Valencian Figurita Discussion - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Fanciers' Forums > Breeds - Information & Identification

Posted 15th November 2008, 06:23 PM

Valencian Figurita Discussion

The discussion thread for Valencian Figuritas is now open. There will be other pictures added as soon as Pigeonmama has had a chance to get them to me. The pictures currently being displayed are from links to other websites.

Enjoy!

Terry

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 16th November 2008, 07:03 AM
Thanks, Terry, I look forward to this one, I am so curious about these tiny little cuties!

Thank you for sharing the pictures and information, Daryl!

Posted 16th November 2008, 11:52 AM
thanks for the article......I got three new ones this weekend, got one nice white pair and he gave me a redcheck cock to go with my light yellow check hen, what colors do you think their young would produce?

Last edited by spirit wings; 17th November 2008 at 05:19 PM..

Posted 16th November 2008, 08:17 PM

The Article Is Here:

figurita-31217.html" target="_blank">http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/f62/va.../a>-31217.html

Lovely birds, Spirit Wings!

Terry

Posted 17th November 2008, 09:48 AM

Depends on dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by spirit wings View Post
Is there an article somewhere?......I got three new ones this weekend, got one nice white pair and he gave me a redcheck cock to go with my light yellow check hen, what colors do you think their young would produce?...
If dad is split for dilute, you'll get red and yellow checks. If he has black flecks, they will also produce blues. Check pattern can also produce barred birds if they carry bar. I have not seen barless figs but they may exist. It seems that most figs are split for recessive white and whites are produced from most matings. I'm getting whites from most of my non white pairs.

Bill

PS. You seem to have the same problem with images that I have. You have to delete the duplicate sets of brackets for the photos to show. Take it down to one set of brackets and one IMG at each end. To be sure that you got rid of only what was needed, you can do a preview to make sure they worked OK. I have no idea why this happens and have posted about my problems with it as well.
Posted 17th November 2008, 11:58 AM
Quote:
Thank you, are you able to see the pics I posted, for some reason I can't...
The links to the pictures are incorrect, and that's why they aren't showing up. They were OK yesterday, however. The URL to the photos is not complete .. they are all showing something like http://rcfig which is not a complete link. The links should be like http://www.wherevertheyare/rcfig.jpg

Terry

Posted 17th November 2008, 06:59 PM
this is a link to pics of my birds http://picasaweb.google.com/dmbarka/...y=_Lmbj_-Zfuk#
Posted 17th November 2008, 09:59 PM

They look like nice figs

The yellow hen might be velvet (t pattern) as I can't see checks. I have some like this too that make them hard to tell what they are. Figs seem to have soft colors that make them hard to distinguish at times. It may be due to under grizzle which seems quite prevalent in them or it may be something else.

I have a couple of ash reds that I almost mistook for yellow because they are so light. I also have several that I'm not sure if they are spread or velvet or what as the pattern is very minimal or fuzzy. Interesting little birds.

I've lost a couple to the cold and they don't seem to be the best parents. I notice that they leave pretty small babies alone for too long in the nests. I started bringing young ones in at night and take them back out during the day. This way the parents still feed them and they don't get too cold. At about 10 days or so, they either can't cover them or don't try and they get too cold if it's at all chilly outside. I have fostered a few to rollers and it works out better but we're doing OK with bringing them in. They also seem to learn to eat on their own at pretty small size.

Bill
Posted 17th November 2008, 10:03 PM
Quote:
Great! That works! Very, very lovely birds. Here's how a link to an individual picture would look: http://lh4.ggpht.com/_s8ZVNvvmO1Q/SS.../s512/fig2.jpg

and here's how using the image (IMG) feature would work:

Terry

Posted 18th November 2008, 07:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbangelfish View Post
The yellow hen might be velvet (t pattern) as I can't see checks. I have some like this too that make them hard to tell what they are. Figs seem to have soft colors that make them hard to distinguish at times. It may be due to under grizzle which seems quite prevalent in them or it may be something else.

