Dog Attack on pet Turkey (Graphic Photos will be posted) - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Archives > Archive - Other Birds

Posted 28th September 2010, 02:24 PM

Dog Attack on pet Turkey (Graphic Photos will be posted)

Hey guys, has been awhile since I posted. But I need the advice of our experts out there. This is my juvenile Turkey hen Mallory. She is about 6 to 7 months old. On Sunday evening while I was at work a dog entered our yard and viciously attacked her. Thankfully it was football Sunday and the racket prompted all the guys to go outside and see what was going on. They were able to get the dog off of her and it fled.

But she's just a mess.

We flushed her wounds immediately with a water and alcohol solution and trimmed back the feathers. I have been applying triple antibiotic ointment to her wounds a few times a day. Today I started her on procaine penicillin G injections, 1/2 a ml, once a day.

She has taken up residence in the house in a large wire dog kennel, bedded comfortably, for the length of her recovery. She has no broken bones, no cavity punctures. But the muscle and tissue damage is horrendous. She can stand and walk, although very sorely. Wings are in good shape. I am concerned with the lacerations around her preen gland, and the deepest one on her left side is about 1/2" deep, 3 to 4 inches long and about an inch wide, deep into the muscle. As you will see, there was nothing left to stitch to close these wounds.

The bruising is pretty bad in various spots. Thankfully she did not bleed alot when it happened. There is some seeping now, but nothing free flowing or that would appear to be life threatening.

On the up side, she is very alert but calm, and is eating and drinking well. She is also tolerating me treating her very well, and took this morning's injection to the thigh like a champ.

I don't want to put her down. She just has so much life in her - I do believe she is very capable of recovering. She is a pet Turkey...not Thanksgiving! She's always been very friendly, along with her mate Mickey and this is a major tragedy to us.

Can anyone out there advise me on how to better take care of the wounds topically? Also, is the penicillin going to be sufficient? If there is something better out there I am willing to comb the corners of the earth for it.

Here are the pictures. Brace yourself, I know I do every time I look at her.

You may notice some yellowing there, that is a a "skinned" area coated with antibiotic ointment...so far I am not seeing much infection, if any at all.

Thanks guys...I need all the help I can get. Put in a good word her her with the big guy if you can.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 28th September 2010, 02:30 PM
I would get her to a vet ASAP

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Posted 28th September 2010, 02:33 PM
agreedbut if its not bleeding put a rap or somekind bandade on

Posted 28th September 2010, 02:37 PM
I gave my vet a call and she recommended to start her on the penicillin, but won't take a turkey in her office. She said she is not only unqualified but also ill equipped to house her in an office full of dogs and thought it would probably do her worse to be brought in to such an atmosphere anyway after what she's been through. I called the vet in the next town over and he just well...kind of laughed at me. It would seem that I am SOL on the vet "option", and not at all happy about it.
Posted 28th September 2010, 02:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipllers rule View Post
agreedbut if its not bleeding put a rap or somekind bandade on
This is not a wound that I think can be wrapped...it is far too open...if bandage to sticks, and it most likely will, it's going to be disturbing tissue in order to change it each time.
I feel like a bandage will cause more harm than good.
Posted 28th September 2010, 02:45 PM
look this up but some kind of liquid bandaid may be able to help

Posted 28th September 2010, 03:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipllers rule View Post
look this up but some kind of liquid bandaid may be able to help
liquid bandage burns on open cuts.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Posted 28th September 2010, 03:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella View Post
I gave my vet a call and she recommended to start her on the penicillin, but won't take a turkey in her office. She said she is not only unqualified but also ill equipped to house her in an office full of dogs and thought it would probably do her worse to be brought in to such an atmosphere anyway after what she's been through. I called the vet in the next town over and he just well...kind of laughed at me. It would seem that I am SOL on the vet "option", and not at all happy about it.
I meant an avian vet. You don't have one?

Posted 28th September 2010, 04:00 PM
The vet I work for treats poultry and livestock.
We got a chicken in with wounds very similar, could not be stitched.
He cleaned the wound, pulled the feathers around it, gave a shot of penicillin.
**For the dressing he makes a Honey and Sugar Paste (1/2 and 1/2 of each), completely coats the wound. It granulates and helps the healing process.
You have to keep applying it to the wound.**
Hope this helps

http://cottageontheseacoastloft.weebly.com/index.html
"In Solitude there is Strength, In Strength there is Spirit"
Posted 28th September 2010, 04:45 PM
Honey works well. I have seen a sugar and maalox paste used on wounds on people.

Posted 28th September 2010, 05:16 PM
You might find this interesting.

