My first lovers - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Archives > Archive - Other Birds

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Kimberly_CA Kimberly_CA is offline
Posted 20th April 2008, 08:26 AM
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 330

My first lovers


I only have 3 birds and 2 have fallen in love. I found the white homer (the girl) last year. I have another male but he is still very young and she never really hd anything to do with him. I recently came across another bird found on the street with wings clipped really short, he was someones pet. Never did find the owner. He is a lahore or a lahore mix. He has feathered white feet but i didn't wanna make him move just for a picture Next time.

I am happy they love each other so much, because I was feeling sorry for the white homer girl who I had for a long time without a mate. Within a day or 2 of meeting they were flirting and now it's serious, i'm expecting little ones pretty soon, very excited. here is the happy couple, Buck and Sky very much in love -

Last edited by Kimberly_CA; 26th September 2008 at 09:20 PM..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Charis's Avatar
Charis Charis is offline
Posted 20th April 2008, 08:49 AM
Join Date: Feb 2007
Country: United States
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 13,042
They are just beautiful.
__________________
Charis




If all the beasts were
gone, men would die
from great loneliness of
spirit, for whatever
happens to the beasts
also happens to the man.
Seattle 1736-1866



Another Life, Gone To The Birds!

DO NO HARM

Member, International Wildlife Rehabilitation Council
Skyeking's Avatar
Skyeking Skyeking is offline
Posted 20th April 2008, 08:52 AM
Join Date: Jan 2003
Country: United States
Location: SE Coast Central Florida
Posts: 25,396
They definitely compliment each other, what nice pair!

Thank you for sharing the pictures.



__________________
 
Margarret Margarret is offline
Posted 20th April 2008, 09:00 AM
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southern Calif.
Posts: 2,014
What a lovely couple they are all snuggled together in the nest. I'm sure eggs will be happening soon! We will look forward to baby pictures.

Margaret
Kimberly_CA Kimberly_CA is offline
Posted 20th April 2008, 09:13 AM
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 330
Thank you guys so much , I wonder what the babies will look like hmmmm.....anyone care to venture an educated/uneducated guess?

Oh and for anyone who didn't read my other thread.... I will only be letting them have babies once, unless I get an actual loft. Dummy eggs after this.

Here they are enjoying this morning.....you can't see Buck, he's at the bottom.

Last edited by Kimberly_CA; 27th September 2008 at 03:17 PM..
spirit wings spirit wings is offline
Posted 20th April 2008, 09:24 AM
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 20,301
I thinks it is so cool that pijns will nest in just about anything you put in there. when i'm out shopping I see possible nest bowl use in stuff I never even thought about. beautiful pair!
Kimberly_CA Kimberly_CA is offline
Posted 20th April 2008, 01:25 PM
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 330
Yeah they seem to really love the cooking pot, silly birds. The male has been sitting in it all day calling her to him. Then 5 min go he was walking around the bottom and she came down and chased him around (shes a real go-getter it seems, if she wasn't on the bottom i'd think she was the boy) and then they locked beaks (whats that about?) and then....not to be a bird pervert.......then they "yanno"......

Sorry if too much information, i'm just excited lol Won't be long now

and now they are cuddling in their pot
Chicken_Pigeon Chicken_Pigeon is offline
Posted 20th April 2008, 02:08 PM
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 46
Do I hear wedding bells on the horizon? I think I do!!! I can't believe that they're all ready on having babies on the first 2 days. I guess thats how pigeon love is...

Last edited by Chicken_Pigeon; 20th April 2008 at 02:10 PM..
maryjane's Avatar
maryjane maryjane is offline
Posted 20th April 2008, 02:16 PM
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 4,808
How romantic!
__________________
A rescuer's work is never done
"You can judge a society by the way it treats its animals" -Gandhi

Talk to me,
Coo to me,
Bow to me,
Listen to me.
And I'll teach you
To fly with me
And I will love you
Like no other....


