Bird seed - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Archives > Archive - Other Birds

Posted 24th July 2009, 05:29 PM

Bird seed

What kind of seed mix attracts the most birds?
Leopard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 24th July 2009, 09:34 PM
Depends on what kind of bird you want to attract .. Different species of wild birds prefer different types of seeds.

Terry

Posted 24th July 2009, 09:52 PM
That's true. A mix with the most variety will probably attract the most different types of birds in your area. Finches love thistle seed, but that should be supplied in a different type of feeder, by itself. But other ingredients found in mixes...jays especially love peanuts, lots of tiny birds will like the millet and milo, black oil sunflower will really attract the cardinals and other grosbeaks, doves and pigeons love safflower (and everything else, haha), countless other birds enjoy dehydrated cherries and other berries, and nuts of other kinds. Whole corn is good too, but watch out, cause squirrels REALLY like to steal the corn.

"It is not only fine feathers that make fine birds." - Aesop

~Semper Fidelis~

Posted 25th July 2009, 04:19 AM
Should I get a small bag of each mix them up in a garbage can and then put it in the feederw (We have 5 bird feeders).
Leopard
Posted 25th July 2009, 04:28 AM
Could be good to put different things in the feeders .. maybe a peanut feeder, seed mix feeder, berries in another, etc. That way you may get an idea what is most popular and possibly which groups of birds you get visiting most.

John

"Pigeons know more than we think - and think more than we know" ~ John D.
Posted 25th July 2009, 04:36 AM
Thanks. I have never found any peanuts in the bird food stores?
Leopard
Posted 25th July 2009, 05:30 AM
I think hanging a thistle feeder and a Black Oil sunflower feeder will attract the nicest variety of birds. What the finches and wood peckers spill from them will get a nice gathering of ground birds picking up the droppings.
Posted 25th July 2009, 05:35 AM
I love wood peckers. We have a huge pilated woodpecker in our back yard!
Leopard
Posted 25th July 2009, 08:03 AM
Lucky! I love Pileateds!

"It is not only fine feathers that make fine birds." - Aesop

~Semper Fidelis~
LokotaLoft
Posted 25th July 2009, 08:30 AM
black oil sunflower seeds will bring in just about anything to your feeders but variety is the spice of life
Posted 25th July 2009, 08:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopard View Post
I love wood peckers. We have a huge pilated woodpecker in our back yard!
Leopard
Woodpeckers love nuts. I use mostly black oil, and throw in some chopped nuts, which you can buy in most places that sell seed, mix in some safflower, and most of the nice songbirds love this mix. I have thistle in separate feeders, and suet feeders. I have even raised mealworms for the birds. By the way, woodpeckers love them too. You'd be surprised what will come for the peanuts. Chicadees, woodpeckers, Carolina wrens, house wrens, cardinals, tufted titmouse, Jays, and more. Mealworms will attract a ton of birds. Squirrels will go after the black oil and nuts. And most chipmonks love safflower. When you start to mix in a lot of the millet and smaller seeds, the house sparrows and starlings which can be a pain at feeders will come. I just set up a feeding section further away for those birds and use the seed they like in them. That way everybody's happy.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Posted 25th July 2009, 10:14 AM
I just found out blue jays loveeeeeeeeeeeee mealworms. I set a dish out of mealworms ( I feed them to my leopard gecko) on our feed tree and the blue jays picked them right of.
Leopard
Posted 25th July 2009, 12:05 PM
I used to breed them for my little carolina wrens that always nested in our yard. The male would land right in my hand to eat them. He's gone now, but the babies and grand kids still come and nest here. I just love interacting with them. It's a lot of fun. I never noticed the blue jays eating them here though. The only problem with that is that they will clean you out. I bred them, so always had so many to spare.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Posted 25th July 2009, 12:54 PM
The nuthatches love the mealworms.
Leopard
Posted 25th July 2009, 01:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopard View Post
The nuthatches love the mealworms.
Leopard
I know. They also love peanuts. I chop mine small. Chicadees love the mealworms too, and the catbirds, and wrens. I have seen a carolina wren defending a mealworm feeder from a house wren who was just as determined.

Tags
bird