Ringneck Doves - Streptopelia Risoria Discussion - Page 2 - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Fanciers' Forums > Breeds - Information & Identification

Posted 12th September 2009, 05:13 PM
great story! When I was a kid, I let two out on purpose...not knowing anything..they did come back and got in their cage, I "flew" them this way all summer. but of course it was stupid. they were a nice pair. now I have three white hens from a magician, he used them in his magic shows..poor things had clipped wings and were fed this old wild bird feed mix, they were in poor feather and not so white. now they are sparkling and smooth. I feed them harrison's high potency fine and it has been a huge improvement in there health. love the clay nest bowl you have. all three of my hens will share a basket, I put another in the cage, but they don't use it, I guess they prefer to be together. I need to take some pics of the lovelys...have tons of my pigeons but none of them....ummm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 12th September 2009, 07:34 PM
Awww they're so cute. What luck that both Petra and Hayden came back, it's even more scary when they get out than when a pigeon does. I had mine get out when the little door stuck open on his cage (I slid the big door down and the little one stayed up). I heard him cooing soon after and recognized, as you said, the distinctive coo. He was at the other end of the yard with six of my outdoor cats under the tree! Luckily he stayed still for me to net him though he's not particularly tame, while not really skittish either. He was happy to get back to his big cage.

On a side note, if you find yourself in need of a young (under two) male RN, let me know as the above Ivan dove is my last dove left and I have no clue what I'm going to do with him over the winter. He is not enjoying his large cage and I obviously can't put him in with the pigeons. Right now he's with the little webbed-toed pijie that Jaye brought me but he's trying to get out of his cage all the time. I let him fly in a small tent every day but it's definitely not the ideal life. If you need a male I can bring him to you somehow. And thanks for starting a dove thread, they are such sweet little birds.

Talk to me,
Coo to me,
Bow to me,
Listen to me.
And I'll teach you
To fly with me
And I will love you
Like no other....

http://picasaweb.google.com/awrats3333

21 Amazing Facts You Might Not Know About Pigeons!
Posted 12th September 2009, 08:57 PM
Great stories Cathy and MJ! Thank you for sharing with us. I, too, have ringneck doves .. about two dozen of them .. all rescues. They are totally delightful little birds! I've been lucky to not have any escapees, but I had two ringnecks land in my backyard yesterday which scared me as I thought some of mine had gotten out .. nope .. the two visitors were not mine. I set up a cage with food/water in the hopes they would go in, but they weren't having any of it. I know that they won't last too long on their own, so I hope they will continue to visit and will eventually allow me to catch them.

Terry

Posted 13th September 2009, 02:34 PM
Thanks so much for your input, Spirit Wings, MJ and Terry. I really enjoy hearing other dove stories and hope there will be more. MJ I'm afraid I don't have room for another boy at present, but will keep an ear out. I'm involved in MickaCoo as a "dove advisor" and sometimes foster parent. Just last month we delivered two rescued doves to their new home in Cambria. What color is Ivan? I do know a lady who lives in the gold country and comes to SJ a few times a year. I believe she's willing to take more pieds and other colors but she doesn't really want more whites because she has so many of them. They have a big aviary and have taken in lots of needy doves. It's an excellent home. I think she'll be in the Bay Area in October, if you're interested.

I want a walk-in dove aviary in the worst way but our budget is tight right now and Steve isn't physically up to building another big structure for me. I want one because it would be a safer place for my doves than the individual small aviaries they currently occupy plus I could accommodate more rescues. At present I'm full up.