http://picasaweb.google.com/awrats3333

21 Amazing Facts You Might Not Know About Pigeons!
Maggie-NC Maggie-NC is offline
Posted 20th April 2008, 04:25 PM
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 9,856
They make a stunning couple. I know they'll have beautiful babies and you know we want more pictures.
Lovebirds's Avatar
Lovebirds Lovebirds is offline
Posted 20th April 2008, 04:31 PM
Join Date: Sep 2002
Country: United States
Location: Virginia
Posts: 15,536
Those are pretty birds. I would consider seriously getting that third bird out of the cage. When pigeons lay eggs and have babies, they get very territorial and I'm betting that it's just a matter of time before the "third wheel" starts catching heck. Especially if it's a male. That makes it even a worse scenario.
__________________
Renee
Kimberly_CA Kimberly_CA is offline
Posted 20th April 2008, 04:50 PM
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovebirds View Post
Those are pretty birds. I would consider seriously getting that third bird out of the cage. When pigeons lay eggs and have babies, they get very territorial and I'm betting that it's just a matter of time before the "third wheel" starts catching heck. Especially if it's a male. That makes it even a worse scenario.
Yes I have been seriously considering that all day...as they dont want to let him eat. I have him in a box right now in peace with food and water. I think I might just give him to this lady I know who has a nice loft about 2 hours from here. Unless someone here wants him? I know he would be in good hands with you guys....he is a checkered blue, feral type found only 2 weeks old. He is 6 months old and I live in Rocklin which is near Sacramento California. and I would drive up to 2 hours since thats how far I would go to the lady's house anyways....

also this is the wrong place but in case someone can answer....if you do not provide any nest bowl or box or whatever and no nesting material, will the birds still mate? I know I can use dummy eggs but i'm more interested in preventing future territorial courtship behavior.....because I would really like to keep the babies....fingers crossed for female kids to make things easier.

Thank you all for such sweet compliments. It's nice to hear from all u pros
Lovebirds's Avatar
Lovebirds Lovebirds is offline
Posted 20th April 2008, 05:13 PM
Join Date: Sep 2002
Country: United States
Location: Virginia
Posts: 15,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberly_CA View Post

also this is the wrong place but in case someone can answer....if you do not provide any nest bowl or box or whatever and no nesting material, will the birds still mate? I know I can use dummy eggs but i'm more interested in preventing future territorial courtship behavior.....because I would really like to keep the babies....fingers crossed for female kids to make things easier.


It really won't matter. If they want to mate and MOST of the time they do.....they'll do it no matter what. Just have to keep those wooden eggs ready. My hens lay eggs in the corner of the loft all the time and fully expect (and know) that Mom will bring them a nest bowl with a ready made nest.
As far as the babies, here's what most likely will happen. For the first 30 day, maybe even 35, everything will be ok. Then one day, Dad and Mom, mostly Dad, will decide that these two kids have got to go. By that time, Mom will be on another set of eggs and that is what they will concentrate on.
Pigeons don't see their kids as "their kids" after a certain point. They just become another pigeon that's invading their territory.
You will most likely have to separate the babies eventually, so you can start thinking about that now. If they were in a loft or at least in a bigger space, you MIGHT get away with leaving them, but I doubt seriously that it's going to work out in that cage.
__________________
Renee
Kimberly_CA Kimberly_CA is offline
Posted 26th April 2008, 02:31 AM
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 330
We have the first egg......wow that was really fast. I wasn't expecting it yet. Mom has been sitting on it a couple hours.... (does that mean she is only having one or she is just extra attentive?)
Kimberly_CA Kimberly_CA is offline
Posted 26th April 2008, 02:33 AM
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovebirds View Post
It really won't matter. If they want to mate and MOST of the time they do.....they'll do it no matter what. Just have to keep those wooden eggs ready. My hens lay eggs in the corner of the loft all the time and fully expect (and know) that Mom will bring them a nest bowl with a ready made nest.
As far as the babies, here's what most likely will happen. For the first 30 day, maybe even 35, everything will be ok. Then one day, Dad and Mom, mostly Dad, will decide that these two kids have got to go. By that time, Mom will be on another set of eggs and that is what they will concentrate on.
Pigeons don't see their kids as "their kids" after a certain point. They just become another pigeon that's invading their territory.
You will most likely have to separate the babies eventually, so you can start thinking about that now. If they were in a loft or at least in a bigger space, you MIGHT get away with leaving them, but I doubt seriously that it's going to work out in that cage.
I will mostly likely end up with a loft eventually...I can see it already. I bet this is how it starts with a lot of people eh....
 

Tags
dummy eggs, nest bowl, nesting material, white homer, wooden eggs

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Sitemap:1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
2000-2016 pigeons.biz