Parlor Tumbler Discussion - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Fanciers' Forums > Breeds - Information & Identification

Posted 5th December 2008, 10:16 PM

Parlor Tumbler Discussion

Thank you so much, Risingstarfans for this great article on Parlor Tumblers AKA Parlor Rollers (I think)! Dear members .. if you have never seen one of these birds do its thing .. you've missed something. I was quite distressed the first time I saw one and was beating feet to go rescue the "injured" bird that was "flopping" around .. said injured bird wasn't .. also wasn't flopping .. just doing it's thing!

Here's the link: Parlor Tumblers

Terry

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 5th December 2008, 10:43 PM
Oh my, that picture posted looks sooo much like my WoeBeGone, who is a West of England Tumbler!

She sure doesn't seem anxious to fly after her broken wing healed, but only time will tell. The one time she did a big flap, she flipped over on her back! Guess she would have done a Parlor Tumbler proud!!

mmmm, wonder is she has any Parlor in her???

Thanks for the informative thread, Risingstarfans!

Shi
Posted 10th December 2008, 09:05 PM
Very nice article on these birds John. I've never seen them perform, but hope to one day. I hadn't realized there were actually three kinds. Do they have to be trained to roll a distance? I'm guessing they don't just roll about the loft floor spontaneously.

It was very nice to meet you at the PoP, and I'm sure we will have many opportunities to talk in the future now that we know one another by sight.

Margaret

Posted 10th December 2008, 10:01 PM
Actually, I never trained those I had many years ago, but then I didn't have them for competition. I would imagine that true long distance rollers would need regular excercise to keep them in top form, but you would have to ask an experienced breeder.

Yes, it was my great pleasure to meet you, and we shall indeed be pals at the shows.
Posted 19th December 2008, 09:20 PM
Another great post! I have seen the tumbling on video at youtube, but never in real life. Very unusual birds....again, something that I am attracted to...lol. I love anything different or unusual. You mentioned short faced varieties...another thing I just love.....I am a sucker for those short beaks!

Thanks for all your hard work in providing us with such informative posts.

Linda
Posted 19th December 2008, 09:24 PM
Wow thanks so much for all the information i think i want a pair now for in the summer so i can let em roll around since my classic old frills do nothing lol
Posted 20th December 2008, 06:53 AM
What happened to the pictures?? I've seen one video on YouTube about these type pigeons. I guess it's no suprise that they don't judge on "looks".........I guess if we rolled around on the ground all the time, we'd have a "bad hair" day every day too. LOL
Posted 20th December 2008, 02:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovebirds View Post
What happened to the pictures??
The pics are back. Sorry about that! I forgot to change the image links to point to the Gallery here. I've been trying to get all the article pictures in the Gallery so they don't disappear as these did.

Terry

Posted 20th December 2008, 03:12 PM
Thumbs up

That was very interesting The rollers always scare me when I watch them I'm afriad they'll smash into the ground.
Many moons ago my husband used to have rollers, he always loved to watch them.
Posted 20th December 2008, 03:33 PM
enjoyed the article...now...do they roll around inside the loft?...why do they roll like that?...I wonder are they hard to catch when you take them out for a roll?....I think it is amazing....i may have to get a pair....thanks again for the article, I have been wondering about this breed...and the colors are pretty...

Last edited by spirit wings; 20th December 2008 at 06:13 PM..
Posted 20th December 2008, 06:08 PM
Great information! So what triggers them to roll?

I remember the first time I saw a roller. I was judging a children's pet show at the local fair. As I went down the line, I asked each child a question or two about their pet, including if they did any tricks.

One little pre-schooler was clutching a pigeon with both hands. I thought, "Weird parents, catching a pigeon and giving it to their daughter just so she could say she had a pet." When I got to the little girl, she smiled then started to put the bird on the ground. I reached out to stop her, figuring her "pet" would fly away followed by her tears. Luckily, the parents were ringside and told me it was okay. I was amazed when the bird tumbled across the ground, then sat there calmly while the girl walked over and gently scooped him up!!!! Quite extraordinary!
Posted 20th December 2008, 08:22 PM
I always felt bad for this breed as they dont seem to get a handle on life when let out on the ground sorta like how I always feel when I get off a boat and dont have my land legs back yet they do come in a lovely assortment of colors though nice read thanks
Posted 9th April 2009, 10:05 PM
I just went to the web link, and viewed a video. this is an amazing breed. Its really cool that they just roll in a line. Kind of weird, but cool!

~Scott~
Posted 23rd July 2009, 09:58 AM
How often can roll parlor rollers?
Posted 23rd July 2009, 06:50 PM
You apparently can't roll them a bunch of times, once they learn how to stop it's all over for the long rolls (see link).
http://www.parlorroller.com/competition.html

Tags
parlor roller, parlor tumbler