Racing Pigeon Discussion - Page 2 - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Fanciers' Forums > Breeds - Information & Identification

Posted 21st December 2008, 09:17 PM
Thank you guys for your compliments and thank you's. I'm glad to know you all liked it, and found it useful

"It is not only fine feathers that make fine birds." - Aesop

~Semper Fidelis~

Last edited by MaryOfExeter; 21st December 2008 at 09:27 PM..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 21st December 2008, 09:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigeon lower View Post
I use to tell all my friend get rid of your dogs and get pigeons.They all reply pigeons are stupid dogs are better. Well can your dog find its way home from 100m or more..? They reply no lol. Thats what i thought

No-offence. Just using dogs as an example but i ask it with all pets lol
[B]Well this is what I tell people when they laugh about racing pigeon What animal that weighs 1 pound can come home from 500 miles and do it in a day. Take a race horse out that far turn it loose with a rider and it will take them days to get home. Pound for pound the racing pigeon is the greatest racing animal alive today. ..GEORGE
Posted 21st December 2008, 09:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by george simon View Post
[B]Well this is what I tell people when they laugh about racing pigeon What animal that weighs 1 pound can come home from 500 miles and do it in a day. Take a race horse out that far turn it loose with a rider and it will take them days to get home. Pound for pound the racing pigeon is the greatest racing animal alive today. ..GEORGE
Totally agree on that one George, you won't see another living creature who can do such a amazing ability, the best athlete...

Posted 22nd December 2008, 09:53 AM

homing Pigeons

Very nicly written, There is no doubt a lot of thought and exsperance went into your very Imformitive post's. I like the part about the chips in the bands, that surly could make a differance in time when we are all counting secounds today. Makes me wonder, what next miniture I-pods that will play ther favorite coo or I just wana go hoooome, after all happy birds make for happy owners>>Kevin
Posted 22nd December 2008, 05:14 PM
Becky and Matt - many thanks for your well written and informative articles. I thoroughly enjoyed them.

Becky - are any of the drawings in your part your artwork?

Matt- I only have a few racers that we have taken in as rescues, but your description of them being either wild or tame is so very true...
Posted 22nd December 2008, 05:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Tarheel View Post
Becky and Matt - many thanks for your well written and informative articles. I thoroughly enjoyed them.

Becky - are any of the drawings in your part your artwork?
Thanks Maggie
Nope, sadly they aren't. If you go back and click on the pictures, they link to where I found them

~Semper Fidelis~
Posted 17th September 2010, 08:17 PM

air distance

could anyone explain to me how to measure airdistance in racing pigeon.do they do it from release point?then just straight line to my house? (like would a crows fly) or they do it in different way? i'm a first year flyer....just wondering cause when i look at the map my location is farther to some of the flyer in my club....but my air distance is shorter.thanks

Last edited by felize; 18th September 2010 at 05:43 AM..
Posted 18th September 2010, 06:45 AM
Lightbulb

air miles

http://boulter.com/gps/distance/ this is a great way to find out
NPR Club President
AU Life member
Posted 19th September 2010, 09:40 PM
Thanks A Smith for the link....but in laymans explanation...is it from release point to destination point.on a straight line? the only variable will be the angle?
Posted 20th September 2010, 09:56 AM
Yes. Release to loft in a straight line.

Not sure what you mean by the "angle" being a variable.
Posted 20th September 2010, 11:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaysen View Post
Yes. Release to loft in a straight line.

Not sure what you mean by the "angle" being a variable.
They're just talking about the direction the line is going in order to reach their house, making an angle.

But yes, that is how air miles are figured, in a straight line. Air miles are no different from road miles, only without the curves and such that makes roads take so much longer. So if you have a map with one of those milage keys, then you can easily measure how far certain places are by going in a straight line. That's how we made up our first training map, in 5 mile increments.

~Semper Fidelis~
Posted 20th September 2010, 04:55 PM
Becky,

There is actually a little problem with measuring air miles using a flat map. The earth is curved and so all "straight lines" are actually archs. The act of flattening the earth to a flat map actually distorts distances over the arch. These archs are a bit tighter as you go further north and so the distortion leads to a greater distance variance the further north you go.

There is a method of calculating the arch distance know as the "Haversine formula". I have used it in google map calculation sites. If you are interested I can post some examples and/or javascript code to help with point to point distance calculation.

Maybe i am too close to the problem, hence my "angle" confusion.
Posted 20th September 2010, 05:10 PM
I use a Garmin GPS Plus 3
It seems to be accurate. Our Club uses a GPS.
Posted 20th September 2010, 05:29 PM
thanks guys for giving me information about air distance.....i have a simple question.we race from west to east,my airdistance from our last race is 124 miles,one of the flier in the club is 132 miles. he is a little bit farther to the east..how come we got 8 miles difference in air distance,but if i drive to his location its only 4 miles difference?is this possible?
Posted 20th September 2010, 05:57 PM
Maybe you need to get your/BOTH loft Surveys double checked. Along with other numbers.

Tags
breed of the week, racing pigeon, young bird