Modena Discussion - Page 2 - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Fanciers' Forums > Breeds - Information & Identification

Posted 26th January 2009, 08:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowking View Post
...my first favorite pet was a yellow king pigeon...
Got a photo to share? Is yellow a dilution of red?

Posted 29th January 2009, 08:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerriB View Post
Got a photo to share? Is yellow a dilution of red?
sorry, it was like ten years ago. i didn't take any picture of him. he was very light yellow almost cream.

yeah yellow is a dilution of red cross with silver.

"I want to share a story with you. In return I hope you share it with another person. As a result, that person shares it with another person and so on. When one day someone tells me that same story, I will know that I have contributed to make this world a better place."
Posted 29th January 2009, 08:10 PM
I like the Gazzi! The colours are so pretty!

How much does an average Modena weigh?

Posted 29th January 2009, 08:16 PM
Thank you, it was a great and informative article. I have a few Modenas and crosses and they are neat pigeons.

Talk to me,
Coo to me,
Bow to me,
Listen to me.
And I'll teach you
To fly with me
And I will love you
Like no other....

http://picasaweb.google.com/awrats3333

21 Amazing Facts You Might Not Know About Pigeons!
Posted 19th March 2009, 12:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SueC View Post
I like the Gazzi! The colours are so pretty!

How much does an average Modena weigh?
Sorry it took me soooooo long to reply. It is that I rarely come online.

But to answer your question, I would say on average a healthy modena should weigh around 20-35 ounces. I am not 100% but I am almost positive.

"I want to share a story with you. In return I hope you share it with another person. As a result, that person shares it with another person and so on. When one day someone tells me that same story, I will know that I have contributed to make this world a better place."
Posted 19th March 2009, 02:32 PM
Hi Yellow!

The modena's sound like they are a sensitive and a tempramental breed, it does not sound like they are for beginners, that is good you mentioned that in your write-up.

Thanks again.

Posted 23rd March 2009, 05:49 PM
No problem!

But donít let this get in the way, if you are planning to only keep a single bird or a pair it will be fine. Just be aware that if you are trying to breed them or start a flock of your own, they will not only add joy, entertainment, and happiness but sometimes make you want to pull your hair out!

Posted 8th July 2009, 07:29 PM
A question, as i may be getting a few modenas..
Can i let this breed of pigeon out for exercise?

The only predator i have around here where i live is the neighbours cat.
But she keeps it inside when i let my birds out.

Thanks in advance.
Posted 8th July 2009, 07:48 PM
Lightbulb

I don't think I would let a Modena out to exercise outside of a flight pen. They are not agile or strong fliers so would be an easy target for a hawk, falcon, stray cat or dog. If spooked, they don't have the strong homing instinct like homers to find their way back to your place.
Posted 13th July 2009, 11:42 AM
If you have supervision of the birds, you will be fine. I let my birds out all the time and I am surrounded by neighbors with dogs and cats.

What I do is I clip the primaries of the hens, only enough so that it prevents them from flying over the fences, roof, etc. Do not completely clip all the primaries!!! It only takes like 4 feathers to prevent them from going over the fences. What you do is span the wings out, save the first and most important primaries so they can flap, stretch and go from perch to perch. Clip the rest of the primaries. You won't even notice that they are clipped unless they flap or try to fly.

Why I recommend you do this?

This is for a few reasons. First it prevents them from flying and landing in the wrong places, if these guys fly over to a neighbors yard, they are not coming back.

Second, if the hens are not going anywhere, the cocks will not go anywhere. The cocks will stay with it's mate no matter what. If they get spooked for any reason, they will try to fly...the hen will fly up and land immediately without a full span of primaries, the cock will land immediately following his hen.

Third, your birds will appreciate having most of its primaries so it doesn't feel like it is handicap. A bird cannot stretch or flap and it really is sad to see people who clips or pluck every single feather, it prevents the bird from being balanced and it stresses the bird out.

Fourth, if you let them out enough...after they molt, the hens will grow back her feathers on her own, so it eliminates plucking any flight feathers (which is the hardest, longest, and most painful to grow). After the feathers are fully bloomed, they will by then hopefully learn and know their boundaries and not go past their designated area.

I use to keep about 6 pairs of modenas, and this method works wonders! I have never had problems with my modenas getting hurt or getting stranded in a neighbors yard.

Keep in mind, when you do this...Supervision is a must at all time until you lock them in again.

Good luck and enjoy them chubby things!!!

Posted 26th September 2010, 10:19 PM
Cool

I Think YellowKing has a youtube account i've watched some of his/her videos.
Modenas are cool,
But I like American Show Racers the best,
Any Homer Or Racer pigeon is my favourite!

-Dan

Pigeons all at home
Ready to be petted, Fed.
Pigeons, really great

A Haiku poem- Japanese Style
Posted 27th September 2010, 03:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigeon80error View Post
I Think YellowKing has a youtube account i've watched some of his/her videos.
Modenas are cool,
But I like American Show Racers the best,
Any Homer Or Racer pigeon is my favourite!

-Dan

Pigeons all at home
Ready to be petted, Fed.
Pigeons, really great

A Haiku poem- Japanese Style
Hey Dan, Alot of these posts your responding to are OLD! Dates are up in the left hand corner

http://cottageontheseacoastloft.weebly.com/index.html
"In Solitude there is Strength, In Strength there is Spirit"
Posted 28th September 2010, 01:22 AM
Excellent will be on the lookout for Georges article as I've only just started out with American Showpens
Posted 3rd January 2011, 11:01 AM
Hello everyone, after a 5 year break, I'm getting back into breeding Moden's. I do need any good loft ideas for about 10-12 birds.

Thank you

You'll never know God is all you need until God is all you got!!

Tags
breed of the week, modena