Ringneck Doves - Streptopelia Risoria Discussion - Page 3 - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Fanciers' Forums > Breeds - Information & Identification

Posted 29th January 2010, 10:00 PM
Wink

same happened to my bird when i let the bird out of their cage inside the house my mom opened the door and 1 flew out and i closed the door immediatley after... then i opened i ran around and i find it running around and i didn't do anything and she flew back weird lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 29th January 2010, 10:45 PM
If I had to take a guess that little Dove was probley put in with pigeons--some fool thought they belonged together but then again in a cage full of other doves being picked on could very well be too. What a little charmer that dove it and I am so glad that you are taking such good care of it. I raised a Morning Dove one time that a young person found and let it loose before migration full grown and it came back to my house with three other morning doves just to look at my yard and made its noise and flew off now every year right before migration it visits and makes it noise and off it goes with it other morning dove friends and I say: Oh its migration time good luck little one. I have a special love in my heart for Doves---Thanks for everything you do for them...c.hert
Posted 30th January 2010, 06:03 PM
That's a wonderful story, C. Hert! I love mourning doves and we enjoy seeing them in our yard.

I should update Phoenix's story because it's a happy one. He still has a bare patch on his back but he's much better than he was when he came. He molted and his new feathers are beautiful and smooth.

In November I briefly fostered 10 doves. When I picked them up from the shelter I took an extra one for me, a gorgeous little orange hen we named "Sedona." Phoenix was quite taken with her and immediately began coo-bowing to her. He was such a gentleman and never forced himself on her, but courted her relentlessly even though she showed no interest in him. None.

In December I finally found a new home for my grandma's old piano and so had room to buy a nice big cage to put in the living room for Phoenix and Sedona. I don't know if he'll ever get all his feathers back so I don't feel I can put him outdoors. I got a good deal on a big cage and both doves seemed happy with the space but Sedona was still immune to Phoenix's advances.

Finally a couple weeks ago Sedona began to return Phoenix's affection. I saw her preen his head and then one night they slept next to each other on the perch. I hung an old Easter basket in their cage and they spent all day in it, cooing and twitching their wings. Last week she laid eggs and Phoenix is very much the good husband, taking his full turn on the nest during the day. (Unfortunately I had to replace their eggs with fakes because we don't have room for four doves in the house.) If he could smile he would be beaming, he is so happy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Phoenix December 17_2009 013_sm.jpg (25.4 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg Phoenix December 17_2009_sm 012.jpg (32.8 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg Doves_Jan30_2010 003.jpg (53.4 KB, 94 views)

Posted 30th January 2010, 06:06 PM
and one more, of the love nest...that's Sedona in front.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dove nest Jan_2010 002.jpg (54.6 KB, 70 views)
Posted 30th January 2010, 07:31 PM
Yea she was playing hard to get because she wanted him to build a good nest lol
Thanks for the picture--how pretty---I have a mookee bird by the name of mookee and she played hard to get with six males--then a black and white mookee really got interested and she would not have anything to do with him until he built her a 7 inch nest out of tobacco stems---fussy she was----now this pair have had 8 babies total and no more---with Mookie ---she"s special--its hard to pick up her eggs for she loves them so much----but no more---right now I have my male and females separated but when they get back together--she will get plastic eggs unless she gives me "that look" and I am sure you know what I mean---Thanks for sharing -beautiful doves.c.hert
Posted 30th January 2010, 09:17 PM
Sedona has such a sweet eye. No wonder Phoenix was smitten with her!
Posted 28th February 2010, 09:22 PM
That is awesome. Saved it since I am new to them.
Posted 9th August 2010, 05:00 PM
Hello,

I am keeping some Valencian Figuritas in my new loft I am going to finish building. And I was wondering if Ringneck Doves can be kept outside durring the winter. Valencian Figuritas are good with the cold but I am not sure about the Ringneck Doves. Does anyone know if they are winter hardy?
Posted 11th August 2010, 10:38 AM
Our dove do just fine outdoors in the winter. We live in extreme north east tn, very close to the va boarder. As long as you have a secure loft that is not drafty they will be fine. What colors do you have? What part of va do you live in?
Posted 11th August 2010, 01:06 PM

Doves

Hello,

I have white, wild, and tangerines. I am going to pair up a tangerine male and female to get pearl soon. I live in Stafford, Virginia. There isn't a lot of pigeon and dove breeders here.
Posted 18th August 2010, 12:15 AM
yeah pretty much the same here, not many breeders. we have tang., tang. pearl, fawn, and violet neck. also some pied. do you raise pigeons too?
Posted 18th August 2010, 12:27 AM
Yeah, I just got a pair of Valencian Figuritas and hopefully they will lay eggs soon. What type do you raise?
Posted 25th September 2010, 11:49 PM
hey bird mom, really cool story how is pheonix these days. i am just wondering do ringnecks have a small homing ability. i once worked in a garden centre that had a massive avairy in the middle, and over the years people left there unwanted birds there, and the avairy became home to almost one of everything. my favorites were the 6 ringnecks that lived in there. there was a second avairy with nothing in it, and the manager decided to move the ringnecks so they could have there own space but some how while moving them to the other side of the yard they all escaped. the next day they were all back sitting on top of the avairy. for about 3 days they hung out in the garden centre untill we were able to catch them all again. so i wonder if they have a mild homing ability or if they are just smarter then your average cockateil or budgie??
Posted 27th September 2010, 01:45 PM
West of Enagland Tumblers and Birmingham Rollers right now.

Tags
breed of the week, lost ringnecks, ringneck dove