I have a rescued dove I got in August I believe is elderly judging from his looks and his quavery coo. You should hear him--sounds like something from "Tales from the Crypt." He's been vet-checked and is healthy, but the poor thing wound up at the shelter with no feathers at all from the back of his neck, across his shoulders, to the top of his tail. Now with good nutrition he's getting new feathers every day, but it will probably be months before he's fully feathered. Progress is slow and I think it's because he's old. He's beginning to molt his worn-looking flights and tailfeathers in addition to growing down feathers on his back, which is encouraging. We named him "Phoenix" because he's rising from the ashes, so to speak. Has anyone else seen a bird this bare?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Phoenix Aug12_09.jpg (71.9 KB, 99 views)

Last edited by Birdmom4ever; 1st February 2010 at 01:03 PM..
Posted 13th September 2009, 04:58 PM
Wow, he really does have a bare back!!! Glad he is growing some feathers with your good care!
Posted 13th September 2009, 06:07 PM
oh my gosh bless your heart for taking care of this old guy...he sounds like a real trooper...I have never seen that much feather loss. makes you want to put some sunscreen on him....I know he will have a real nice life with you!
Posted 13th September 2009, 07:07 PM
I spray him daily with an aloe vera-based product made especially for birds called Soother (made by HealX). It really seems to help. I don't know his history (he was at shelter #2 when I got him) but my best guess is that he was kept in a crowded cage and was picked on relentlessly by other doves and also that he was given inadequate nutrition since his remaining feathers are thin and brittle.

Here's a photo from last week and you can see the progress he has made. His poor tail is now covered in down, there are tiny down feathers coming in on his back and he's getting his characteristic ringneck "ring" back. He also has new pinfeathers on his head and breast.

I originally intended to foster him until another home was found for him, but he's clearly an old guy and has been through a lot so I don't have the heart to relocate him yet again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Phoenix Sept 10_09 002.jpg (79.0 KB, 94 views)
Posted 13th September 2009, 07:12 PM
Can't say that I've seen one that bare unless it was due to tangling with a dog or a car. Poor old fellow! I'm glad you have him, Cathy. I can see the improvement in him already. Wishing him and you the best!

Terry

Posted 13th September 2009, 10:23 PM
Thank you, Terry. He was a sad bird but he's quite content here.
Posted 14th September 2009, 07:17 AM
he has made progress, I would not of had the heart to place him either, he is a special guy that has been through alot...you feel like trying to make up for his hardships by spoiling him....he deserves it..aw, he is so cute.
Posted 14th September 2009, 08:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdmom4ever View Post
...my best guess is that he was kept in a crowded cage and was picked on relentlessly by other doves and also that he was given inadequate nutrition since his remaining feathers are thin and brittle.

Oww!! Poor guy!

Here's a photo from last week and you can see the progress he has made. His poor tail is now covered in down...

Adorable little rump fluff!

I originally intended to foster him until another home was found for him, but he's clearly an old guy and has been through a lot so I don't have the heart to relocate him yet again.
Thank you so much for being this bird's retirement home!
Posted 2nd December 2009, 10:52 PM
how many doves can be housed in a aviary/loft 4x8x8 i'm going to build a flight next spring but this is what i got for now.
Ben
Posted 2nd December 2009, 11:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brdsrcool View Post
how many doves can be housed in a aviary/loft 4x8x8 i'm going to build a flight next spring but this is what i got for now.
Ben
I would guess not more than about 30, but I don't really know. I can put you in touch with some ringneck breeders if you like, and I'm sure they will know. Let me know. Do you have perches (if so, what kind?) and/or boxes in your loft?

Terry

Posted 2nd December 2009, 11:25 PM
its all in the works its not totally done yet(i dont have my birds yet). but i would love to know some dove breeders all i have gotten to know in my area is pigeon breeders.
Ben
Posted 3rd December 2009, 12:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brdsrcool View Post
its all in the works its not totally done yet(i dont have my birds yet). but i would love to know some dove breeders all i have gotten to know in my area is pigeon breeders.
Ben
Then I would suggest that you join the doves-pigeons discussion list on Yahoogroups.com. This list is strictly doves and exotic pigeons, and some of the most respected experts in the world participate in this list. Here's the link for the group: http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/doves-pigeons/

Terry

Tags
breed of the week, lost ringnecks, ringneck dove