Help! What do we do with this egg? - Page 2 - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Archives > Archive - Other Birds

Posted 15th September 2007, 11:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tortie View Post
We had been rolling it before, but read somewhere that about 3 days prior to hatching you stop rolling it so the baby can get into position to pip out of the shell. Is that right? Should we still be rolling it?

Is it alright if we put a paper towel over the sock under the baby to catch poop or would that not work in keeping the legs from splaying?

We will keep you updated on any developments!
It is my understanding that you stop turning the egg a few days before hatching. Hopefully someone who really knows will be along to comment.

The paper towel over the sock kind of defeats the goal of providing an easy to grip substrate. You might want to try using a piece of the rubberized shelf liner which can be washed and reused.

Terry

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 18th September 2007, 11:20 AM
After a couple of days closely monitoring the egg, today we have found small cracks beginning to appear in the shell! We read that it can take up to 20 hrs for the baby to make it out though, is that correct? If it starts to look like the chick can't make it out on its own can we help it and at what point??
Posted 18th September 2007, 12:24 PM
Yes, you can help it out, but there are very experienced folks on here that know and can advise. I'd think if it hasn't made it out in 24 hours then it's time for rescue squad.

Fingers crossed
I cannot help that I was born without a golden egg . . . . . . .
So when you walk by me, please look me in the eye.
If it would come down to it -- would I live or die?

-- Joyce Glass

Flitsnowzoom

Posted 18th September 2007, 02:45 PM
It has now been about 4 hours since we've seen the first cracks, however is it a concern if the baby is not actually puncturing the egg shell? There are some cracks visible but there is no actual "hole" as most people have mentioned in describing pippng. I am worried that the baby is too weak to break the shell.
Posted 18th September 2007, 03:20 PM
Don't know if will help but here's a link.
http://www.msstate.edu/dept/poultry/trouble.htm#PIP

It's geared for chickens, but . . .

http://www.hatching-egg.com/hatching_egg.html
another one.

http://www.ext.vt.edu/resources/4h/v...velopment.html

It's amazing what's out there. I guess if the chick is pipping into the air sac it has a much better success rate (which makes sense as it is an airbreather).

Go back and read the link on incubating the egg that was posted earlier in this thread.

I haven't read anything yet on helping them out but if it doesn't seem to progress after several hours you might help a bit.

Good luck

-- Joyce Glass

Flitsnowzoom

Last edited by flitsnowzoom; 18th September 2007 at 03:40 PM..
Posted 18th September 2007, 06:11 PM
Tortie,

I think it is too soon to be considering helping out. It's good that you are keeping close watch on what is happening, though. When I've seen babies pipping out, there weren't what looked like cracks to me but rather what I would describe as dents in the eggshell. Eventually, there was a line of dents going around the circumference of the egg which then split open to free the baby. It is very risky to help the baby prematurely as the least little mishap can cause a bleed that can kill the little one. Sometimes it is necessary to help, but I think you need to wait a bit longer.

Hopefully someone who is really up on their incubating and hatching will be along to help us out.

Terry

Posted 19th September 2007, 05:04 AM
It takes between 15 to 30 hours between the first pipping and hatching, if the egg is pipped and cracked the circumfrance of egg, then the chick will break free and the egg splits in half- that is the normal way they hatch as I have seen with mine.

If you don't see any progress in the cracking of egg in this manner, then you should intervene, otherwise just let nature take its course.

If there is just a hole where the baby is and there is no further cracking, it is possible the chick is too weak to turn in the shell and break it open, or that the shell contents are drying out and the chick is stuck to the shell and can't move. You can try two things, gently remove shell so chicks head is free, or put a little saliva into the hole of the egg, the saliva is warm and slippery and will help the chick to move around and break free, if it is healthy.

Are you prepared to be a surrogate mother or have found a home with pigeon pair to feed it? Keep the egg/baby warm and it needs to be receiving its first "pigeon milk" meal within a few hours after hatching?

Last edited by Skyeking; 19th September 2007 at 05:13 AM..
Posted 19th September 2007, 05:11 AM
Unhappy

It has been almost 19 hours now and unfortunately there is not been any progress since we initially saw some cracks. It is not going the circumference of the egg, it is just pipping at the same spot and not breaking through. We peeled a tiny bit of shell off (but not the membrane under it) and exposed a small hole where the baby had been pipping. The membrane appears somewhat dry although we are keeping the environment rather humid. When holding up a light to the egg we can see the baby moving slightly, but its movements definitely appear weak and we believe it won't make it out on its own.

We are pretty sure we're going to have to assist it out, but are not sure how long to wait. From reading some other threads, it seems that waiting too long will make the baby too weak to survive after it is out of the shell. But at the same time we do not want to get it out too early.
Posted 19th September 2007, 05:13 AM
I'm wondering if it is stuck to the shell and can't free itself?
Posted 19th September 2007, 05:19 AM
PLEASE read my post, the baby is probably stuck to the shell, so you need to help lubricate the shell within and help gently by removing the egg shell around the head. Go very slow as it can be bloody.

Make sure you have a proper nest bowl with good bottom of material that will give traction to the baby's feet. Keep baby very warm.

IF you are going to use Kaytee, please add some probiotics (and enzymes) or good organic kefir/yogurt to the formula. It should be very thin and runny in the beginning.

Posted 19th September 2007, 05:35 AM
Check you PM

Posted 19th September 2007, 05:49 AM
Whoops Treesa did not see your previous post before I did mine. We removed the part of the egg where the air cell was and the membrane is definitely dried out and stuck to the baby. We put some saliva on it. It looks like it is gasping for air though. can we break the membrane?
Posted 19th September 2007, 05:54 AM
Yes, gently open and ALLOW baby to get out by itself.

Last edited by Skyeking; 19th September 2007 at 06:30 AM..
Posted 19th September 2007, 06:17 AM
I understand that a fairly high humidity is critical during this last stage to make sure the egg shell and membranes do not dry out too much. Maybe spritz the egg or the nesting material with a bit of H2O to provide a bit of humidity.

Were you able to quickly read through the info on the links that were posted earlier? That might provide a few ideas if your chick isn't making much progress.

Hoping and praying for a good outcome.

-- Joyce Glass

Flitsnowzoom

Posted 19th September 2007, 06:27 AM
Here is the PM sent to me by tortie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortie

We have freed the beak but the rest of the head is still inside, we are afraid to go any further because part of the membrane is now bleeding. Is it that ok? The part of the egg shell we have been removing has reached the edge of the air cell and the rest looks attached to the membrane.
If the membrane is bloody then it is too soon for the egg to hatch, did you check your temperature on the incubator to make sure it is set at the right degree?

I have never experienced any blood on an already hatching chick, just chipped away some of the egg around the baby's head to allow it to hatch the rest of the way.

Last edited by Skyeking; 19th September 2007 at 06:30 AM..

Tags
heating pad, nest bowl, nesting material, pet store, pigeon milk, wildlife rescue