Baby canary close to death - Page 2 - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Archives > Archive - Other Birds

Posted 5th August 2010, 02:42 PM
[QUOTE=Teresa;494207]Zosterops, you're so right, he's a bundle of joy!
Can you imagine that his owner amitted she'd only handed him over to me cause she didn't want a dead creature in her house, rather than because he needed help? Some people, honestly!!

Yep i see that happen all the time people just dont want to have to deal with death

well i better get back to feeding ...lol
5 zebra finches ...Done
now all that left for hand feeding are the lovebirds cockatiels and budgies only 30 more babies to feed man this is a lot of work ...lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 5th August 2010, 08:38 PM
Thank you all so much for your support and encouragement!
I'm going to try the physio just as described. Fingers crossed!

Karyn, at that point I was giving him a few drops of water after the food, but since then I found it easier just to dilute the formula a little more. Thank you for confirming that was the right way to go! I've never looked after a canary before, and he's so very little I'm scared of doing the wrong thing.
I'm still worried that he may carry some disease his parents might have. I know they laid 6 eggs, and that was the only one that hatched.

Ede-bird, thank you so much for your offer of advice and support! Say hello to your special-needs girl from me.

When I find the time (yeah, right... ) I really need to write an update on my pigeons! I'm looking after 5 ferals and a homer, and I'm keeping my vet VERY busy! You may remember Piper (bitten wing, flightless) and baby Sammy Tarheel (who turned out to be a hen, lol, and needed to be hand-fed for 7 months -- PPMV). Then there's Hercules (4 operations to save his life and his leg), Pippin (sickly youngster, handed to me by the vet to foster), Abby (clipped by a car, scalped, and with a dislocated femur) and proud George (trapped by a wing, neurological damage, found in shock). Add to that a collie and 3 demented cats and you get... chaos...
Posted 6th August 2010, 09:21 AM
Sounds like my house

Posted 6th August 2010, 05:17 PM
Thumbs up

Xi-ri is doing really well!
He's alert, bouncy, and has a terrific appetite! I whistle to him when I go into the room, and he replies with a flurry of peeps!

And today he grabbed my finger with the toes in his left foot! He's starting to uncurl them!!! It can't be because of my timid attempts at massaging his leg and feet, so he must be getting his strength back.
The toes in the right foot, which began curling later, haven't straightened out yet, but now I feel confident they will. I wonder if it was muscle atrophy caused by the long period of starvation...
Posted 6th August 2010, 05:28 PM
That is so sweet! I'm so glad to hear things are going well for the baby!
Posted 6th August 2010, 05:37 PM
awww, i'm so glad i came on to check out pt today, it's been a while.
i must say i'm very jealous i would love to raise and keep a little canary..
my only suggestion would be to give him a custard type dish/nest so he can tuck into it more and wont be so wobbly on his feet come feeding time
Posted 6th August 2010, 05:43 PM
you can make little shoes for his feet if they don't uncurl soon, have had to do this with many songbirds with clenched feet
heres is pic i use a thick piece of thin cardboard like from the cover of a paper back book or that infuriating plastic that so many things are packaged in.
i tape each toe in its proper position with each toenail just over the edge with a thin strip of paper tape, that's the only kind of tape that should be against his skin, then put a stronger medical tape over that.
leave it on for about 7-10 days.
usually u can just cut the stronger medical tape and get his whole foot wet and the paper tape will release it's bond

Last edited by altgirl35; 11th October 2010 at 12:20 PM..
Posted 6th August 2010, 09:59 PM
Teresa, sounds like little Xi-ri is making steady improvements with each passing day and I think a great deal of this has to do with the wonderful care you are providing him. It was good to hear that he grabbed your finger today and malnutrition can absolutely cause problems with a bird's motor skills developing properly, from poor muscle and bone development taking place. I am hopeful you will be able to help correct the problem, with help from altgirl35 and from doing the physiotherapy therapy. Please keep us updated.
Posted 6th August 2010, 10:56 PM
He looked... so fragile, lifeless, and tiny in the first pic. And in the second one... it's a pretty big change!

Keep up with your excellent work! You'll end up with a tame canary now :P.
Posted 7th August 2010, 07:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by altgirl35 View Post
awww, i'm so glad i came on to check out pt today, it's been a while.
i must say i'm very jealous i would love to raise and keep a little canary..
my only suggestion would be to give him a custard type dish/nest so he can tuck into it more and wont be so wobbly on his feet come feeding time
Hi Altgirl35,

First of all, I have good news for you: the seagull you helped me with (suspected botulism and a growth in the foot) healed completely and has been safely released! And a fallen seagull nestling was delivered to the Centre for the Rehabilitation of Marine Animals after a good feed, and he's doing great and learning to eat for himself!

About the custard dish: sorry about my ignorance, we don't have custard here, so no special dishes for it... His nest was bought in a pet shop, and it's the shape of half a sphere. Do you mean I should get him a deeper or shallower one?

About the foot splint, that was my first thought too, but after checking his toes, my avian vet told me to wait a few days and see, and then have him checked again to see whether to splint. It seems he's lived up to her expectations, because the toes are starting to uncurl -- I'm just thrilled about it!
Posted 7th August 2010, 07:45 AM
2.30 PM TODAY:

He's clambering everywhere now...

His toes are uncurling:

Here he is in action, so much so I feared he might try to jump out...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEk_VN4yUCg

After eating. Feeding time is a lot less messy now, as we're both getting the hang of it. Using the 1 ml syringe is also better.
In this video, I offered him another drop but baby was full... and getting sleepy, lol!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZH1GFCVAY8

Last edited by Teresa; 14th August 2010 at 07:18 AM.. Reason: Video links
Posted 7th August 2010, 08:09 AM
awesome to hear that about the gulls, so glad to help and not actually have to be the doing it for a change!!!
as for the custard dish, i'll try to find a pic, but basically you want to find a dish that's just a little bit bigger than him but has high sides, not so high that he can't back up and out to poop but high enough for when he tucks down to sleep it will be a little higher than his head, so when he's sleeping he is surrounded by the tissue to help him keep warm and cozy.
okay now i go look for some pics
Posted 7th August 2010, 08:12 AM
here's a pic of a house finch i had in a custard dish in a my homemade brooder

Posted 7th August 2010, 08:20 AM
awwww! what do you feed those babies, the kaytee? I want a canary so bad, worry about my new kitty though, how could I put a cage where the kitten can not scare it?
Posted 7th August 2010, 08:36 AM
not sure what to feed a canary, but the songbirds i feed a recipe very similar to the fons diet (formula for nestling songbirds)
i would be scared to have a cat around a little bird like a canary, a large parrot i wouldn't worry so much about but i think it would be unfair to the bird to have a cat staring at you all day thinking about eating you.
i know there are people out there that have cats and birds, i myself won't ever have a cat again, i just have too many birds now that started to come into my life after my last cat passed away.
one of my favorite cartoons, lol

Tags
canary