ScienceDaily: Your source for the latest research news and science breakthroughs -- updated daily
Science News
Share Blog Cite
Print Email Bookmark
Healing Honey: The Sweet Evidence Revealed

ScienceDaily (Apr. 7, 2006) — Substantial evidence demonstrates that honey, one of the oldest healing remedies known to medicine, produces effective results when used as a wound dressing. Scientists performed 22 trials involving 2,062 patients treated with honey, as well as an additional 16 trials that were performed on experimental animals. Honey was

* Honey's antibacterial quality not only rapidly clears existing infection, it protects wounds from additional infection
* Honey debrides wounds and removes malodor
* Honey's anti-inflammatory activity reduces edema and minimizes scarring
* Honey stimulates growth of granulation and epithelial tissues to speed healing

The review article was written by Dr. P.C. Molan of New Zealand's University Waikato. He noted that, although the many randomized controlled clinical trials strongly support the use the honey in wound care; the trials may not have been double-blind. Of course, double blind testing would be difficult to achieve because honey is a very recognizable substance.

Molan concludes, "the barrier to using honey that has existed for many clinicians who have been constrained to using only licensed products has been removed now that honey is available in the form of various sterile products licensed for use in wound care. Clinicians should check the evidence that exists to support the use of honey."

Article: "The Evidence Supporting the Use of Honey as a Wound Dressing" The International
Journal of Lower Extremity Wounds

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0407151107.htm

Posted 28th September 2010, 05:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay3 View Post
You might find this interesting.

ScienceDaily: Your source for the latest research news and science breakthroughs -- updated daily
Science News
Share Blog Cite
Print Email Bookmark
Healing Honey: The Sweet Evidence Revealed

ScienceDaily (Apr. 7, 2006) Substantial evidence demonstrates that honey, one of the oldest healing remedies known to medicine, produces effective results when used as a wound dressing. Scientists performed 22 trials involving 2,062 patients treated with honey, as well as an additional 16 trials that were performed on experimental animals. Honey was

* Honey's antibacterial quality not only rapidly clears existing infection, it protects wounds from additional infection
* Honey debrides wounds and removes malodor
* Honey's anti-inflammatory activity reduces edema and minimizes scarring
* Honey stimulates growth of granulation and epithelial tissues to speed healing

The review article was written by Dr. P.C. Molan of New Zealand's University Waikato. He noted that, although the many randomized controlled clinical trials strongly support the use the honey in wound care; the trials may not have been double-blind. Of course, double blind testing would be difficult to achieve because honey is a very recognizable substance.

Molan concludes, "the barrier to using honey that has existed for many clinicians who have been constrained to using only licensed products has been removed now that honey is available in the form of various sterile products licensed for use in wound care. Clinicians should check the evidence that exists to support the use of honey."

Article: "The Evidence Supporting the Use of Honey as a Wound Dressing" The International
Journal of Lower Extremity Wounds

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0407151107.htm
Good link! Thanks
I didn't have any written info about it. The vet I work for uses this all the time on poultry.

http://cottageontheseacoastloft.weebly.com/index.html
"In Solitude there is Strength, In Strength there is Spirit"
Posted 28th September 2010, 05:50 PM
Bella, sorry to see what has happened to your pet. What is the strength of the Procaine Penicillin G you have (how many mg per mL) and how much does your turkey weight? With appropriate treatment, she should recover from these wounds. Going forward only use warm saline to cleanse the wound if it gets dirty, you can make this by adding 1 tablespoon of salt to a quart of water (best if you use boiled or distilled water), since the wound is large, you can use a spray bottle to rinse when needed. The use of a antibiotic ointment is fine, but do not use peroxide or alcohol on this wound, as well as acting as disinfectants these two antiseptics can slow down the healing process by damaging new cell growth and causing irritation.

Karyn

Last edited by Dobato; 28th September 2010 at 05:58 PM..
Posted 28th September 2010, 05:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msfreebird View Post
Good link! Thanks
I didn't have any written info about it. The vet I work for uses this all the time on poultry.
Your welcome. It was a great suggestion you made. Like I said, it is used on people for wound healing.

Posted 29th September 2010, 02:13 AM
Hi Bella,

I have read some really good reports about the use of Honey also.

Normally I use the Silversulfadiazine Ointment on things in this Ball Park, but, I intend to try Honey next time I get one in.

Best if the entire Wound can be kept moist and soft and supple, as well as reasonbably clean/sterile.

She's probably a pretty robust little girl and will get through this just fine.

If you wanted to up her offerings of fresh Greens and ripe Fruits, all the better.

Cilantro is a good one...and minced ripe Apples also.

Does she like Canned Sardines?

Be very good for her if she does.

Good luck!

Phil
Lv

Tags
turkey injury