Ringneck Doves - Streptopelia Risoria Discussion - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Fanciers' Forums > Breeds - Information & Identification

Posted 23rd January 2009, 10:36 PM

Ringneck Doves - Streptopelia Risoria Discussion

We have a "surprise" Breed Of The Week today .. Ringneck Doves. The article is now available for viewing and discussion. You can read it here Ringneck Doves

Terry

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 23rd January 2009, 11:36 PM
Great..I have been looking forward to this as I have taken in 17 rescued doves over the last 2 years...specific info is helpful. Thank you.
Posted 23rd January 2009, 11:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kippermom View Post
Great..I have been looking forward to this as I have taken in 17 rescued doves over the last 2 years...specific info is helpful. Thank you.
You're welcome, but most of the "specific" info will be found in the links in the article. It's truly amazing how many of these lovely little doves are found and come in as rescues. I love them and their cooing and laughing, but I'm sure there are days (and nights) when my neighbors aren't too amused!

Terry

Posted 24th January 2009, 09:12 PM
Thanks for the info. Love the pics. Thanks!

~Scott~
Posted 24th January 2009, 11:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAWhatley View Post
You're welcome, but most of the "specific" info will be found in the links in the article. It's truly amazing how many of these lovely little doves are found and come in as rescues. I love them and their cooing and laughing, but I'm sure there are days (and nights) when my neighbors aren't too amused!

Terry
Beautifully done, Terry! Never owned any, but always loved to see them at friends lofts. My uncle rescued one once, kept it for several years...

As far as doves being noisier than pigeons, it certainly is true....The complaint I had last year was for "my" birds noise....Funny, we had a lot of mourning doves around....Cost me most of a whole breeding season.....
Posted 28th January 2009, 03:51 PM
Thanks Terry.
I have nine RD's including my beloved Yodi, they are so precious.
Posted 29th January 2009, 11:02 AM
really enjoyed the article as I'am a newish keeper of 5 white sweet doves, they are the best in house birds I have ever had. no squawking and screeching. they eat their feed out of a tupperware type dish with a lid, turned over with a hole cute out of it, no scatterd seed!, they like a hanging basket above the floor of their cage and sit and coddle over their little wooden replacement eggs. The coo is loud, but I only have one male so it is not bad as he sits on the nest alot with his gal. but even when he coos it is a pretty sound and not bothersome to us. mine came from someone that used them for magic shows, so they are calm and tame and not flighty, they let me pick them right up and are so easy going....I just love em!
Posted 29th January 2009, 11:25 AM
Isn't it against the law in some places to keep certain doves unless one is a licensed rehabber? Thought I heard this someplace.

I was visiting a friend a few years ago and she had a pair of beautiful fawn colored Ringnecks come to visit. She said, "watch this!" and proceeded to feed them seeds from her hand. I was able to do the same thing!

We knew they were a pair because they happily mated in front of us on one of her chaise lounges. They, then, kept flying over to her potted plants. Since she didn't want them in her plants, she would get up and shoo them away. The minute she sat back down, back they flew!

Then, one flew to the roof above my head and LAUGHED! I had never heard one laugh before and just cracked up! Everytime I heard them, I don't know who was laughing more...them or me! It was almost as if they were laughing AT US! Bet they were...

DELIGHTFUL BIRDS!!

Shi
Posted 29th January 2009, 11:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr squeaks View Post
Isn't it against the law in some places to keep certain doves unless one is a licensed rehabber? Thought I heard this someplace.

I was visiting a friend a few years ago and she had a pair of beautiful fawn colored Ringnecks come to visit. She said, "watch this!" and proceeded to feed them seeds from her hand. I was able to do the same thing!

We knew they were a pair because they happily mated in front of us on one of her chaise lounges. They, then, kept flying over to her potted plants. Since she didn't want them in her plants, she would get up and shoo them away. The minute she sat back down, back they flew!

Then, one flew to the roof above my head and LAUGHED! I had never heard one laugh before and just cracked up! Everytime I heard them, I don't know who was laughing more...them or me! It was almost as if they were laughing AT US! Bet they were...

DELIGHTFUL BIRDS!!

