Baby canary close to death - Page 3 - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Archives > Archive - Other Birds

Posted 7th August 2010, 08:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by altgirl35 View Post
not sure what to feed a canary, but the songbirds i feed a recipe very similar to the fons diet (formula for nestling songbirds)
i would be scared to have a cat around a little bird like a canary, a large parrot i wouldn't worry so much about but i think it would be unfair to the bird to have a cat staring at you all day thinking about eating you.
i know there are people out there that have cats and birds, i myself won't ever have a cat again, i just have too many birds now that started to come into my life after my last cat passed away.
one of my favorite cartoons, lol
hee hee! funny. yes, she is young and I can see her wanting to... well..do what cats do, even though she only has one front leg.. I'll have to wait. I would want to put the cage here by my computer since Im here alot.

Last edited by spirit wings; 14th August 2010 at 05:49 AM..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 7th August 2010, 10:29 AM
Teresa, I had a look at the video clips and, you're right, he's all over the place . I took this as a very good sign and this sorta hyper-activity will help to sooner build strength, muscle and dexterity in all his limbs.

Karyn
Posted 10th August 2010, 04:30 PM
It's midnight, and he's just had his last feed before daybreak.
He's getting stronger, can put away 2ml of formula now (yay!) and his toes are uncurling! Occasionally he grips my finger with his toes, and that's so cute!

Altgirl35, thank you so much for the pic and the info. (And the cartoon, lol!) His nest is probably the right shape then, as it does everything you said. And I usually 'frill' the tissues it's lined with around the baby after he's eaten.

About his formula, I've been mixing 1/2 songbird hand-rearing formula (the only one that's available here in Portugal) with 1/2 non-dairy baby cereal with honey, which includes calcium, vitamins and a probiotic. He loves it, but baby pigeons hate it, along with all the other recipes I've tried -- so it's tube-feeding for them... Found one today, in fact. Four weeks old, lying in full sun on the ground, more dead than alive, caked in poop and covered in mites. That was 7 hours ago, and he's made it this far. Fingers crossed!

Spirit Wings, I understand your concern about having cats and birds. Even when the cats are very tame, small birds can get frightened. I keep new arrivals in a room the cats are never allowed in.
My resident pigeons are in my study, their cages high enough to feel safe. And then there's Hercules... only 300 g, but when he was in the carrier (ready for a trip to the vet) and my 7 Kg cat Lawrence pressed his nose against the mesh, Hercules gave him such a wingslap, the cat never tried it again!
When I let the pigeons out to exercise, I first make sure the cats are out of the room and double-lock the door.

Posted 11th August 2010, 05:29 AM
Teresa, sounds like he is coming along quite nicely and the formula you have him on sounds good as well. Please continue to keep us updated and some new pics when you get a chance would be great. It also sounds like you have your hands full on the pigeon front, bless you.

Karyn

Last edited by Dobato; 11th August 2010 at 08:52 AM..
Posted 13th August 2010, 05:45 PM

Very worried about Xi-ri

He's been eating well and everything, but the progress with his toes seems to come and go. And when I fed him an hour ago his nest was all wet and smelt like Salmonella.
I googled 'canaries salmonella' to see if there were reported cases and got really scared when I found an article on Salmonella osteomyelitis in canaries, which is diagnosed by bone/articulation deformations with or without intestinal infection. I don't know what to think. I've already got more on my plate than I can handle tomorrow, but I'll have to find a way to take him back to the vet's, only I don't know if they'll be able to do the tests.

Please send healing thoughts his way.

New photo:

Posted 13th August 2010, 06:34 PM
Healing thoughts to Xi-ri! He's beautiful! Joni
Posted 13th August 2010, 06:39 PM
i would just treat him for it with antibiotics
Posted 13th August 2010, 07:49 PM
Teresa, a course of antibiotics may be wise, considering the father's history. In a bird this young and still developing, you may want to ask your vet about using TMS (Trimethoprim/Sulfa) and not Baytril, as Baytril has be cited for having a negative effect in growing birds on their cartilage/bones, and TMS is noted as a more "gentle" antibiotic, but still effective against salmonella. Also, a bird this young should be treated at the same time with Nystatin to prevent a secondary yeast infection developing, from use of an antibiotic.

I would still work on doing the physio with him and see if the vet has a good quality vitamin supplement that you could add to his food.

You've doing great with him,

Karyn

Last edited by Dobato; 13th August 2010 at 07:55 PM..
Posted 13th August 2010, 10:08 PM
Sending HEALING and Conforting thoughts to Xi-ri and you...

With Love and Hugs

Shi
Posted 13th August 2010, 11:54 PM
i been looking at this thread for a while and always thought what do i know about canaries, no reason to read the thread.
but something told me to look.
and wow... im actually emotional right now, cause that baby been thry so much, and i can imagine all your hard work and devotion that been put in to this tiny little bird.
i would actually send u some tyoe a thank you gift. something.. just to say how much i appreciate what u have done.

And about that salmonela, it could be the case, and then it dont have to be it at all. we as a bird parents we tend to worry to much..
I panick if my baby pigeons change color of their poop even tho i know i been changin the diets and so on and so on

Pictures look amazing, and i honestly love that bird wth all my heart..
wish i was there to help u out somehow.

u done such a great job...

i could only see one video.. other two couldnt open for some reason.
but the first one ..is wow, he wants to survive, and he will do anything to survive.

i wish him all the best. from my heart..
i really do love him..

keep up the good work .. and kkeep us posted.
im hoping for one picture every day ......
i loveeeeee you little bird
Posted 14th August 2010, 07:03 AM
Unhappy

I've lost him.

At his last feed late last night he didn't seem interested in his food, and only had 1 ml. I checked the heating pad was at the right temperature and let him rest till morning.
But first thing this morning he didn't greet me as usual. He was very quiet, breathing slowly, closing his eyes often. There was still a little food in his crop. I gave him some warm electrolytes and a drop of Bactrim (TMS) and massaged his crop, hoping to keep him going until the vet's opened. But he was very unresponsive and only managed to sip a few drops. A few minutes later he opened his eyes, took a deeper breath and then snuggled into my hand and closed his eyes again for the last time.
It's unbelievably sad.

Thank you all so much for your kind words and thoughts, and for all the advice and encouragement. We'll just have to believe he's flying high now, free of the cares of this world.
Posted 14th August 2010, 07:50 AM
oh my heart is broken, i'm so sorry teresa, you brought him so far, i thought for sure he was out of danger.
tears in my eyes, my deepest sympathy
rest in peace little one
Posted 14th August 2010, 11:12 AM
Teresa, this is just such extremely sad news. You did such a wonderful job bringing him back from the brink and to now hear this, it is truly heartbreaking. Perhaps we should have got him started on antibiotics earlier, I guess we'll never know, please accept my sincerest condolences. Yes, rest in peace tiny one.

Karyn
Posted 15th August 2010, 09:09 AM
Im so sorry.
Posted 15th August 2010, 09:13 AM
Fly high and free Xi-ri and know you were loved. I'm sorry for your loss.

Tags
canary