7 Rescued pijjies * 4 Have a Forever home - Page 2 - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Archives > Archive - Wild or 'Feral' Pigeons

Posted 10th March 2008, 08:43 AM
Those are absolutely beautiful birds, and so are the people who stepped up to help them and give them homes. Well, you're not beautiful birds, but you know what i mean..

Posted 10th March 2008, 08:51 AM
If there are birds available later this spring, after loft repairs/renovations are completed, I can take some of these poor little ones. Big plans for the pigeon coop (my husband will have a hissy fit, ah, such is life). Will have solid ceiling put in, and whole new door, an actual "house " door instead of something just thrown together out of boards. And then a new paint job, with the assistance of my grandsons adding the paint decorations (6 and 3 yrs old)
Daryl
Posted 10th March 2008, 09:09 AM
A great thank you to all who were involved in rescuing these pigeons. They are absolutely beautiful. Tipper, thank you for taking four of them. I know they will be loved and cared for with you. Cindy, thank you for providing the temp shelter. I love the photo of them looking out the window. I'm late to this thread, so don't know the particulars. I'll see if I can find the start. You Arizona folks ROCK!

Margaret

Posted 10th March 2008, 01:29 PM
Great news to hear that these four have gone to a forever home!

Lindi
Posted 10th March 2008, 01:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonmama View Post
...and whole new door, an actual "house " door instead of something just thrown together out of boards. And then a new paint job, with the assistance of my grandsons adding the paint decorations (6 and 3 yrs old)
Daryl
hahaha! our lofts must have the same carpenter Smart idea, recruiting the grandkids
Posted 10th March 2008, 03:27 PM
Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to give an update on Gilbert, Mesa, Big Red and Isabella. They seem to be settling in quite well. Gilbert, Mesa and Big Red are currently having a siesta on the fan blades on their screened porch/cage. I keep telling them not to get too used to that because once the heat arrives the fan is on 24/7. I spent this morning making a bunch of alternate places to perch so I'm sure they'll adapt when the time comes. Little Isabella is quite nervous and just wants somewhere to hide. I'm sure it's her lack of flying ability plus her wing may hurt. Last night they all slept together in a little cupboard I put out for them but she looked cold and fluffed out this morning so I may bring her in tonight. This afternoon I set her up in 2 cat carriers set door to door with a bath towel draped over one. That gives her privacy and security with food and water available but lets her walk into the other side and get some sun if she wants.

Gus, our other pigeon has his beak quite out of joint. Especially because I booted his butt out to the porch for some enforced 'getting to know you' time. You can see him occasionally think "Girl!" but having been raised by humans his pigeon etiquette is nil. No candy, no flowers, just hop on. Or in his case - try to hop on and Mesa scoots out from under him. But she does seem slightly interested if only he was a little less Neanderthal.

I have some pictures and when my daughter shows me how to upload them I'll get them posted.
Posted 10th March 2008, 06:06 PM
Congratulations! That is wonderful news. Hopefully the other ones will find great homes as well.

I look forward to the day when Squeaks actually gets to raise a real baby. He'll be so proud, he'll probably fall right off the nest in his proudness.

Talk to me,
Coo to me,
Bow to me,
Listen to me.
And I'll teach you
To fly with me
And I will love you
Like no other....

http://picasaweb.google.com/awrats3333

21 Amazing Facts You Might Not Know About Pigeons!
Posted 20th March 2008, 12:44 PM
can you guys release them? or are their injuries preventing them from going back to the wild.

If they can't return then i hope you find the rest a good place to live in.

"I want to share a story with you. In return I hope you share it with another person. As a result, that person shares it with another person and so on. When one day someone tells me that same story, I will know that I have contributed to make this world a better place."
Posted 20th March 2008, 07:15 PM
Another update. Everyone has settled in quite nicely. We spent this morning rearranging their perches and hanging baskets now that I know their preferences. Gilbert and Mesa have decided they are a 'couple' and share two hanging baskets. He's spending time rearranging stuff in one and she sits in the other and watches but they spend the nights together. Saw them billing this afternoon. Mesa thinks Gilbert's a bit slow on the uptake as to what happens next although he did get the idea once.

Big Red has his own hanging basket with his own food dish in it. Gilbert is a bit bossy about who can eat when from the community food dish so I want to make sure he doesn't go hungry. He's spends a lot of time napping and (I hope) working on healing his foot. He still limps but it looks healthy in terms of infection etc.

Little Isabella can fly short distances now but seems to feel the kitchen is actually a better place to live than the porch. She gets up late and around lunchtime strolls out to visit the others, has something to eat and then spends an hour or so watching the quail and doves in the yard. Then she comes back in and wanders around the house until its dinnertime. Gus is still being fairly disagreeable so I made her a cardboard screen she can hide behind when he gets too rough. She has wing-slapped him so she's not intimidated but I don't want her using her bad wing any more than she needs to.

They seem quite happy but I think Gilbert would like to fly outside. Sometimes he'll sit, looking outside, on the cactus skeleton I have hanging and very slowly lift and lower his wings. I'm sure he'd head straight back to his neighborhood so he'll just have to dream.
Posted 20th March 2008, 07:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipper View Post
Another update. Everyone has settled in quite nicely. We spent this morning rearranging their perches and hanging baskets now that I know their preferences. Gilbert and Mesa have decided they are a 'couple' and share two hanging baskets. He's spending time rearranging stuff in one and she sits in the other and watches but they spend the nights together. Saw them billing this afternoon. Mesa thinks Gilbert's a bit slow on the uptake as to what happens next although he did get the idea once.

Big Red has his own hanging basket with his own food dish in it. Gilbert is a bit bossy about who can eat when from the community food dish so I want to make sure he doesn't go hungry. He's spends a lot of time napping and (I hope) working on healing his foot. He still limps but it looks healthy in terms of infection etc.

Little Isabella can fly short distances now but seems to feel the kitchen is actually a better place to live than the porch. She gets up late and around lunchtime strolls out to visit the others, has something to eat and then spends an hour or so watching the quail and doves in the yard. Then she comes back in and wanders around the house until its dinnertime. Gus is still being fairly disagreeable so I made her a cardboard screen she can hide behind when he gets too rough. She has wing-slapped him so she's not intimidated but I don't want her using her bad wing any more than she needs to.

They seem quite happy but I think Gilbert would like to fly outside. Sometimes he'll sit, looking outside, on the cactus skeleton I have hanging and very slowly lift and lower his wings. I'm sure he'd head straight back to his neighborhood so he'll just have to dream.
Thank you. Nice update. So descriptive I almost feel like I'm there.

If all the beasts were
gone, men would die
from great loneliness of
spirit, for whatever
happens to the beasts
also happens to the man.
Seattle 1736-1866

Another Life, Gone To The Birds!

DO NO HARM

Member, International Wildlife Rehabilitation Council
Posted 20th March 2008, 07:53 PM
Quote:

He could be thinking how hectic his life was then and how kick back and relaxed it is now.

Quote:
very slowly lift and lower his wings

That was a pigeon sigh of relief.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mark 1:10
And straightway coming up out of the water, He saw the heavens opened, and the Spirit like a dove descending upon Him.

Tags
beautiful birds, injured wing, pigeon coop