Shi
hey Shi, these are domestic ring necks bred in captivity for pets, not wild doves, and I too love their "laugh"
Posted 5th February 2009, 05:54 PM
I keep a flight of domestic ring necks (20 birds) and there is a small feral flock of another tye of dove who have taken up residence in the pine trees over my aviary. They eat what my birds toss out the cage walls for them. I am pretty sure they are in kahoots and I am feeding the whole lot of them
Posted 20th July 2009, 07:28 PM
I have heard people keeping and breeding them successfully in loft like coops outdoors all year. even in northern areas like new hampshire and such. Is it possible??
Posted 21st July 2009, 04:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorsCoop View Post
I have heard people keeping and breeding them successfully in loft like coops outdoors all year. even in northern areas like new hampshire and such. Is it possible??
I don't know, mine seem to be a LOT more sensitive to the heat and cold than any of my pigeons. And thanks for the info, Terry! Whenever did you find the time to do that? I think you must have one of those things that the girl in Harry Potter had, where it turned back time and allowed you to be several places at once.

Talk to me,
Coo to me,
Bow to me,
Listen to me.
And I'll teach you
To fly with me
And I will love you
Like no other....

http://picasaweb.google.com/awrats3333

21 Amazing Facts You Might Not Know About Pigeons!
Posted 22nd July 2009, 09:13 PM
I Have A Pair Of Tangerine Doves. One Is Tangerine The Other One Is A Pearl Tangerine, Just Beautiful. They Are So Tame They Will Jump On Your Finger When You Go Inside The Aviary, I Am So Happy, I Bought A Pair Of American White Fantail Pigeons!!!!!!! (my First Pigeons).
Posted 23rd July 2009, 06:48 AM
Quote:
Bought A Pair Of American White Fantail Pigeons!!!!!!! (my First Pigeons).
Congrats! I remember like 5 years ago, my grandpa had white fantails. But i am still not sure what kind they were. i believe they were a mix of american and indian. they had the body shape of indians without muffed feet. They looked just like the garden fantails they have in england. but they dont seem to have them here. but anyway, good luck with them!
Posted 12th September 2009, 04:58 PM

Two Dove Stories

I see there haven't been many posts to this section so I thought I'd share a couple ringneck dove stories. I have a soft spot for doves and my affection for them has grown since we adopted our first rescued doves four years ago. We currently have 13 doves. We also have 80+ pigeons.

I've had two doves get out by accident on separate occasions and I got them both back! The first time was three years ago and I'd taken in three rescues, a pair and their young adult daughter, all tame. I was cleaning their small outdoor aviary when the youngster, a tangerine hen named Petra, accidentally slipped past me and flew off over our back fence. I was heartbroken, convinced I'd never see her again. But two hours later she came back, made her way under the patio cover and I found her sitting on top of her parents' cage. To my great relief she allowed me to just walk over and pick her up. She looked at me as if to say, "It's about time--I was getting hungry!"

Last month one of Petra's daughters, Hayden, escaped in a similar fashion. She disappeared. But that afternoon I heard the distinctive call of a ringneck in a tree on our street, so I knew it had to be her. Sure enough, she showed up the following afternoon. I first spotted her on the roof of the pigeon loft and from there she eventually made her way to her parents' cage on the patio. But unlike her mom, she was not tame enough for me to catch her. For two maddening days I would see her but was unable to get close to her. I took her family out of the cage and put them in a temporary cage, leaving Hayden's cage open. She would go in to eat and drink but when I tried to close the door she would fly out again.

I was in the process of tying a string to the door in an effort to trap her from a distance when disaster struck. Hayden had been hanging out on the patio near her family's temporary cage. A Cooper's hawk swooped in and perched on a beam extending from the patio, its eyes fixed on the doves in the cage. I chased him off and he went one way and Hayden flew off in the opposite direction like a bat out of hell. My heart sank. I was sure she would be too scared to come back for hours, if at all.

Not half an hour later I stepped out on the patio and to my amazement there was Hayden sitting on the back perch of her cage! I slammed the door shut with her safely inside. I guess she decided the world was a scary place and she'd better get to safety.

It amazes me that these two doves came back yet I've lost a number of pigeons that were either hatched here or had lived here for a long time. I guess the reason is that the pigeons flew farther away than the doves and were unable to find their way back. I certainly would never recommend free-flying doves, but I'm so happy I got both my girls back.

Hayden has shown no further desire to make a break for it. Here's a photo Hayden (left) sitting on the nest she shares with her sister, Hailey. They also have a younger brother, Dylan.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hayden & Hailey Sept 09 001.jpg (98.4 KB, 151 views)

Tags
breed of the week, lost ringnecks, ringneck dove