I have a couple of ash reds that I almost mistook for yellow because they are so light. I also have several that I'm not sure if they are spread or velvet or what as the pattern is very minimal or fuzzy. Interesting little birds.

I've lost a couple to the cold and they don't seem to be the best parents. I notice that they leave pretty small babies alone for too long in the nests. I started bringing young ones in at night and take them back out during the day. This way the parents still feed them and they don't get too cold. At about 10 days or so, they either can't cover them or don't try and they get too cold if it's at all chilly outside. I have fostered a few to rollers and it works out better but we're doing OK with bringing them in. They also seem to learn to eat on their own at pretty small size.

Bill
I do not think that is a fig thing, my seraphims did sit less on their nestling at about 8 days, I think that is normal, that is why I will wait till warm spring to hatch anything, if they are still feeding them that is the important thing, but yes it is too cold to be hatching....the grizzle hen on her dummy eggs defends them like a momma bear, and I do not think I have seen her even get up, she poops over the side of the bowl, I put food next to her, I hope she is eating well enough......yes that yellow hen is interesting...Im going to pair her with the RC .........
Posted 18th November 2008, 08:24 AM

Compared to rollers, not so good

The fig breeders who I know had warned me about their parenting. They had said that most of them were not too good at raising two but pretty good with one baby. In warm weather, I found them to be pretty good with either. They seem to be in a big hurry to get going with the next round of eggs and tend to forget the babies alittle too soon. Maybe it's a biological thing with them and they do lay often. I guess they can't help that.

They do strongly defend their nests and are quite the little wing slappers. If I compare them to rollers in their ability to raise young, the rollers win hands down. I would not normally be breeding them this late but I just got the last of the group at the beginning of October and wanted to squeeze another round before shutting them down for the winter. The breeder who I bought them from advised against it. As long as I pay close attention to what is going on and bring babies in at night, it's working out. I may even bring a couple pair into the basement to finish what I'm working on with them.

Bill
Posted 18th November 2008, 09:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbangelfish View Post
The fig breeders who I know had warned me about their parenting. They had said that most of them were not too good at raising two but pretty good with one baby. In warm weather, I found them to be pretty good with either. They seem to be in a big hurry to get going with the next round of eggs and tend to forget the babies alittle too soon. Maybe it's a biological thing with them and they do lay often. I guess they can't help that.

They do strongly defend their nests and are quite the little wing slappers. If I compare them to rollers in their ability to raise young, the rollers win hands down. I would not normally be breeding them this late but I just got the last of the group at the beginning of October and wanted to squeeze another round before shutting them down for the winter. The breeder who I bought them from advised against it. As long as I pay close attention to what is going on and bring babies in at night, it's working out. I may even bring a couple pair into the basement to finish what I'm working on with them.

Bill

yes, hard to compare to a roller....The fig breeder here does not seem to notice a "breeding problem", he was up to 90 figs and he started to have to give them away, too bad I did'nt call him then.. I asked him about breeding, his experience is they are great, no problems. I hope I have the same luck. keep those babies warm...perhaps it will be smoother going in spring...I guess I will find out as well..
Posted 17th December 2008, 08:04 AM

I have 3 red ash/bar Figs(not sure if hen or cock)

I have 3 red ash figs and not sure if they are hen or cock birds. Can someone with more knowledge help me on this one. Thank you.

Please view my video of my figurita "Crow".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRLJf...e=channel_page
Posted 17th December 2008, 08:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrollers View Post
I have 3 red ash figs and not sure if they are hen or cock birds. Can someone with more knowledge help me on this one. Thank you.

Please view my video of my figurita "Crow".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRLJf...e=channel_page
how did you train your birds to do that?
Posted 17th December 2008, 08:53 AM
Takes lots of time and training, especially with Figuritas because they don't fly as much as the rollers do. From, my experience with training all other pigeons, the Figurita is my best bird and crow gets to be inside in the family room. He is our family pet.

Tags
figurita, valencian figurita;