Long Earred Owl vs. the Red-tailed Hawk - Page 2 - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Archives > Archive - Other Birds

Posted 10th March 2010, 08:55 AM
Smile

Absolutely - positively never handle one of these guys

without wearing a good double lined nylon or leather jacket and pair of good quality welders gloves (leather garden gloves or cotton painters gloves etc. just won't cut the mustard). These birds have everything on their talons from rabbies to the black plague, they can give you a puncture wound that you won't forget, and it only takes a little tiny hole for the germs to come in.

NAB :-)

They feed on rodents and some (like the Vultures) feed on clarion. Even the cutest little fellows can be carrying some mighty bad stuff on those needle sharp feet

Last edited by nabisho; 10th March 2010 at 08:59 AM..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 10th March 2010, 10:03 AM
Not really in line with this thread, but pertains somewhat.

I just heard a story on CNN that there is a rash of owl attacks in northern California. Owls preying on small dogs and cats.

On the surface, one would think a small dog or cat could potentially inflict so much injury on an owl that they would look elsewheres for a meal. Maybe food is scarce or maybe the Great Horned Owls have learned domestic dogs and cats are woosies.
Posted 10th March 2010, 10:30 AM
Smile

GHOs are nesting right now

any small dog or cat that gets near a GHO's nest tree could be gone. The GHO is the only bird in North America that can run a Red-Taled Hawk or Bald Eagle out of their nest and move in to raise it's babies. The GHO is a mighty tough bird, a full grown adult female can easily snatch and carry off a full grown squirrel, I've seen one flying off with a live 4 foot Gopher snake in it's talons.

Posted 10th March 2010, 10:31 AM
awww, i love saw whet owls, they are sooo adorable!!!.
scary about the owls, if i lived in no cal i would keep my critters indoors at night.
i know when i had my little 7lb doxie i used to always watch the sky for hawks when we were out walking, she had long hair and would hop thru the grass like a little bunny, i knew how she must look to a hungry hawk
Posted 11th March 2010, 02:08 PM
Love those beautiful muffed legs on the GHO!

Years ago, a friend almost lost her little old Pomeranian dog from her back yard when an owl mistook it for a bunny. The owl dropped the dog soon after grabbing it but the infections resulting from the talon punctures required extensive drains and antibiotics to heal!
Posted 11th March 2010, 03:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerriB View Post
Love those beautiful muffed legs on the GHO!

Years ago, a friend almost lost her little old Pomeranian dog from her back yard when an owl mistook it for a bunny. The owl dropped the dog soon after grabbing it but the infections resulting from the talon punctures required extensive drains and antibiotics to heal!
oh no, poor little doggie he's lucky to be alive
Posted 11th March 2010, 03:40 PM
Thank God the bird dropped her. I had a Yorkie, and used to watch too.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Posted 11th March 2010, 07:47 PM
GREAT picture, as always, Nab!! What a handsome Owl!

From his expression, I wouldn't want to mess with him either!! That look just SCREAMS: BUZZ OFF or take the consequences!! (a.k.a. ATTACK!)

Love and Hugs
Shi
Posted 10th September 2010, 05:03 AM
He is so pretty. Love the eyes.
Posted 15th September 2010, 02:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabisho View Post
The RTH won this time, when this fellow came in he had a puffed out air bubble the size of a grapefruit on his crop/neck from a puncture wound, no doubt from tangling with a RTH over nesting territory. We got all the air out and got the puncture sealed back up. He got his bandages off Sunday night and so far all is looking good, no leaks yet and he should be good to go in a couple weeks. Looks like the spring procession of mayhem is going to start early this year.

he looks scary, i wouldnt get close to him not even for a million, well, yeah, for a million, i would eat him, feathers and everything
He's in his defense pose, if I got any closer he would have given me a wing-slap like nothing any of my pigeons could do.

he looks scary, i wouldnt get close to him not even for a million, well, yeah, for a million, i would eat him, feathers and everything he is a handsome fellow, i have 1 here, that i feed.
Posted 15th September 2010, 02:40 PM
owls are amazing animals, very smart and dangerous, u dont want to mess with a nest, they always seem to want to scratch u on the eyes. and yes,they are adorable, but they carry every disease on the book, nevertheless, they have an immune system from hell, they dont have 2 many enemies, but they are not afraid to fight an eagle if they get cornered.

Tags
rth