowing more about the standard and am interested in learning even more.

Posted 9th November 2008, 11:08 AM
Most marked birds will have a fowl feather or two. Many have several You pluck the fowl feathers for a show As llong as there are not just to many to open a area.. You should see gazzi modenas before they are preped for show. A feather a feather there alot of feathers get plucked And then the birds look great marked..
Posted 9th November 2008, 05:49 PM
After reading many different questions about pigeons breeds clubs breeders in your area here are two websites everyone with pigeons ought know.First is the N.P.A. national pigeon assn. website npausa.com many links to breed clubs and state assn. Next is the Purebred Pigeon magazine covers fancy sporting birds (rollers homers flying birds ) and utilty breeds it is published everyother month and is in color website purebredpigeon.com
Posted 9th November 2008, 08:00 PM
Risingstarfans, just want to say , thank you for, like always, well written info.

Besides the general information on Helmets, I did learn something more of the value:
There is the whole another level of art , involved in creating and accomplishing ones goal.

Nell

Tags
helmet